It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

kiefer617 HB User
How long for an external hemorrhoid lump to go away?

I'm a 39 yo man, who developed an external hemorrhoid for the first time ever about four weeks ago after a bout of diahrreah. I was in a lot of pain for the first day, and after a week, there was a lot of itching, but both those symptoms have gone away. What I'm left with is a lump thats about the size of half a grape, right on my anus, and it's as big as it was that first day four weeks ago! I've done everything they tell you to do -- sitz baths, exercise, drink lots of water, increase fiber, Tucks, Prep H, etc., even taken Horse Chestnut. I've been to my doctor who said it wasn't a thrombosed external hemorrhoid and that the lump should go away in 2-4 weeks. Has anyone had a similar experience, and did their lump ever go away, and were they left with skin tags? I'm just really stressed that this isn't resolving itself and would love to hear from anyone who has already gone through this. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to kiefer617 For This Useful Post:
ummagumma19 (07-01-2011)
Old 09-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

59yearold HB User
Re: How long for an external hemorrhoid lump to go away?

I too, got an external hemmorrhoid after a severe bout of diarrehea. Some of the swelling and most of the pain went away in about a week, but their was still swelling for a long time. I found when my hemmorrhoid is swollen it really helps to ice it a couple of times a day. This will usually take care of the swelling. Also, try to keep your stool from being hard because the straining will keep it from healing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
(male)

fafafofe HB User

Kiefer - what ever happened with your external hemmroid?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
(male)

kiefer617 HB User

Well, after about five weeks of NO improvement, it started to resolve itself very quickly and was gone within a few days. Luckily I was not left with any skin tags (I think that was my biggest fear!) I do think now though I have anal fissures --it just feels like little tears, it stings when I wash the area, and there is always a little blood on the toilet paper after bowel movements. Then it itches like mad and seems to be healing only to get aggravated and the whole cycle starts again! I've gone back to my old diet as eating more fiber didn't help at all and actually made me constipated, gassy, and really uncomfortable. I do try to soak in warm water at least once a day and am trying really hard to relax and not strain at all when I go to the bathroom. God, six months ago I never could have imagined I'd be having so many issues regarding this matter!!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
(male)

fafafofe HB User

Thanks for getting back to me on this keifer. Your story is my story. I too am 39 years old and have done everything imaginable. eating, exercising, sitz baths, gallons of water, fruits, veggies, etc. I also have an external hemmie about the size of two peas right next to each other. Tuesday will be three weeks with the hemmie for me. It doesn't hurt anymore, doesn't bleed, the only problem I am having is minor cleaning after a BM and associated itching. But I take care of that as soon as I have a chance to take a shower or clean a little better. I am freaked out because it is simply still there and hasn't really changed size. I am happy to hear that yours resolved in that 5 week time frame. I have read on line that it could take as long as 6 weeks and I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist in mid December just in case it is still around. I guess I'll just keep doing what I am doing.

Hey Keifer, can you imagine what is going to happen to us when we turn 40 ?!!!

Last edited by fafafofe; 11-02-2008 at 07:03 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to fafafofe For This Useful Post:
Payton23 (09-20-2012)
Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
(male)

kiefer617 HB User

No problem....I know, having an external hemmorhoid sucks. It was frustrating trying to find information and first-hand accounts online because I had NO idea what to expect with this thing. So I'm glad I can be of help. Keep me posted on how your progressing....

Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
(male)

fafafofe HB User

I know there are a lot of "lurkers" on this board so I thought I'd post an update. I went to see my doctor today. I have now had my external hemmie for 3 1/2 weeks. He confirmed that yes, it is an external hemmie. He said that I am doing everything that can be done (fiber, fruits, veggies, water, exercise, sitz baths when needed, etc.) He said that these can last up to 8 weeks and many just get re absorbed by the body. He told me to follow up with him in 3 or 4 more weeks and if it has not changed size or anything we can have it removed.

I think I will wait longer than that because I have heard that the surgery and recovery is painful. And this hemmie is not painful at all, doesn't bleed, it is just there. OK that is the latest and I'll post more if (and WHEN hopefully) it goes away.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
(male)

fafafofe HB User

I had to follow up on this. About 4 1/2 weeks into my condition, the external hemmie finally went away. I just did all the stuff you are "supposed" to do and it subsided. I know it'll flare up again at some point (hopefully not for YEARS).

Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hemorrhoids are veins that have lost their elasticity and once that happen they never become normal again. Sorta like varicose veins.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
(male)

kiefer617 HB User

I'm glad your hemorrhoid finally went away. It was about the same time period for me. I've been having different issues lately. I think I have anal fissures now. It feels like little cuts and tears down there, there is blood on the toilet paper, and it itches a lot. And it keeps getting reaggravated. Everything I read points to fissures although I don't really have a lot of pain. But, I'm so depressed, I thought it was all over when the hemorrhoid went away!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
(male)

mark125 HB User

I have an external hemorrhoid now. I have had one before several years ago. This one is about two weeks old. The first one went away after about 2 weeks.
I guess I will wait and see after reading this thread.
I do appreciate people sharing their experiences on here.
It makes me feel better anyway that others have made it through the same condition.

Last edited by mark125; 09-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
(male)

AZander HB User

You're Hemmorrhoid will never fully go away or cure itself. You will have days where aggravation occurs with possibly lot's of pain involved, and other days where there is no aggravation, but still a lump that forms after BM's, squatting, lifting heavy object, or being active. People with minor hemmorrhoids tend to be the one's who think they are fully cured of their problem, when infact the hemmorrhoid still exists, just not in an aggravated state... It is a bothersome problem that will bother you till a surgeon feels you have reached the point surgery is neccissary to correct the problem. Untill then all you can do is research your heart out to better youself and your problem. One important tip i will give you... NEVER strain or push.. Figure out how to have full BM's in 5 min or less.. Start using baby wipes or tucks pads in replace of TP. If possible, do not use moist wipes, go directly to shower and clean yourself off. Use unscented soap AND wipes!! Always clean yourslef well using shower before work, believe me it helps to be clean.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
(female)

eyore HB User

so i recently got a external hemmie like 3-4 days ago
i wasnt sure what it was at first, but reluctantly google helpd me diagonos it
mine is about the size of a pea and half, it causes me distress, it hurts a bit when i sit or strain or boweln movements, and its a bit itchy
i heard that there were some ppl that had to get it surgically removed
but truthfully i havent even seen the doctor yet or told any1 because its not something im very fond of.
will an external hemmie go away on its own? whats the diff between a thrombosed external hemorrhoid and an external hemorrhoid
ive been readin the info, so ill try to eat more fiber, and sit on softer cushions etc.
but besides that are ther any other medicine over the counter i can get?
how long does it take to naturally heal?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

If it's a hard lump, it has a blood clot inside. A plain external hemmie is soft and you can squeeze it without going through the roof.

I found if I took a couple aspirin a couple times a day it sped up how fast it went away.....acted like the blood thinner it is. Use the enteric coated if you can.....spares the stomach.

Like you, I have too many things going on to have surgery and the aspirin did a good job but is well within the the allowed dose.

Just an idea................Jenny

Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #15
(female)

eyore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
If it's a hard lump, it has a blood clot inside. A plain external hemmie is soft and you can squeeze it without going through the roof.

I found if I took a couple aspirin a couple times a day it sped up how fast it went away.....acted like the blood thinner it is. Use the enteric coated if you can.....spares the stomach.

Like you, I have too many things going on to have surgery and the aspirin did a good job but is well within the the allowed dose.

Just an idea................Jenny

thanks,
what kind of aspirin did you take?
so besides the warm water baths, change of diet, etc, theres really none i can do? i read online that theres venapro for hemmies n all, do they work?
how long does a hemmie stay ther for?

Closed Thread