It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
(female)

mich423 HB User
What are your thoughts on Miralax or stimulant laxatives?

Hi, I just post about my nerves feeling dead! My doctor had told me to try Miralax, but I'm concerned the stool won't come out and I'll have to resort to using my finger in order to release what's there. I've tried Milk Of Magnesia, but even when it's watery it never all comes out. The only thing that makes the stool come out on it's own is Sennakot, but dr's have told me this is bad over the long term. I just want to be able to have normal bowel movements on my own again without the digging manually and the enemas, also straining, which has caused me to develop a painful fissure.

Have any of you had luck with Miralax? My dr wouldn't prescribe that new medicine, Amitiza, because he said it has too many side effects! What works for any of you?

I'm supposed to get a manometry test and the doc said I might need an operation. Do you think he means colostomy? He wouldn't say. My father had one because of colon cancer, and I am terrified of getting one. I'm fairly young and I think it would ruin my social life. Please help me if you can.

Thanks again!

I wanted to add I did end up in the hospital recently for gastroenteritis which i think was cause by me talking milk of magnesia and fleet enemas as well. I was sick throwing up for three days, it wasnt food poisoning because my mom ate the same meals as me. The doctors had to give me morphine for the pain, but a cat scan showed nothing wrong exept a thickening of the intestinal walls. What could that mean? Sorr for all the questions!

Last edited by mich423; 09-18-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: more to add!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: What are your thoughts on Miralax or stimulant laxatives?

When you give your bowels so much help at the end (with enemas, manual help and chemicals), I think the muscles sort of forget how to do it on their own. Maybe that's why they say that laxatives shouldn't be used too frequently. I've been told that abdominal exercises also help some of the muscles in your bowels, so that pushing will be more effective. Walking and other cardio exercises help your bowels to move a little faster.

I haven't had much luck with laxatives. They either do nothing, or they give me terrible cramps while they work. I think Miralax is considered to be very safe, but I don't know about daily use. They use it (in very large doses) to clean the bowel completely before colonoscopy exams. I used it for a couple days and it didn't seem to help, but I was using the lowest dosage to start, so maybe it wasn't a fair test.

Fiber supplements (e.g. Benefiber) gave me relief from bad constipation, but I had a problem similar to yours .... when the stool gets too soft it still doesn't move out on its own. The fiber supplements made the stool softer and wetter, but it didn't seem to make it move faster.

I still get the best results from fiber in real food. I feel my best after eating a large bowl of Frosted Miniwheats for breakfast every day. (I'm really tired of it, but now I just view it like a daily medicine.) Plus high fiber bread, brown rice, beans, and lots of fruit and water. It provides stools that move out smoothly and quickly in one big piece -with less pain and preoccupation. The tradeoff is that a lot of veggies give me gas, but a little farting is tolerable if everything is still moving out without a lot of fuss.

Exercise really does help. I went without it for a month and I felt awful. My whole system was sluggish. I feel so much better after just a few days of walking.

Last edited by lucylucy; 09-21-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
(female)

mich423 HB User

Hey thanks lucylucy!
I know what you mean about excersize although I seem to get allot, I go for days not getting much. I used to take Metamucil everyday and swim everyday, plus trying to eat more fiber and this helped a great deal, but I still have a nervous stomach at times and have to get to a bathroom when I get the urge. Sometimes the littlest bit of excitement, like going shopping, could set me off. I don't have diarrhea, but just a terrible feeling that if i don't go, i'll have pain. But at least metamucil made it come out in full stools, not the dreaded paste. I still had to use enemas, but not as much. I'm trying to get myself back on that regimen, but I tried metamucil a few weeks ago with a terrible blockage and so much pain i needed sennscot to empty myself out and get relief. Hopefully I can get regular again! Thanks for all your help!

P.S. I wanted to add I take Prozac and ativan, which the dr said can be constipating! But I cannot stop taking them.

One more question. Where the excersizes called Kegel?

Last edited by mich423; 09-21-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

suzyljank HB User

I use miralax and benefiber daily. It helps soften the stool and makes it more comfortable to go without a lot of straining. I was told by many doctors that it is safe to use daily. If you are having a hard time emptying and need to manually help with evacuation I would check with the doctor to see if you have a rectocele. It can be corrected and once it is bms are easier.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
(male)

kd66 HB User

I will echo LucyLucy. I think that your bowel gets used to the laxative and forgets how to go on its own. So if you can, take the laxative only long enough to get back to a normal routine. That said, for those of us who can't go normally anyway, it might be necessary to use a laxative forever. I used to worry about other 'side effects', but no one seems to know what they are.

I have taken Dulcolax for many years. At this point it would be hard to tell what is a side effect and what is not. I just know that I can't go without it. It is becoming less effective; at first I took only one at a time, for many years I took two, and now it takes three to get things going.

I also take Lactulose everyday, and have for years also. It is a sugar that is not digested but is used by the bacteria and keeps things churned up. Also, Citrucel. My doctor doesn't like them because they can cause bloating, but I am reluctant to change.

Miralax is better on the bloating score, but it made things too runny for me.

So, advice. Take whatever works for you. Take it temporarily if at all possible, but don't worry if you have to keep taking it. It is (my opinion) far better to keep things moving.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

When I have really bad constipation, I have to be really careful what I do. I have to let it resolve slowly (with plain water enemas sometimes). Laxatives just cause more pain (or do nothing at all). The worst pain in the world for me, is to have constipation blocking up the last half of the bowel, with a swirling, gurgling wet mess behind it try to push it out. The pain gets so bad it makes me throw up.

My main goal is to PREVENT bad constipation, because it is sometimes followed by bad diarrhea. The fiber, cereal, water and exercise usually help to keep it balanced.

I take Wellbutrin and Ativan. I know Wellbutrin is constipating, but it also seemed to lessen the wide swings from constipation to diarrhea that I used to have years ago. I didn't know Ativan was supposed to be. I take so little, I don't worry about it.

Kegel exercises are for women only. They strengthen the muscles in your pelvic floor. My GYN had me do them before and after Ovary surgery. They also help prevent urinary incontinence, and improve sexual response (which was a big problem for me with Prozac). The simplest way to identify the muscle: After you start to urinate, try to stop the flow before you're done. Let it go, and stop it again. Keep tensing that little muscle for a second, 10 times in a row. At one point I was supposed to do 50 a day. At first it's easier to do lying down with your knees bent. When you get the hang of it, you can practice while you're watching tv, or even driving a car.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

mich,
There is a difference between an osmotic type laxative and a stimulating type laxative.

The osmotic tpye draws fliud to the colon to initiate BMs. Miralax is that type along with Milk of Magnesia, Citrate of Magnesia and Epson salts and several others. They are among the safest laxatives for use occationally but can lead to dependency if used more than occactionally.

Bulk forming laxatives increase the water/fluid content of the BMs. the fiber therapy is the only type of laxatives that can be used DAILY. Like psyllium, bran, benifiber, methylcellulose(citrucel) and chicory root(inulin)--Fiber Choice.

Stimulating laxatives irritate the intestinal walls, stimulating peristalsis. Senna (Senokot, Perderiem) are this type of laxatives along with Ducolax, Peri -Colace, cascara sagrada, castor oil, and Dialose Plus. They can damage the intestines and of course lead to dependency.

Stool softeners can help but can cause side-effects with some medications and mineral oil interfears with some food absorptions particularly fats.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 09-25-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
(female)

cns1984 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich423 View Post
Hi, I just post about my nerves feeling dead! My doctor had told me to try Miralax, but I'm concerned the stool won't come out and I'll have to resort to using my finger in order to release what's there. I've tried Milk Of Magnesia, but even when it's watery it never all comes out. The only thing that makes the stool come out on it's own is Sennakot, but dr's have told me this is bad over the long term. I just want to be able to have normal bowel movements on my own again without the digging manually and the enemas, also straining, which has caused me to develop a painful fissure.

Have any of you had luck with Miralax? My dr wouldn't prescribe that new medicine, Amitiza, because he said it has too many side effects! What works for any of you?

I'm supposed to get a manometry test and the doc said I might need an operation. Do you think he means colostomy? He wouldn't say. My father had one because of colon cancer, and I am terrified of getting one. I'm fairly young and I think it would ruin my social life. Please help me if you can.

Thanks again!

I wanted to add I did end up in the hospital recently for gastroenteritis which i think was cause by me talking milk of magnesia and fleet enemas as well. I was sick throwing up for three days, it wasnt food poisoning because my mom ate the same meals as me. The doctors had to give me morphine for the pain, but a cat scan showed nothing wrong exept a thickening of the intestinal walls. What could that mean? Sorr for all the questions!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
(female)

cns1984 HB User

Has a colonoscopy on Friday, have taken laxatives for years. Dr. said no more Senna or Cascara- intestines are black from laxatives- should be pink. He said Miralax twice a day.
Good luck.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
(male)

my2cents2 HB User

I agree that the overuse of stimulant laxatives are not good in the long run. Exercise, lots of water and a decent fiber diet will certainly help. However, when you need some help, saline or tap water enemas are the best resort. But you need to take a sufficient quantity to do it right and so that you don't need to do it very often. 1.5 liters is probably a good volume for most people.

Despite what you read, enemas come the closest to replicating normal bowel function because the pressure of the water causes the bowel to go into peristaltic motion, which is what it's supposed to do. Stimulant laxatives cause "chemical" promotion of peristaltic motion and that's what causes the nerves to give up and you get, what is called, a lazy bowel.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
(female)

marion samwell HB User

hi what is there to say sorry 4??? if you have to manually evacuate everytime you go toilet, then u have evacuation problems. I have that. Im having treatment 4 it at st marks in london. Biofeed back. IF all fails i will av 2 av major surgery. Long term laxatives do worsen the problem via my own experince. good luck

Closed Thread