It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
(male)

spangler500 HB User
Spicy Foods?

Hey just wondering what is going on with me here. Every time i eat spicy food such as Jalapenos. The next day when going to the bathroom it burns in the rectal area. It also appears that when i relieve myself that the peppers are not digested all the way. This only happeneds when i eat spicy foods. I have NO problem with anything else. And i never had a previous condition of having a problem with anything spicy. Just wondering if this is any type of concern? I have no stomach pain or anything associated with the burning. It just itches and makes it feel inflamed til the next day

Thanks for your help

Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Spicy Foods?

The transit time of some people is very fast and the result is rectal burning when eating some foods.

I suggest that you take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil that will slow down your digestion so spicy food will not pass so fast if you really want eat tat type of food.

Last edited by Harry; 09-23-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
(male)

spangler500 HB User
Question Re: Spicy Foods?

[QUOTE Removed]

Harry,

Thank you for your quick reply. I guess what I am getting at is should I be concerned at all? I used to eat whatever I want and never had any sort of problem. as of lately i've kept a journal of what I eat, and any time I have something spicy such as hot peppers, hot wings, spicy chinese food, my bowel movements burn the next day like clockwork. It takes a full day of spicy free food to relieve the symptoms.

My diet usually consists of a somewhat high sugar/caffeine
regimen where I have a knack for spicy things as well. But when I do the water/milk/juices and fibrous foods I have no problems at all.

Could this be some sort of ulcer, or IBS? I guess I really do not know much about those conditions, just asking around if I need to have concerns or not.

And to reply to your message, if this means no more spicy food for relief then thats not a problem. No more late night nachos

Thanks for all the help this site is very informative.

Last edited by moderator4; 09-23-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Quote is unnecessary.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
(female)

Taffemia HB User

Being from New Mexico, I have grown up eating spicy foods. When I was younger, I never had any problems. However, as I have grown older, I too, have the problem you describe. It is my understanding that it is a pretty common phenomenon for people as they get older. I think that as long as that is your only symptom, I would not worry.

In fact, we have a joke down here in Texas for just such a case: The joke is that you eat ice cream right after eating hot peppers. Then the next day, you are hollering "Come on ice cream!" (hoping for the ice cream to cool down the burning...)

Although, I think I will try Harry's suggestion to take more fiber (metamucil, etc) prior to eating spicy food and see if that helps. I don't think I want to give up spicy food!

Last edited by Taffemia; 09-23-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

spangler,

Your symptom of spicy food is not an IBS symptom. But, inflammation of the stomach lining (gastritis) can cause the burning stomach-- ulcer will cause pain big time.

It is true that as you age -- hot spicy foods are not tolerated as well as when younger and you had a cast iron GI tract.
You can re-generate your gastrointestinal system with eating yogurt, kerfir and taking probiotic supplement. It helps digestion and some helps by sticking to your intestinal walls -- re-clonizes it. The cells in your intestines die and are sloughed off every 14 hour and most of us do not replace the cells with good friendly bacteria cultures like we should because we never knew.

It is just being discovered & used that probiotics in high doses can cure Ulcerated Colitis, IBS and help Crohn's disease-- VLS3 is the product. Cathy posted a thread on the IBS board that her IBS of 25 years is help 95% by taking VLS3 -- it contains 8 different lactic acid strains.

What I have found during life and I am a senior citizen -- is eating too much processed foods just does not build optiumal health -- it contains too much preservatives, pestacide, herbacides and along with the stuff we drink-- like chlorined water, sugary juices, sodas, alcohol, etc -- that destroys the delicate balance of your intestines walls & bacteria. And 70% of your immune system originates in your GI tract.
So, I like spicy food but just not too regularly and never within 3 hours of bed time.

I wish you well---Harry

Closed Thread