It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

Taffemia HB User
Sudden Onset

Hi! I am new here and found this forum while googling on this issue.

Yesterday, I had a very novel experience.

I went to the bathroom as usual. I have been feeling fine, no symptoms at all.

Then, I suddenly felt an intense urge to have a bowel movement, but no results. You know the sensation of having diarrhea with that intense feeling of needing to "go now!"? I experienced that for several hours and repeatedly went to try - with no results. I also felt the "burning" of a uriniary tract infection (also all of a sudden). Lots of pressure, no urine, no bowel movement. Finally, I managed to pass a very little gas and the sensations receded. Not absent, just not too strong.

Today, I had a bowel movement that was: first part normal (brown, firm but not hard) and a sludge of dark green. I continue to feel slight pressure to go, but not painful as it was last night.

No fever, although I was sweating with the pain last night. I experienced a brief spasm of nausea without vomiting (almost, but did not). Today I just feel puny.

Could this be some type of food poisoning? My husband ate the same spaghetti dinner I did the night before, but he has not the same symptoms. Perhaps, some sort of bacteria? I am taking peppermint gels today just in case. I am also making some vegetable soup (no meat, just veggies with some barley) in hopes the fiber and the water will help pass whatever is going on in my gut.

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Sudden Onset

Taff,

I am a big believer in take a water soluble fiber supplement daily to bulk up your stool and make you regular w/o straining.

A person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for normal BMs. And, it needs to be a combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber.

There is a post on the Information Archive thread at top of this page-- Page 2 post 8 about -- "Normal BMs" It is by far not complete but it will get you started.

We are all different and it is not surprising that your husband did not respond the same as you. A green stool usually means your gallbladder put out too much bile at one time and of course there is not much fiber in the Spigg Dinner you ate. Your gallbladder could have been stopped up by a small stone--- then pasted it-- releasing alot of bile all at once that caused the temporary problem. Sometimes greasy foods do that. And, you may never find out what really happened??

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 09-23-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 09-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
(female)

Taffemia HB User
Re: Sudden Onset

Thank you for your response.

I am normally very regular. This recent event was quite unusual for me. That is why I was looking at other causes. Your explanation that perhaps there was a small stone that subsequently got passed makes a lot of sense. I am already feeling better and my movement is nearly back to normal.

I am a believer in fiber as well (both soluable and non-soluable) in my diet. The dinner was a normal part of my diet (homemade sauce with plenty of tomatoes, celery, and onions and some ground beef - and I drain the grease after browning the meat). I try to get a balanced diet with a wide variety of foods, including legumes, brown rice, veggies and fruits as well. I even make my own convenience foods (so I know what's in it) by making large batches and freezing the leftovers for "quickie" meals on another day.

I made that vegetable soup (big batch) last night and had a couple of bowls. Had some more today. I also ate some plain yogurt (with live acidophilus) and drank a few cups of peppermint tea and some pineapple juice (in addition to my normal fluid intake) for the increased fluids and the soothing effect of peppermint and. Also took a few peppermint gels over the past 24 hours.

This forum is a great idea and I appreciate it being here. It can be educational and comforting to talk with others who understand and are willing to share their experience.

Again, thank you.

Closed Thread