It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
(female)

KDD 26 HB User
Foul-Smelling Stool and now Gas

I had two "normal" bowel movements today.

In the late afternoon I had a bowel movement that smelled like rotten eggs. The stool was soft, almost diarrhea, but not quite.

I overate at dinner and had some gas pains that I relieved by passing gas. The gas also smelled like rotten eggs.

My parents have been on vacation so I have been splurging a bit. I have eating foods that I would normally eat in moderation. I am enjoying my time a little to much. Because of this I plan on giving my stomach a well deserved rest tomorrow with the foods I eat.

What could be the cause of this foul-smelling stool and gas? Is this something I should be concerned about now or can I wait awhile before I start becoming concerned?

Thank you all in advance
KDD

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
(female)

confused226 HB User
Re: Foul-Smelling Stool and now Gas

It's probably just the way you've been eating lately being that you're splurging. I think giving your stomach a rest tomorrow is a good idea. Go back to the way you were eating before. Throw some soup in there too, just to calm your stomach for a while.

If it continues even while eating in moderation, then yea, I'd see a doctor. Don't let it linger. I did that and now I'm paying for it.

Good luck!

*~Chrissy~*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

I wouldn't worry. It happens to everyone once in a while. It could be high fat, high sugar, alcohol, or the lack of something healthy that you normally eat. Also, if you've been staying up a lot later, or pulled an all-nighter, that could throw off your whole digestive system. Drink a lot of extra water to help clean out your system, and try to get back to your former diet. You might get some cramps or diarrhea until it's out of your system.

If you get explosive diarrhea that lasts more than a day or two, and you feel really sick or feverish, call a doctor in case you have an infection.

If it happens again after this week, start to pay attention to what you eat, so you can identify the foods you should avoid, or include. It helps to write down what you eat for a few weeks, because your symptoms might not occur until 1-4 days after the offending food or change.

If your family's diet normally keeps your system running well, take some time to learn from your parents before you move away. A lot of people develop IBS symptoms for the first time after they move away from home. At least some of their problems are likely due to the typically abysmal diet (and recreational substances) of college age students. It sucks to get a really bad bout of diarrhea during final exams.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

Thank you both so much. You both made me feel so much better.

It is suspected that I have IBS and I know that I have to be careful with what I eat or my symptoms will be aggravated. I know that I should have been more careful, but I have a week to myself so I have freedom to do what I want. I should have just stuck to staying in my pjs all day and not over indulging on the food.

Thanks again
KDD

Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

Hey some of us have lived that way (indulgently) for years! LOL

Closed Thread