It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

mommzee HB User
Foul smelling,soft stools and achy belly on both sides

Hi. I noticed my stools becoming quite gross smelling a few months back. (To where my family enjoyed teasing me) I thought maybe it was the Methimazole I was taking for Thyroid. Now I never have hard stools,always soft or mushy and at times it feels like I still need to go.Also,the left and right side of my stomache aches. Is that the colon? The other day my stomach felt bloated as well. I just took a stool sample into the lab yesterday. Would like to know anyone's thoughts.. Thanx.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: Foul smelling,soft stools and achy belly on both sides

If the pain is mostly below your belly button, it's probably your colon. (Your stomach is high up, closer to your bra line). Since the pain is on both sides, and you have smelly gas, the pain is probably gas pains (they can get really bad) due to an infection or something in your diet (or something missing from your diet). The doctor should also give you blood tests to rule out some other conditions such as celiacs. He/she might order a colonscopy or other tests, but that's less likely if you're very young. Take this opportunity with the doctor to learn about what dietary changes you could make to avoid pain in the future.

If you're overdue for a GYN exam, you should do that now too. Sometimes lower abdominal pain or bloating is caused by gyn issues such as endometriosis or an ovarian cyst. Gastro doctors might forget to mention that.

Last edited by lucylucy; 11-13-2008 at 12:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

mommzee HB User

Thanx for your reply. Actually the pain is about 1-1/2 inches above belly button on both sides. My rectum has been aching lately too. I wish I was young,over 40. Stool sample came back ok,no blood. Don't know where to go from here. I f I eat like I usually do now, I will have to have a mushy bowel at least 4 times,usually morning). I'm getting to the point I'm hardly eating because I don't want to deal with it.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi Mommzee,

Ask your doctor to refer you for an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound in order to ensure that nothing is going on in there that needs to be addressed. Another test to perform would be either a colonoscopy or a sidmoidoscopy. The colonoscopy requires quite a bit of preparation in order to empty the colon beforehand and you are normally sedated during the exam, however, it looks at the entire colon. The sigmoidoscopy looks at the lower third of the colon and requires only a couple of enemas about an hour before you have the scope. A large number of colon cancers occur in this area so this is why a sig plus an occult blood test (when they test your stool for blood) is sometimes recommended as screening in lieu of a full colonoscopy.

Don't jump to any conclusions though. Definitely get things checked out but don't freak out. Most likely it is a food intolerance issue, or IBS or some other digestive thing (these are much more common so therefore more likely). Have you tried adding more fibre to your diet (like taking Metamucil tablets in the morning .. these are just Psillium fibre .. drink plenty of water with these as fibre without water turns to cement in our guts) and adding probiotics either in pill form or through yoghurt ? You may want to try cutting out dairy products for a while and see if this is the culprit. As we get older our bodies change.

If you keep experiencing these symptoms, you should definitely see your doctor, just to ensure that everything is OK (and if not, to fix it).

I hope you find an answer soon.

Regards,

Estria

Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

M.

I think the pain is caused by trapped gas in the colon. It usually means that you lack magnesium in your diet. Lacking it can cause cramping as well as spasm since every cell in your body contains magnesium.

A smelly stool can be caused by several things--- but basically your food that you are eating is not being digested properly by your Gastro system. You may need to use a digestive enzyme.

The food may be too salty or sugary (including sodas) that messes up the digestion and probiotics as has been suggested will help re-balance the friendly bacteria that is out of balance in your intestines.

Foods like all meats takes longer to digest and frequently produce fermented gas that smells bad -- methane. And we probably all eat too much meat.

Eat more dark green veggies help digestion & transit time and absorb odors because they contain chlorophyll. You can also buy chlorophyll gelcaps to take with meals or other green powers that you mix with water.

I agree with Estria -- taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil (psyllium) will bulk up your stool and make it firmer as well as regular. But, start off slowly because it is a natural fiber and does ferment during digestion -- producing GAS. But, as your body gets use to it the gas will go away. Make sure to drink lots of water-- 8 glasses daily.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 11-15-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: TYpos

Closed Thread