It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

silverbug HB User
Advice on our 4 year olds bowel problems please...!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone, Please bare with me as i am new here and i am desperatly looking for advice on my 4 year old daughter. Get ready for it.......
She has suffered with constipation since she was born. She passed meconium within 12 hrs of birth and then had severe constipation from then on ( to the point where i had to pick it out). I seeked the normal advice and was told to water down her formula etc. Didn't work! Tried over the counter meds etc, doctors, health visitors etc. No one seemed bothered. We got on with it untill she was admitted to hospital after not having a bowel movement for 3 weeks, high temp, lethargic etc and a severe urine infection. She has since been to see a consultant and the continence team (which have been no help!)
That was the short version. At present she is nearly 5 and has started school full time. She has extra large bowel movements (due to with holding and being constipated for so long). Her stomach is always distended and sounds like it is full of gas. She has had antibacterial meds for reoccurring water infections for a year (which have now stopped) and laxitives just make her leak! We are lucky if she has a bowel movent once every week and most of the time we have to try to make her or give a suppository! When/if she does go it is a matter of urgency and she gets herself so upset. Her urine is really strong smelling and i have to wash her trousers 2-3 times to rid the smell and i have to throw her knickers away due to stainage. We have gone through her diet and she has plenty of fibre etc. She also complains of knee pain (she has had en xray and came back clear). I have heard this can be related as can be her excema. She has had no tests done and the professionals are saying she is just witholding. Can this be true? Surley as a newborn this would not be possible. Any advice from anyone is gratefully recieved. Due back to continence clinic on fri But they dont listen. She has seen a child psychologist but they were unable to help. At one piont in hospital there was talk of a test to see if her nerves are working properly down there but they decided against. She very rarely has the urge to go unless it is literally on its way out (sorry guys). I really don't know what to do and where to turn. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
(female)

beachlovr HB User
Re: Advice on our 4 year olds bowel problems please...!!!!!!!

It sounds like she could have "encopresis". Look it up. My son went through the same behaviors. We solved his encopresis by using a program I found online called "Soiling Solutions". The guy who sells it offers a money-back guarantee if it doesn't work. My almost 5 year old son was cured within three days!!! I would never have believed it was possible as he had all the typical encopresis habits. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
(female)

silverbug HB User

Thank you for replying. Where can i find out about this soiling solutions? I have been researching on the internet and i thought the same as you have suggested just wasn't sure. Obviously this would be caused by her being constipated for so long? As she had constipation from the first movement after she passed meconium could there be an underlying cause to it? She has had no xrays or tests or anything. The thing that really gets me is that if the health professionals had listened to me when she was a baby, we would not be going through this now. I hate seeing her so distressed and i am always the bad guy having to try and make her go to the toilet She doesn't even realize when she has wind until it has just made a noise, lol.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

What type of laxative do they have her on? I have a friend whose daughter has cystic fibrosis and they have her on a maintenance dose of miralax to keep things moving. Have they done any testing to see if she has celiacs, allergies, cystic fibrosis...?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
(female)

kersey275 HB User

You are taking the correct next step. I surely don't see encopresses. 99% sure it's 'aganglionic megacolon' , known a hirshprungs disease. Type it in under rare disorders, as it is purely genetic., you will be relieved by what you read. Having a colon biopsy to see if the nerve endings ever developed, do not work, or are missing . Keep us posted,you are in my prayers.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
(female)

silverbug HB User

Thanks guys. It is nice to talk to other people. She is currently on senna. She was also taking lactulose but her stools are soft enough now not to take it. The senna doesn't work at all, it just makes her leak. She has had movicol before and that was when she ended in hospital. I had to really push for an enema ( she hadn't moved her bowels for 3 weeks!) Then when she did go there was no one there to see how much she had passed so they had to ask the cleaner for verification! A consultant there suggested looking to see if the nerves were working properly but as she was under another consultant he had to ask him and he said no! Her consultant has said that there is no pathological cause for the constipation but has done no tests at all. I think he is assuming that because she passed meconium within 12 hrs of being born. I have read about hirschsprungs and sometimes it says that it can be diagnosed later than birth. Is this correct? She has had no tolerence (food) tests done, no xrays, barium meals or a full rectal examination as she gets too distressed. She had more done about her knee pain Which her consultant said was growing pains. (for 2 years?!)

Old 11-21-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
(female)

silverbug HB User

I have been to the clinic this morn and saw a really nice lady. She doesn't think it is Hirschsprungs as she passed meconium or encopresis as she sees encropresis as more of a behavioural thing. She agrees that my daughter seems to have lost all sensation of needing to open her bowel or any urges in association and has the mega colon part but doesn't feel xrays are necessary. She wants to put her on very high doses of stimulant laxatives and lactulose to completely evacuate her system and then continue with high meds to keep things flowing. Hopefully after some time her bowel may get some sensation back and start to perform properly. If this is unsuccessful then she will refer back to a consultant. We have now gone back full circle to just before my daughter went to hospital. They tried this before and she leaked constantly (i understand this happens) and ended up with a bad urine infection. It was only an enema that moved her. I am hoping this isn't going to happen again. She will now have to go through this whilst at school. I am worried about this. If she leaks like she did last time she will smell and has to go through the embarrasment of soiling in school. I think things are about to get harder!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
(female)

kim1958 HB User

Hi You could try reflexology my friends little boy had not been to the toilet with out taking a laxative for seven years. After four treatments he is now going every day.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

She's FOUR. There is absolutely no reason to have to send her to school and suffer humiliation at age FOUR. Keep her home and take care of her during the cleanout.

Closed Thread