It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
(male)

Needhelp911 HB User
Itchy anus: Did anyone find a cure here?

Did anyone find a cure here?
Mr Itchy Bum...wierdly I'm also a South African male with exactly the same frustrating problem!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: itchy anus

Did you try cortisone creams or antibiotics?

I went through this a couple years ago. It was horrible. I suffered for 6 months. I thought I must have hemoroids, but none of the wipes, creams, or sitz baths helped. It kept getting worse. I could barely sit still I was so miserable.

My doctor and GYN couldn't figure out the cause of the problem. (I felt like a freak.) The GYN prescribed an expensive little contraption that inserts a foam into the rectum. One of the active ingredients was hydrocortisone or something similar. It worked, but it came back after a few weeks.

Luckily, during a regular GYN exam, my doctor took a urine sample. The next day they called to tell me I had a Urinary Tract Infection, and prescribed an antibiotic. The anal itching stopped in 2 days and my skin was back to normal within a week. Both doctors were surprised.

To this day I don't know if I really had an internal UTI (I didn't have the ordinary symptoms), or if it was the infection on my skin that washed into the cup. It doesn't matter because the antibiotic totally cleared up the external itching problem (for a long time). So talk to your doctor about a possible bacterial infection.

It still comes back once in a while. When it does, I use a great topical cream called Triamcinalone. It's a prescription. It works for any itchy spot I get. I believe it's a cortisone cream, so you must use a VERY SMALL amount of it. It absorbs into the skin, especially through open skin. Use a small amount a few times a day at first, then only as needed. I only need to use it 1-2 couple times a month, and it keeps the itching at bay.

The closest OTC medication I could find is hydrocortisone cream. It burns a little, but it helped more than the hemorroid stuff.

Good luck!

Last edited by lucylucy; 10-02-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
(male)

MrItchyBum HB User
Re: itchy anus update

Hi Needhelp911... maybe something in the water over here?

Thanks lucylucy. That's interesting. I'll look into that. I've recently had a tooth problem and have been prescribed antibiotics. I realize that are many varieties though and am willing to give it another shot next year. My medical bills are adding up -_-

Well, Needhelp, I've found a temp fix for the problem. I poop at home. I use the bath shower head (water only!) to wash down there... always and thoroughly! Dry with towl and dab with TP. Apply a sparing amount of cream with 2% Diltiazem and "praff molle flav" or something(i think this means paraffin based) with TP and wipe any excess with clean TP. Next, I've changed my eating habits. I avoid coffee, caffeine and too much dairy since they all give me diarrhea. and for our--or al least my--problem, diarrhea is bad. Oh and try to cut out the spicy stuff.

Also, avoid soap near your anus. In fact, when you shower, do not soap or even clean between your cheeks. Use the bath's detachable shower head if you have one. Another thing: when you poop, do not wipe too much. Rather, take it to the shower head.

It's a terrible life but sooooo much better than having to deal with that 24/7.

I have also started taking calcium and potassium supplements. The potassium, I heard on opera, can give constipation. This is great for me since it just turns watery poopoo into harder ones, which means less wiping and thus less irritation. Both help with IBS, I hear. This is all IMHO. Please do your own research on the effects of calcium and potassium.

I've been told by a gastroenterologist that I have something similar to a chronic pain. He gave me psych-drugs! In other words its all in my bloody head. If it is or isn't it's still hell on earth and I'll still be looking for a solution.

Thanks again, lucylucy.

Last edited by MrItchyBum; 10-02-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling and clarity

Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

mco2008 HB User

Have you ruled out the possibility of an anal fissure? I had/have itchy bum related to anal fissure for which I had surgery. Most of the problem is solved but still dealing with some itchness. Was hoping to find some useful advice on how to handle the itching. Most people seem to do the same thing, wash, wash, wash. No soap and a little anti-itch stuff. But still, I'd like to be free of this prison and hope someone might have a better suggestion. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
(male)

rob92103 HB User

I thought I was alone with this problem. I've tried wipes, foams, ointments nothing seems to work long term. Sometimes it feels like an itch other times it can only be described as a feeling of glass shards a 1/4" or so up the rectum. Sometimes the discomfort is unbearable then disappears for hours or days. I finally found a rectal cleansing lotion for use after bowel movements and the detachable shower-head for the extra cleaning during my shower. Testing shows no worms or hemorrhoids or fissures. Reading the posts has at least comforted me in the fact I am not alone, for awhile I thought it was all in my head.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
(female)

mco2008 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob92103 View Post
I thought I was alone with this problem. I've tried wipes, foams, ointments nothing seems to work long term. Sometimes it feels like an itch other times it can only be described as a feeling of glass shards a 1/4" or so up the rectum. Sometimes the discomfort is unbearable then disappears for hours or days. I finally found a rectal cleansing lotion for use after bowel movements and the detachable shower-head for the extra cleaning during my shower. Testing shows no worms or hemorrhoids or fissures. Reading the posts has at least comforted me in the fact I am not alone, for awhile I thought it was all in my head.
What is the name of the cleansing lotion and can I get it at any drugstore?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
(male)

rob92103 HB User

Its perianal cleansing lotion from CVS
much less irritating than wipes

Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
(male)

harrywilliams HB User

i'm curious if you already got a whole cleanse or not? i highly recomend those.for anyone with itchiness. i did for myself and wife afyter being recomended by our nutritionist. yes everyone seems to be doin it but i say its really good. it can take care of the microorgs that can cause this kind of symptom u describe

Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
(female)

mco2008 HB User

what do you mean "whole cleanse"? and where can that be found?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:38 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

joansartiers HB User

Have you been seeking professional advice from a doctor??? This could be anything and these cleaning remedies may not be doing anything or making it worse. Have you been wormed??? Has this area been checked??? I highly suggest you speak with your doctor

Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
(male)

lampskin HB User

I'm back, and still itchy!!
I'm making quite the part time hobby out of trying to kill the itch.

I've found one thing that does help.

Baby powder, and loose boxers.

When I wear briefs, the itchiness is unbearable. Now, if i grit my teeth, I can almost bear it.

Almost...

Anyways, I got some black walnut capsules, wormwood, and cloves.

I'm gonna start on a regimen of that. It was cheap so it's worth trying, I guess.

Here's what i'm going to try:

I have:
-black walnut hull tincture extra strength
-Wormwood complex(500 g capsules)
-Clove capsules(450 g capsules)

I had some reservations about the safety of wormwood, but i did some quick calcs about the safety(always good to be hasty with those safety calculations )

500 mg/capsule
Estimated 300 mg/capsule of wormwood.
Of that, estimate 1 mg of thujone per 1 gram of dried plant.
Therefore for 300 mg of wormwood, 0.3 mg thujone.
Maximum dose during regime is 7 capsules, so 2.1 mg thujone/day.
LD0 Dose in mice is 30 mg/kg. I am 75 kg, so I can have 2250 mg of thujone/day and not die!!!

I'll increase my dose slowly too.
If i start to feel pukey, I'll just cut back.

Damn, man, I really should make some homeopath friends so I can ask them questions.

Well, wish me luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-20-2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 11-28-2008, 03:15 AM   #12
(male)

ontask HB User
Re: Itchy anus: Did anyone find a cure here?

Hi, I too have been suffering from a persistant anal itch for over 10 years which I put down to a chronic candida infection of the digestive tract. The only time I've managed to completely rid myself of the itch is to stick to my anti candida diet which consists of food completely free of refined carbohydrates (sugar) as well as taking various anti fungal herbs.

It is possible for the candida to colonise the entire digestive tract from mouth to anus. The only place you would actually feel an itch would be the anus as this is the only part of the digestive system that has a layer of skin. The rest is lined my mucosa which my Dr told me does not itch even though it may be infected. This actually makes sense. I'm not saying that eveyone posting here has a candida problem but it is def possible that some do.

Signs that you may have a candida problem include:

- oral thrush: white coating of the tongue which worsens when sugary foods or beverages have been consumed especially alcohol. Cigarettes also make it worse for some reason. Prob because they suppress the immune system to some degree. I always test positive.

- Bloating shortly after consuming refined carbohydrates (sugary foods) or drinks. This includes white pasta and white rice and any white breads or pastries. The bloating in my view is caused by the by-products of the yeast (candida) fermentation process which is fed by the sugar. Just like fermenting beer. This occurs in the small intestine which immediately follows the stomach. So any yeast that resides in the small intestine feeds on the sugar and the expands its territory by competing with beneficial bacteria.

- Diarhoea can also be a problem as I've recently discovered. I'm not sure but I think this is a sign that the candida has spread to the lower large intestine.

Other symtoms include general malaise and fatigue, brain fog, and feeling like crap. Being easily irritated especially after having refined foods.

I no longer have the small intestinal symptoms as i went on major campaign to kill of the yeast using herbs and probiotics coupled with the sugar free diet; but the itch is something that keeps coming back when i reintroduce regular western foods and beverages.

The only option I see now is to use pharmaceutical drugs such as fluconazole which I'm planning on using after christmas. I'll let you guys know if that works.

I do know of a tea tree gel that worked for me in managing the symptoms of the itch. It was the only thing that completely got rid of the itch although it did come back after cessation of the gel. Am I allowed to list the name or is that a breach of the forum's rules. It's the only one of its kind.

Let me know what you think.

I can post more detailed info if you guys need it.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-02-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 11-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #13
(female)

mco2008 HB User

I'm interested in knowing more about how you fight off the candida infection. Could you please tell me more?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
(female)

mco2008 HB User

Lampskin, I have been trying natural stuff. Have you tried any of the products? Right now I am trying ananoitch. Seems to help but too soon to tell exactly. There is another product called Itch Dr. I might try that one if this one doesn't work. But if anyone has tried these products and has had any success please let me know. Thank you.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-02-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
(male)

userguy24 HB User

I had this problem for 3-4 weeks earlier this year. I tried a lot of things that didn't help until my daughter showed me some cream prescribed by her doctor (I think for a rash) called Triamcinolone 0.1%. I think it is generic for Aristocort Cream. I applied it at bedtime and when I woke up it was much, much better. The label said to apply it 2 times a day for 2 weeks, but I stopped after several days. The problem was gone and it hasn't returned. Your mileage may vary.

Closed Thread