It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

dianaj85 HB User
Fissures/Nitroglycerin ointment/HEADACHES!

Wow....I have started to use nitroglycerin ointment to try to heal my chronic anal fissures. The IMMEDIATE headaches are unbelievable, and stop me in my tracks! I am hopeful that this will subside in time, and am willing to actually endure these headaches (which do go away in between doses), if I can get my rear to heal!

If you've used this ointment, do the headaches eventually go away? Also....how did you use the medication? I have read some places online that say to apply "around the anal area", others say inside. How many times a day? I have read conflicting things here, as well. Even my prescription says "twice a day" on the label, and "three to four times per day" on the enclosed instructions!

It seems there is not much info out there regarding this treatment....although I've seen a couple of studies that give me hope. I see a surgeon in 2 1/2 weeks, so I am hopeful for some healing in the meantime, and to, perhaps, avoid the surgery, altogether.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
(female)

JackRabbit99 HB User
Re: Fissures/Nitroglycerin ointment/HEADACHES!

Did your doctor tell you to expect headaches? If not, have you called him/her to explain that you're having them? What percentage nitro were you given? My Dr. told me that the standard dose -- 2% -- would be unbearable because of headaches it would cause, so he started me out with a 1:10 dilution -- in other words, 0.2%. So far, so good.

If the Dr. said to use the medicine twice a day, then do it and don't worry what the general instructions say. If you're really concerned, then call and ask the doctor about the discrepancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
(male)

Baadsport HB User
Re: Fissures/Nitroglycerin ointment/HEADACHES!

Yes, headaches are part of fun with nitro ointment. When my pain gets really bad, I apply it 4,5,6 times a day. My doctor says apply it when you need it. I always have aspirin handy since a headache comes about 5-10 later. After about 8 months the headaches don't seem to be as bad.

You definately want to apply it inside...

I've been having to apply the nitro oinment "to the affected area" with very limited luck. I knew there had to be a better way to apply it. As I stated in another post, applying the oinment with your finger feels like a fence post when you're in pain, so I came up with the idea to go to CVS or Walgreens and buy a few syringes (of course, no needles), as small diameter as possible and pack the oinment in the syringe, lube the tip, slowly insert in the "affected area" (about an inch or so) and shoot it in. This has been the best method to get the ointment to affected area and have it work.

Closed Thread