It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
(female)

Susan Tickel HB User
My large bowel has stopped working

I do have divaticula disease which has been diagnosed by colonoscopy. I went into hospital on the 09/11/08 with pain on my right side. I was diagnosed with servere constipation and given movicol and oil anenemas. I still had pain and swelling so I went back to GP. Because of the swelling she sent me for a rappid referral to the hospital. I saw a consultant who said that it is a blockage and gave me a CT scan. I went back for the results and thank God it was nothing sinister but My large bowel has stopped working. My diet is good and I drink plenty of water. This is very uncomfortable. My stomach is always swollen and I can't get to sleep at night because I constantly feel like I want to go to the toilet. I am 52 years old. Is there anything I can do to sort this problem out. Many thanks Sue.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: My large bowel has stopped working

Sue, didn't they give you any instruction on what you could do?? Diverticulitis is a bit tricky, some people have to have that cut out of the colon.

I have a slow to non working colon. I use a tea and take a daily fiber to get it moving. The tea can be found in the grocery stores here where I live. You have to figure out what you cannot eat also. For me it's yellow cheese that does a number on me. I also do my own enema's with a quart of water to 1/4 cup lemon juice. At least it gives me some relief fast. The tea's work over night, I found smooth move tea from traditional medicinal works good. Hope this helps, I feel for you. Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
(female)

Susan Tickel HB User

Dear Diana
Thank you for your reply. I have been put on a laxative called Movicol but I also have allergies to cow's milk and yeast. I have removed them from my diet. It is a hard diet but I must admit it makes me feel better. It hasn't got my bowel moving yet, but it's early days. I went into hospital with this problem on the 09/11/08 and started Movical on the 12/11/08. I am seeing a dietician in the New Year and I'm hoping that she will get my bowel working again because it is very uncomfortable and painful at times. I am not drinking normal tea or coffee now, I drink redbush. Thank you for your advice, I will try your tea to see if that helps. Many thanks. Sue x

Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=622312">95% Improvement with VSL3

See if this post is something for your situation, you'll need to copy and paste it into your address bar at the top of this page. It's a very interesting new way of dealing with bowel troubles. Print it out and bring it to your doctor, see if it's something they can get a prescription for in your area.
All the best to you. Diana

Closed Thread