It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

Chantal231 HB User
Redundant Colon Colonoscopy

Hi all,

Has anyone had a successful colonoscopy with a redundant colon (extra colon)?

I'm scheduled for one and my gastro Dr. assures me it will be fine as does my PCP BUT I'm scared.

The gastro Dr. did say that IF he couldn't get through my colon I'd have to have a barium scan.

I asked him if he thought he could get through and he said he didn't think he'd have any problems. He said that he has done them before.

Still............

Chantal

Last edited by Chantal231; 12-21-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: remove a word

Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
(female)

darabbittry HB User
Re: Redundant Colon Colonoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal231 View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone had a successful colonoscopy with a redundant colon (extra colon)?

I'm scheduled for one and my gastro Dr. assures me it will be fine as does my PCP BUT I'm scared.

The gastro Dr. did say that IF he couldn't get through my colon I'd have to have a barium scan.

I asked him if he thought he could get through and he said he didn't think he'd have any problems. He said that he has done them before.

Still............

Chantal
No luck with 2 colonoscopies and 2 barium xrays. Just can't get a clean enough prep and the doctors make me feel like I do it deliberately! Like I really wanted to repeat either of those procedures! Hope yours went well or will go well. You would definitely want to be "under" for the colonoscopy, but you won't feel any pain. If you have to have the barium xray, I would recommend a sedative. It can be an extra long procedure for us special people and God help those of us whose colon starts to spasm during it. Now, that is painful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
(female)

kathi383 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darabbittry View Post
No luck with 2 colonoscopies and 2 barium xrays. Just can't get a clean enough prep and the doctors make me feel like I do it deliberately! Like I really wanted to repeat either of those procedures! Hope yours went well or will go well. You would definitely want to be "under" for the colonoscopy, but you won't feel any pain. If you have to have the barium xray, I would recommend a sedative. It can be an extra long procedure for us special people and God help those of us whose colon starts to spasm during it. Now, that is painful!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
(female)

kathi383 HB User

I understand your frustration , I had my second colonoscopy and the Gastro Doc, said , that I was still not cleaned out all the way despite 2 day of no eating and a very aggresive prep. He said with a redundant colon that I will never get completley cleaned and thats just the way it goes. He did say he wanted me to have a barium xray and after seeing your post , I think I will pass. I used to have trouble with fruits with skins but as I have aged , I no longer have that problem. Good luck to you and just let it go until you have symptoms that bother you...

Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
(female)

Shimmershine HB User

I posted on the other thread, and I'm new, so don't know if anyone will reply. I've had colonoscopies and sigmoidoscopies with my reduandant colon and the only way I am cleaned out all the time is if I eat right. That means no cooked vegies (or very many raw, but some are okay), no beans and rice, cheese is also bad. What solved my problem is these things called fiber cakes. They look just like bran muffins and taste like them. They are made from wheat bran and have 13 grams fiber each. They are small and have no sugar but are really delicious. I eat one for breakfast and at least one later in the day, like they are medicine! I eat them as snacks. They have COMPLETELY taken care of my problem, as long as I also eat protein (I drink protein shakes) and avoid the stuff above.

Honestly, I used to think I ate healthy (I did, compared to most people) but when I cut out most dairy, the vegies, and heavy foods, I have NO IBS symptoms, gas or constipation. My constipation used to be so bad, my entire life, that I had 3 hemmoroid surgeris from it! Those were years ago and now, no problem!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
(female)

LisaCwiggins HB User

My son had a barium enema, wondering if that is effective for adults with redudant bowels? Although I will say that I'm sure it is very uncomfortable, it looked like it was.

Closed Thread