It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

Katliz HB User
Surviving sphincteroplasty surgery and tips

Hi spring o8!!! I submitted my first post yesterday under "rebuilding anal sphincter muscle from leg muscle" but was laying awake last night thinking that I should share my experience of having an overlapping sphincteroplasty a week ago. Even though I went though all the special testing prior to the surgery(failed all including nerve test) the Dr did not expect to find that my sphincter muscle was 90% damaged. He said it is like a rubberband that has been stretched out so he closed me up and now I await the next operation. As you all know what kind of life we have aside of our bathroom and our so called diaperbag for when we have to stray away from the house, it is no life at all. My family did not want to tell me, even though they knew right after surgery. I am trying to find some answers( Dr had said something about a nerve stimulator when I was in the hospital) and saw it mentioned in springs post). For the sphincteroplasty I was in the hospital for four days. That was so they can pump you full of IV antibiotics to ward off infection and then when you can tolerate the pills switch you over. That includes the pain pills also. I did not feel there was as much pain as I thought there would be but then again there was no muscle left to pull tight. I have read other posts and everyone seems to wear guaze over the drain. I was told to shower with the showerhead after every bm or leakage and when I was taking an actual shower just to let the soap run down to the drainage area to clean. He did not recommend the sitz baths because you have stitches that dissolve on there own and sitting in the water will dissolve them faster. When you come out of shower to pat area dry and to wear a maxi pad. I found out that the cotton top one is the best as opposed to the plastic covering, as it dosen't accept the leakage as well and makes it very itchy. I have always had the exact opposite of others as to what my bm's are like. I have no warning now since the muscle is so damaged as to when I need to go, so diapers were the only option when I went out. From constantly cleaning myself up after accidents and in between the leakage I was always so raw and swollen from the wiping from baby wipes. Toilet paper does not cut it anymore if you know what I mean!!!! I have read other posts of other women who have been post op for 4 months or so and have returned to work. Holding it makes matters worse. I believe that wiping does also since I find that wiping and wiping just stimulates the muscle so that it keeps on leaking . I feel I did more damage to the muscle by wiping. When my Dr told me before my surgery that this procedure would only last five years I had vowed to baby it as long as I could. That is when I swore off baby wipes forever. I had planned to take a hair dye bottle with a slanted tip to work with me along with soft white washclothes and balenol hygienic cleansing lotion. The bottle I would fill with warm water and keep repeating until I felt clean enough. Then pat dry and use the lotion and pat again and use a maxi pad to catch any drainage or leakage. As far as a fiber supplement, he said to use it even though I don't need a laxative it will still bulk me up so I drink it with 1 tablespoon per 8 oz of liquid and it seems to be helping. No sitting on a donut, it pulls at your stitches as opposed to a cushion. I sleep in a fetal position at night and I sleep until I need to get up and change my pad and underwear from leakage. The whole thing in a nut shell is to keep area as dry as possible which will help ward off infection and promote faster healing. I hope I helped someone with my experience. I was thankful to find this website before I went into surgery since it relieved my stress level by just being educated from others past experiences. I am hoping I can find someone who is or did face my next surgery. Thanks everyone!!! I also want to give many thanks to my great Dr Stephen Wexner at the Cleveland Clinic, Weston, Florida and to all the staff

Last edited by Katliz; 01-11-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread