It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

twilahawbaker HB User
constipation

7 year old boy on adderol and miralax has loss of appetite, anxiety, and extreme constipation. Went 5 days without bowel movement and spent one day and night in pain, crying, running to bathroom with no success and finally did poop extremely large, thick and hard stool. He was exhausted after the entire ordeal. We just don't know what else to do. I tried to give him some mineral oil in juice but barely drank it. I felt he was so impackted that an enema might not be able to penetrate through the stool. What should we do?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
(female)

emmyxo HB User
Re: constipation

I have had constipation problems ALL of my life, ever since I was a little kid as well.. I am now 19 years old. I also had problems with urinary tract infections which were mostly caused by constipation started out being so young.

Since the child is on 2 different meds the constipation and other side effects could be causing this no doubt. I would recommend him seeing his pediatrician and explaining these problems. Enemas definitely do the trick most of the time, I have had several at the hospital when I was younger and they work almost within 10-15 mins. I would also ask his doctor if there are any children's safe laxatives he can take.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
(male)

nomad444 HB User

hi, i would definitely give him an enema. it will not only clean him out but he will feel a lot better! you can use the bag and mix up no more then a pint of ivory and warm water. add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the mixture. try and give him the whole thing and when you finish hold the butt cheeks together for about 10 minutes before you allow him to release. i have given quite a few and you probably will need about 3 people or so as there usually is a lot of kicking and hollering etc. let me know how it went.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #4
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

If the mineral oil you are dosing him with is liquid paraffin it is not recommended for human use anymore. Vets still use it on animals and it can stay on shelves for years to be brought out and used inappropriately. The safest oil to use is olive oil but I would also give him a soluble fiber supplement like Fybogel to keep his stools soft that is on top of a good healthy diet to include plenty of fruit and vegetables and brown bread.

Once he has shifted the hard stuff he should be regular with soft stools.

Parents are usually at fault for their children suffering constipation by not feeding them correctly in the first place. They follow the child's fads which can include all sorts of junk and processed food rather than feed them what is good for them. I know it can be a battle sometimes but it is a battle you just have to win.

That is assuming there is no physical bowel abnormality causing his problems

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-04-2009 at 05:22 AM.

Closed Thread