It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

TikkiRo HB User
Question Long & tortuous colon with fluid loss..

I've a raft of other problems (lupus, Sjogren's, hypothyroidism, myofascial pain syndrome, fibromyalgia etc), which may have some implications for this bowel disorder, but unsure.

I had my gallbladder out when I was 17 (now 50) so have always had a tendency towards diarrhoea of sorts (but not daily or badly), and would have previously actually had a slowish transit time often going 2-3 days without a BM, but not constipated either. So when this problem started just over a year ago, I put it down to having restarted eating nuts again and ignored it. But 3-4 months later, and after giving up on the nuts, when I was still having a single explosive watery motion daily I figured it was maybe time to get help. I'd been on a trip away for 2 wks when it was just utterly horrendous despite daily doses of 6 Immodium which did zilch in settling things. Eventually (things work SO slow here in the UK for referrals!), I got a colonoscopy (after a barium enema & a CT scan showed colonic strictures !!) which was pretty horrendous. The Consultant said that all he could find was a very long and tortuous and no other obvious abnormalities, so he figured that it was probably quite dysfunctional and probably not absorbing water properly. His only solution was to keep on with the Immodium but that's no help as it just blows me up with yet more gas and leaves me in a worse state when I stop it. The problem is getting somewhat worse in its chronicity and discomfort, but is pretty much still just causing 1-2 explosive watery motions a day (not really true diarrhoea), with some abdominal discomfort much of the day, and sometimes very noisy guts (like a waterfall!), with the odd day where I'm ok and don't go at all. I used to have a lot of bloating, but that seems to have settled a shade recently. Meals seem to fire my whole system up no end, but the timing of events has changed now too - used to only happen immediately after my lunchtime dinner, but I've now had days when it's happened 2 hours after breakfast and about the same after my light tea at 6 pm. Ironically, I also have a lot of stomach issues with excessive gas being the main one (no burping tho, but it causes a "reflux cough").

While I appreciate this isn't anything serious, I'm keen to try and resolve it, and assume it's now most likely an organic rather than a functional problem. One thing I did note which I believe is interesting, is that I did have 2 weeks of relief after the colonoscopy prep where I was pretty much back to my usual pattern, so I wondered if that means anything of value?? I do take probiotic tablets but while they worked superbly last year, they now don't make much difference. I'm already very underweight and reluctant to have to lessen my already meagre diet any further.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with either the colon issue or this particular type of problem, and what sort of natural methods/diets etc have you tried or found helpful?

Thanks - a rather exhausted Romayne :=

=====================
Maybe sorted - see other post re constipation LOL!

Last edited by TikkiRo; 01-24-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread