It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
(female)

trustintheLord HB User
Long time in bthrm but not constipated

Now this question is really embarrasing and I was hoping I'd find the answer to it in the archives but no such luck.
For about the past 5 or 6 years I have had to spend a long time on the toilet rather obsessively emptying myself until I have not an inkling of sensation that there is anything left. At first I sit relaxed but then I found that leaning my intestinal region on my arm speeds things up. I finish up by using a warm water anal "douche" (Not enema because it's more localized)
I am not constipated but I do have an incredibly long process and normally I don't have to "go" again til the next day.
Also, I don't consume large quanties of food. So could it be that I have an overbearing bile duct?
and as a last question--what is the normal amount of time to spend on the toilet for a b.m.? I can take up to, and often do, an hour.

I hope my friends here can help me figure out a way to get my visits down to just a half an hour.

Thanks so much!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Long time in bthrm but not constipated

I think a BM should last 5 to 10 minutes. You should go when you get the urge and do it -- too much straining can produce hemorrhoids and you should be able to train your bowels.

You may not be taking enough fiber (25 to 35gm) as well as water daily to produce normal BMs??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

trustintheLord HB User

oh, I get plenty of fiber as every kind of starch I have has whole grains--LOTS of water and 2 tbsp. Metamucil every night. I do have a diagnosed internal hemorrhoid so that could attribute to it. The latest thing I have barely begun to try is Aloe Vera Juice with the hope of healing the hemorrhoid or at least moving things along.

I would like to ask you if that few minutes is several times a day or once? I suspect that people do not really empty themselves when they are that fast and are the ones that often have to go to public restrooms to go some more after they eat. I would hate to use a public bathroom for #2 as don't want to gag anyone. So the long time is better than feeling like I have to go again anytime during the day. But still I would like to be a little quicker (I'm tired of pretending like I'm soaking in the tub when I go on overnight visits....).

Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

The time I mentioned is once daily.

I suggest you follow the directions of taking Metamucil 3 times daily. That will bulk up your stool and make you more regular w/o straining and provide more complete empting feeling!!

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-24-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typos

Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
(female)

npainnTN HB User

I definitely agree with the others about going only when you have the urge. I would be careful with the water enema and any laxative sort products as your bowels get us to that and will not be able to go without doing that. The Metamucil is a good product, so is citrucel and fibercon. My doctor gave my daughter Miralax (before it was OTC) and said that it was a laxative that your bowels do not become addicted to. I don't know that I believe that but it works. Also, with sitting that long and especially if you are straining the majority of the time it WILL make your hemorrhoids worse. From personal experience I can also say that the hemorrhoids will make you feel like there is more there needing to come out, when in actuality its the pressure from the hemorrhoids. Try going with the urge. Then, get up and wait awhile. Then if you feel as you still have more to get out go again. I know its more trouble going several times but it really is better for your body. If you are not constipated and you don't eat that much then your body will take longer to process the food.

I do have a couple of personal questions. If you do not want to respond to them I completely understand. First, what is the consistency of your bowel movements like? Is it hard soft, little balls...ect...Second, and this is the more personal one, do you have other areas of your life that as you put it "obsessing" over?

I can not sympathize with those who go daily or a couple times daily. I am lucky if I go once a week. And, have been that way my whole life.

Good luck....I know that it's hard and an embarrassing subject to talk about. It may be something to bring up to your doctor. He may have more ideas with concrete evidence for you.

Jenn

Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jenn,
Your post is very good !!

Harry

Old 01-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
(female)

npainnTN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Jenn,
Your post is very good !!

Harry
Thanks Harry...I know what she is going through with having surgery on my hemorrhoids twice. I was 5 the first time so I have lived with it literally my whole life.

Closed Thread