It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
(female)

dee01 HB User
Sharp pain in left side

I have diverticular disease and ibs. The last few days i have had a really sharp pain in the left side of my abdomen, it is there constantly, sometimes it is really painful and the next it is bearable. I dont know which disease causes which pain as i am so used to having pain in my stomach. Going on what i have read im wondering if this is pain is caused by diverticular disease, and if it is, does this mean the pouches on colon are infected and do i need antibiotics? I would be grateful for any help as my doctor is waste of time and just gives me painkillers and fybogel everytime i visit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Sharp pain in left side

Is there any possibility of choosing another doctor? (Don't know the limitations in the UK.) Of course, attempting to diagnose over the internet is not a good idea, but it sounds like you have it right and antibiotics are called for more than painkillers (which don't do anything for diverticular pain anyway, from what I have heard).

Of course, if you start running a fever, medical attention becomes more urgent!

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

dee01 HB User
Re: Sharp pain in left side

I am about to change my doctor, as the first incident of this pain i had,they thought it was appendicitis and rushed me in to hospital, i was diagnosed with beginnings of diverticular disease, any incidents i have had since they just tell me its my ibs, i know it isn't as its a different kind of pain. I know its not good to try and diagnose over internet, was not my intention, i just wanted someone to confirm what im thinking already. I often get better advice on here than i do from my doc and thats no lie. Thanks for your help.

Closed Thread