It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
(male)

lup328 HB User
Hemorrhoidectomay surgery recovery....please help

I did my Hemorrhoidectomy on Jan 13th Tuesday early in the morning.

According to my doctor, I had 3-4 big external hemorrhoids and he would try to take the maximum possible (3 or 4). He said they were already in stage 4.
I was put in Anesthesia and was fully unconscious of what happened. It took around 2 and half hours.

Apart from a little pain while driving back on the car, nothing looked that bad.
The real pain started when I tried to pee. It was paining like Hell.
After the cotton stuffs got removed and the bandage what was around my rectum was removed, I was expecting a slight relief for a while. All my excitement went away when I had the first bowl movement. The pain and the force what came to release the stuffs stock in the rectum area for clotting, came out with very difficulty.
To make things from bad to worse, I developed constipation and I was having a very hard time peeing every time. There was no gas movement and if there would be any, it would result in severe pain in the area.

I did not sleep at all for the first couple of days, all I was doing was making too many trips to the restroom making me really weak and tired.

I called the medical advise nurse [I am with Kaiser] and they did not have much suggestion, except to increase the frequency of the painkiller. I tried but did not help me much.
I had to call my doctors office and finally he was scheduled to see me on Friday morning. When I went there, he just looked at the wound and how it was coming. Accrording to him, he was happy with the progress I was making. [ To me there was no progress, I was not able to sleep or rest for 5 days in a row.]
He increased the pain medication and gave me a lotion to apply locally. I hoped things would be better after that.
Even after the higher dose on pain medication nothing changed for me. I was not relieved of any pain that I was receiving.
I again called the medical advise nurse on saturday and again on Sunday morning and they advised me to go to the ER for my pain treatment. I had never been in such a pain. That was a very terrible experience.

After I received the ER doctors discussed and were still shocked to see a big hemorrhoid there. They were confused as to how come such a big hemorrhoid would be left after the surgery.
They were not sure on what to do next, and wanted to consult my surgeon but later enrolled me in the hospital and have me pain medication through IV which helped me lower the pain.
I was discharged yesterday, and were given a more stronger pain medication.

I still feel the pressure whenever i go to pee or bowl movement.

I feel a little better today and hope this improvement continues.

I usually do 8-10 sit baths everyday. And they have given me two different types of lotion to numb the rectum area.

Please advise how I can feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
(female)

npainnTN HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomay surgery recovery....please help

lup328, I can totally sympathize with what you are going through. I had my first hemarrhoid surgery when i was 5 actually. Then my second was about 3 months after delivering my daughter. The first one I just remember bits and pieces. I remember I was in the hospital a week and the first BM was horrible. the second surgery was horrible. One of the problems is that the pain meds they give to help us only constipates us more. My doctor had me taking metamucil twice daily and another stool softner. (can't remember what this was in 03) Besides the pain the bleeding was the worst part, I was anemic enough to be put in the hospital, but with a 3 month old and breat feeding I convinced them just to monitor me at home. I did not have any packing or anything like that. When I came home from the hospital I thought this isn't going to be that bad. They had done some kind of nerve block or something to help with the pain, but by the next morning WOW, it was gone. My biggest help was just getting in a hot bath. I was suppose to take a bath after every bowel movement, but with all the stool softners I was going so much that I didn't do it. The bowel movements were unbearable. I felt like i had to go all the time, i guess from the swelling. Other than that I don't have much help. But keep doing your sitz baths or like me actually get into the bath. It does get better I promise. Hang in there. Take your meds before the pain gets to bad. If you wait till your pain is already getting bad the pain meds have a hard time keeping up. So, even if the pain isn't horrible go ahead and take them and stay on top of it.

Good luck....keep us updated....

jenn

Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
(female)

Hunca HB User

I personally don't think the medical community has any idea what they do to ppl when they do this surgery. I had mine two years ago, and I'm in way worse shape than I was, before. I won't let them touch me, ever again. All these medical ppl call this 'minor' surgery and act like it's nothing, well, they are NUTS. My whole life has come to a screeching halt because of the constant pain. I haven't sat comfortably in two years. I've lost a ton of weight because I can only stand one BM a day, and if I eat more, I will have to go more. I've gone to bed hungry, many a night. I have no faith left in drs.

Last edited by Hunca; 01-23-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
(male)

lup328 HB User

Thank you for sharing your story.

I am feeling much better now. I have reduced my pain medication to whenever needed from regular 4 hours.
Only problem that I have is constipation and use of milk of magnesia. If I do not use milk of magnesia, then I get constipation, but if I use it, I get diarrhea. I am still confused.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

My gosh can I relate to all of you right now. I haven't had any surgery for this. But I have IBS syndrome and go from constipation to diarrhea here and there. It is miserable. And because both movements can come out with such force it rips open the cut that I always have in the same place in my anus. I hadn't had trouble since about a year an a half ago when I saw the doctor and looked up inside then entrance and saw the hem. Ugh! It's sore and swollen again. I hurt like h....l tonight! I went and got epson salts and did a sitz bath. I think I was in there too long. Now it's burning. Dang! People don't understand unless they have had this happen. I have to sit to one side. I am in bad pain. I have these oral drops from the healthfood store that you put under your tongue every 30 minutes and they must go through your bloodstream and to that area to start healing and minimizing the pain. No relief yet. How do you all deal with this?? I am so miserable!!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
(female)

npainnTN HB User

lup328, have you tried something besides the Milk of Mag? Maybe miralax or metamucil? It will help with the contipation and maybe not be diarrhea. i am glad to hear that your pain has improved. Just keep it up it will get better.

Hunca--have you had them check to make sure you do not have any fissures or an oddly placed hemorrhoid? I know what you mean when you say they are crazy....they do act like this is a minor procedure but its not. Two years is a long time to be in such agony. Do you have blood when you have a BM? I know you don't want to go back but it sounds like something is going on and needs to be checked out.

Tedwards--i can't think what they are called right now, but they were given to me after I had my daughter but they are little round wipes, and they have witch hazel i think in them. But they told me to fold them in half and just place them on my anus and leave them. And it actually helps. I have found myself doing that even now 5 years after my delivery and 4 years after my last surgery. I will find the name of them and let you know.

Also, the creams they make work great as well. I am brain dead tonight I can't think of the name of anything. But there are different brands and cover a variety of hemorrhoid ailments.

jenn

Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I wonder if you are talking about Tucks medicated pads? I use those and they take the edge off. I did another sitz bath just now. Is there anything else I can do or buy to help? Like that cream? Post the name if you find it. Or the other pads. I am just not up for dealing with this all day again. I need some relief. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
(female)

npainnTN HB User

Tedwards--yes that is exactly what I am talking about. Like I said try folding them and placing them on your anus and just leave them there. that way the pads stay on the area and add continuous relief. As far as the cream their are several different kinds with different names. I think one of them is corticane. There is also sprays. I would go to walmart or somewhere like that and just look in the OTC area and see what you can find. And I will keep thinking about the names. I know what you mean about not spending another day like that. Try taking a hot bath as well. Good luck.

jenn

Old 01-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Jenn! This is just a one day at a time situation. I will try to wander out to Walmart in a bit and hope I don't feel to bad getting there and back. Thanks!
Tammy

Old 01-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
(male)

lup328 HB User

Jenn,

No I have not but its getting better now. Today was my first day at work, and I managed to stay for some good time.

Hope I feel much better and do all the regular stuffs that I usually did

I heard that you should not take black pepper, ginger. They said taking less meat or no meat would also help.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #11
(female)

npainnTN HB User

I am not really sure about that. I know that you don't want to eat anything that burns going down cause you know it burns coming out. . I was told to eat red meat, but that was because I kept bleeding so bad and became extremely anemic. You want to focus on things with fiber and plenty of water. You want to stay well hydrated because this will help keep the water in the stool and it will be softer and easier to pass.

Keep giving it time. Do you have to sit for your job? If so, try a donut pillow. That will help you sit without putting pressure on the area. Also, taking Tucks pads to work with you and fold them in half. Place them on your anus and leave them there. You may want a mini maxi pad so your underwear don't get wet. But that will help with so of the pain. Also, continue with your sitz baths and pain meds. Good luck..

jenn

Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
(female)

lizbar54 HB User

My husband is 1 week post surgery and he is in agony he is taking oral morphine and still in excruciating pain but wont let me call for help as he does not want to be readdmitted to the hospital, he has a lot of blood still coming away and is wearing protexction pads, are you still having bleeds? as I am getting quite concerned for him as I feel the bleeds and pain is going on to long now as the paper work he came home with said he should feel comfortable in 24/48 hours post surgery ????
Hope you are getting more pain relief now.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 AM   #13
(male)

lup328 HB User

Lizbsr54,

I did not have blood coming out, but I was in terrible pain. The oral pain medicine did not help me at all. Since nothing was helping, I had to go back to the hospital, I had not slept an hour in 5 days and the pain was uncontrolable.

I suggest you to call the hospital and most likely take him back to the hospital. The pain medicine they to give with IV is much effective and would act much faster.

After 10-12 days the pain slowly started to decrease and the oral pain medicine should help.

I even started to go back to work from Monday and I don't feel that bad anymore.
I had my post surgery appointment yesterday and my surgeon said that it was coming good.
He suggested me to take alot of fiber and green vegetables and always drink alot of fluid.

I hope you husband feels better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbar54 View Post
My husband is 1 week post surgery and he is in agony he is taking oral morphine and still in excruciating pain but wont let me call for help as he does not want to be readdmitted to the hospital, he has a lot of blood still coming away and is wearing protexction pads, are you still having bleeds? as I am getting quite concerned for him as I feel the bleeds and pain is going on to long now as the paper work he came home with said he should feel comfortable in 24/48 hours post surgery ????

Old 01-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #14
(male)

lup328 HB User

Jenn

Try avoiding spicy food to, I am not sure if you ever take them. Ginger and black pepper really hurt so try avoiding that as well.

About red meat, I am not sure, but that should have been for your other reason.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am feeling much better and at times I forget that I even had a surgery. So I am healing really well, as per my doctor as well.

Sorry if there were some typing errors I am using my iphone to reply.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
(female)

npainnTN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbar54 View Post
I hope by the time you read this your husband is feeling better. Apparently, some doctors place packing in the rectum, and other do not. My doctor did not. I bleed like a stuck hog. Stupid me went to take my 3 month old daughter to florida like 3-4 days after surgery. (i had already bought the tickets before the surgery) I don't think this made my recovery any slower because i actually had more help there. lol....I would watch the bleeding. My bleeding was so bad that everytime I went to the bathroom and relaxed my muscles, blood poured out like i was peeing. I ended up going to a walk in clinic after calling my doctor for consultation. I was extrememly anemic. They wanted to admit me to the hospital but being out of town and having my 3 month old, I begged them not to. So, I had to go twice a day for blood draws till the levels were stable. They put me on iron, which i was breastfeeding and she hated it and so did i. My levels stabled out even though i continue to bleed. When they checked me come to find out I had a fissure, and that was what was causing most of my bleeding.

If he is still bleeding badly, and its bad enough for him to wear protection, i think i would give the doctor a call, even if he doesn't want you to. He isn't thinking rationally, all he can think about is if you call the doctor they will admit him again. And, i totally understand, but he has to take care of his self.

Is he lightheaded when he stands up, does he get dizzy, is his skin pale? All of these things can be signs of anemia. Also, you could pull down the lower lid of the eye and if its pale thats also another sign.

Good luck, I apologize for the length of this post. Hope things are getting better. If you have any questions please respond. I have been there so I know how he is feeling.

npainnTN

P.S. Also, think about it. No offense he is male. With his ego he doesn't want to admit he needs help. lol I hope this wasn't crossing the line, but i knew it would make you smile. And as the saying goes, "you either laugh or cry"

Closed Thread