It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
(female)

npainnTN HB User
Help--My Daughter has SEVERE constipation issues

hello, I have a 5 year old little girl who has EXTREME constipation issues. Despite having a correct diet and everything else I can think of. She has had it all her life. Even with just breat milk. Her pedi put her on a laxative before she was a year old. We now use Miralax PRN.

It had gotten better for about a year. Then we had a lot of big changed in our life. My husband left us and we moved in with my mom. (i am disabled and unable to work) But, even with that she was still doing ok. Now within the past 2 months or so it has become unbearable for her. The poor thing tonight tried and tried and just whimpered about her poor butt hurting . The past two times she went, I honestly don't know how she got it out. Before she was potty trained, i always wondered how she got it out and into her diaper. It is so big. I just don't understand. I am at my wits end. I hate giving her the laxative, but I am terrified of an impaction for megacolon ( i don't know at what at this can occur) She comes by it honest. I and my family have bowel issues and so does her fathers side of the family.

Does anyone have any suggestions? When it gets bad like right now, suppositories and enamas don't work. Her pedi says not to worry to keep up with the diet and keep giving her the miralax. My theory is doctors aren't always right and sometimes something needs to be done.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
(female)

Finest1104 HB User
Re: Help--My Daughter has SEVERE constipation issues

Oh poor baby. I have suffered with it as long as I can remember. I have IBS with constipation. As I type I am eating some pitted prunes. They taste sweet and always do the trick..don't over do it though, 5 the most. Hope it works.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Also make sure she drinks lots of water to keep her intestines well hydrated.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

npainnTN HB User

Thanks for the ideas. I definately try to keep her drinking. I have not done the prunes, but she loves other fruit. Unfortunately, she is a normal 5 year old. And like her father very STUBBORN lol.... She has always been a picky eater. Sometimes for the better. When she was a baby I made her baby food, so she loved it, then I had to start buying baby food because I got very sick and couldn't make it anymore, by this time she was on the 2nd stage foods and she refused them. She would spit out the little pieces. It was so funny. But, even now if we go out to eat she would rather have a salad than most anything. And if she does pick something else she usually ends up with someones salad.

I will mention the prunes to her grandmother. She can get her to eat just about anything. I don't know how she does it, but she has been able to get her to eat things she wouldn't for me in a million years. Not that I am a push over or anything. lol...

If you guys think of anything else please let me know.

thanks
jenn

Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I would recommend Fiber Therapy powder with (psyllium husk fiber)... You just add a few teaspoons to orange juice (or whatever) twice a day. It not only provides relief from constipation, it also adds to the dietary fiber we need to keep things moving. It's a natural laxative, and in the powder form, it can be easily "hidden" in food or drink, although alone it's not too bad either.

Best wishes...

Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
(female)

precious49 HB User

npainnfla,
I'm so sorry that your little girl is having so much trouble. Just to let you know--there are flavored prunes by sunsweet and they are like eating candy to me. I know how picky little ones can be. Raisens are really good fiber and of course oatmeal. Make her some homemade raisen oatmeal cookies : ) I pray that she gets better. precious49
God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

Hello, sorry to hear about your daughter's problems. It all comes down to diet in the end and although you think you are giving her the right things the proof of 'the pudding is in the eating' as they say. If the diet isn't working then it isn't right. Adequate fibre has already been mentioned but fibre is no good without water and I mean plenty of water. The water bulks up the stools and keeps them soft. You should also try giving her olive oil in foods and drinks so that the taste and texture is disguised to a degree. My grandson had constipations badly and the addition of olive oil in his food did the trick. It creates an emulsified stool which is soft and has a natural lubrication which is easy to pass. You must try to stop the large stools forming as she will soon tear her sphincter muscle trying to pass monsters and then you will have an added very painful problem to deal with and you just don't want that with yougsters. Good luck.

Closed Thread