It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

TikkiRo HB User
Question Constipation - how long is too long?

Ironically, after having suffered for the guts (pardon the pun) of 2 years with what I recently determined might well be a raging gut infection, my GP agreed to start me on Flagyl to see what effect it has. 5 days in and I've now not gone to the loo 6 days in total - great if the med has sorted out my prior problems, but this is a swing too far in the opposite direction for me. I've never been this constipated in my life, at most only ever having 3 days between BMs. I'm now feeling decidely sick, full of gas in every direction, and very tired. Eating is becoming tough too yet I'm hungry. Also very hot constantly, but no temp.

Anyways I wondered how long is safe to let this go on without worrying and/or doing more than drinking tons and trying Fybogel?? I'm rather underweight as it is so can't afford to be sick more than I am at present (I've a lot of rheumatic/chronic pain conditions).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
(female)

trustintheLord HB User
Re: Constipation - how long is too long?

I am not going to be a huge help here---but I would look into natural treatments as nature has put out many digestion treatments in the wild. Look at animals that are known to be having digestive issues--they go for certain grasses or leaves they wouldn't normally eat. So I am sure there are effective ones for the human animal. I have heard Aloe Vera juice is good for the tract.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
(female)

TikkiRo HB User
Cool Re: Constipation - how long is too long?

Thanks for the response anyway - think I'm more just looking for reassurance that this won't progress on to something more serious, but I phoned the on-call doc who's reassured me I've no warning symptoms as yet, and so can afford to wait out another couple of days if need be. He's suggested Movicol which is a bowel prep solution and might well help, but I'm hopeful things will move more naturally as I agree that would be the best way. Not sure if I can get hold of Aloe Vera juice easily locally, but might try on Monday if things are no better. Thanks again

Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 AM   #4
(female)

nicola172 HB User

hi there.....i too after being treated for a medical condition have severe constipation.....going on to 10 weeks now......i can only go slightly from all the laxatives and liquids they have prescribed to me......im no better off with my condition......and now look 9 months pregneant......i believe it was the medication......so have now been allowed to go off it to see what happens.....because its only constipation......so sick of hearing that.......theres not much they can do.....im hot.....in pain.....and totally fed up with laxatives.....ive had enough to keep an elephant going......maybe sometimes the cure dosent outweigh the original symptons......i wish you luck.....and do try the movicol.....or piccolax.....or lactulose.....or movicol....or colonlightly.....the list goes on.....usually if one dosent work.....none of them will......all the best
nicola

Old 01-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User

Hello

How much water do you drink?? I have a digestive disorder called Crohn's and just recently, I started drinking more water as a result of some life-changing information I read in a book. I too had problems with not moving my bowels regularly so I know the misery you are feeling.

I took stool softeners and laxitives and ate/drank things that would usually make me "go", like a good strong cup of coffee. But after a while, these things stopped working.

Then I read this book about how nearly every ailment that society suffers from is because our bodies are chronically dehydrated and we are not even aware of it. Our bodies literally go into drought management, trying to pull water from where ever it can. If there's not enough water flowing thru our digestive system, the stool becomes hard and dried out resulting in constipation. This made alot of sense to me so I started drinking more water. I had an effortless bowel movement that very night and haven't been constipated since. That was almost 2 months ago. What goes in, comes out naturally

I don't think we are allowed to post titles of books and things like that so I will tell you to go online and look up "Dr. F. Batmanghelidj". He is the author and you should find the title that way.

In the meantime, drink more water today. You will feel soooooo much better.

Take Care

Old 01-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
(female)

TikkiRo HB User
Cool Re: Constipation - how long is too long?

Hah - water - what's that?? LOL. It's been my downfall in every sense for many years since I underwent a medical test that required me to drink 3 litres of the stuff in an hour and I ended up with the next best thing to a phobia to it in its plain form. Add to that I'm a lifelong Coke drinker although have cut my consumption way down from previous because of stomach issues, but it's really the only fluid I would drink in any quantity - if I don't have Coke, I just don't drink. And until now, it's not been a problem bowel wise, because I've always been prone to diarrhoea more constipation - in fact, it's the first time in years to suffer this problem and to this extent - even narcotics didn't leave me unable to go for so long. But yes - desperation is a great task master and I've increased my water intake 300% (3 glasses in an hour this morning) and hopeful, as you suggest, that it might indeed make some difference. And I'm trying the prunes as well. I did have the tiniest hint of movement last night, but nowhere near enough to get me more comfortable. But I was direly sick with gas last night into the bargain so hoping that doesn't happen again today.

Appreciate the input and will endeavour to see if I can shift things a bit more naturally today - at least tomorrow is the last day of the course, and it'll be interesting to see if normality occurs or whether I revert back to my previous pattern instead. Here's praying for the former.!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User

LOL! Well, you gotta start somewhere, at least you're drinking it

I believe the water will benefit you greatly. I definitly suggest taking it slow so you're not causing yourself any extra discomfort. It's recommended that we drink 8-10 8oz glasses per day. I look at it this way...I work an 8 hour per day job...8oz per hour (or rather a bottle of water per hour since I prefer bottles) that's a piece of cake for me

I'm still amazed at how drinking more water has helped "move things along" in my body

Keep us posted on your progress!!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
(female)

TikkiRo HB User

Sadly, once again tonight I'm at a similar place I was last night - sick with gas in my stomach. I felt so ill last night I had to call the on-call doc as I was concerned about whether being so sick was a warning sign of impending trouble, but I'm not bloated otherwise, so know it's just my stomach not appreciating things too much. An excess of gas has been part of the problem over the past couple of years, both stomach and colon. I just can't afford to get too sick with this because I'm already so underweight and need every bit of food I manage to get into me as it is. I can only hope this treatment will have been worth it all, and am reminding myself that many others suffer much worse on treatments they equally have to endure for far more serious problems. But at least tomorrow is the last day and hopefully that will alleviate some of this current problem with sickness if nothing else. Thanks again.

Closed Thread