It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

puffagirl HB User
New here. Biofeedback for constipation

Hi I am glad I have found this forum. I am a 44 year old with syringomyelia which is a neurological disease where a cyst forms inside the spinal chord. I have been having bowel problems for the last 10 months. I have had a transit test and that showed that things only moved 4 percent in 96 hrs rather than 100 percent in 72 hours. I saw a surgeon who suggested a colonic resection but as my anal sphincters wre not a 100 % he was worried that I would be incontinent. My only option would be a colostomy. I also suffer from a neurogenic bladder for which I am self catheterising. I saw a gastroenterologist and we are going to try Biofeedback for the constipation What I have heard is that this is not very successful if the slow colonic transit is causing the constipation but works in cases where there is a defacatory dysfunction causing the transit to be slowed
Has any one had any experience with slow colonic transit are what have they found helps.

Last edited by puffagirl; 01-26-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
(female)

mich423 HB User
Re: New here. Biofeedback for constipation

Hi! Please read my thread I just post about Electro stimulation therapy. It's like biofeedback. Is this what they want you to try?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
(female)

dolores79 HB User
Re: New here. Biofeedback for constipation

Hi I'm copying and pasting my reply to the electrical stimulation post:

Hi, I had biofeedback for my pelvic floor. Electrical stimulation to strengthen my pelvic floor and in turn relax it better. I had a stroke 6 years ago and that affected my pelvic floor muscle..actually my brain needed to learn how to isolate that muscle. I was having bladder issues, where my bladder and urethra weren't working together so my bladder wouldn't empty correctly and I kept getting bladder infections. I was skeptical of the treatment: a probe inserted in my vagina that transmitted some electrical impulses to my muscles..I did it for 6 sessions, 15-20 minutes and honestly it was time/money well spent. My bladder went form having a post void residue of 30 cc, to 1cc in 3 sessions and about 0 to 1cc consistently after that...my urethra finally learned to relax!! YAY!!. I was peeing about 10 times a day, down to 4 now!!!.
the stimuli shouldn't hurt, it should be tailored to your specific feeling, so they should be able to tune it down if it's too painful for you..
Hope you see results soon!
Dolores
d

Closed Thread