It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
(male)

GodHand HB User
My bowel plight

About a week ago I noticed a lot of mucus in my stool. It has happened before but passed after a few days never to return again until last week. Anyways, today I noticed some bright red blood along with the mucus and stool. My stomach always grumbles, I seem to have more frequent gas than normal and my defecation frequency has increased this past week.

A few years ago I had a dull ache in my abdomen. I am a hypochondriac, so I had my friend (who is a medical doctor), get me in for a CAT scan of my abdomen and pelvis since he could not feel anything (he's the only doctor I'm comfortable with). CAT scan was completely normal and the ache subsided and he said it was probably my bowels or some sort of irritation that dissipated by itself. No further testing necessary, he said.

Now 2 years later I am having these issues. I have had blood in my stool before, but only after extreme constipation, and I can feel a tingling inside my anus. Again, my doctor friend said it sounds like either a hemorrhoid or anal fissure which are common in my age category (27 years old).

I am not tired but I have lost weight, but that can be attributed to my recent increase in physical activity as well as watching what I eat to try to naturally bring my prehypertensive blood pressure down. On top of this, I do not eat much any more because of anxiety over this (also have anxiety disorder and OCD).

Needless to say I will be scheduling an appointment with a GP (I currently do not have one) tomorrow if needed be, or maybe I can circumvent that all-together and schedule one with a Gastroenerologist instead (cutting out the middle man is always a good deal!).

Colon cancer does not run in my family; however, my parents recently both had benign polyps removed (both over 50 years of age) and my dad has Colitis, which I hear can be hereditary.

So basically a rundown of symptoms includes: excessive mucus mixed with normal colored stool, occasional bright red blood, slight tingling sensation in the anus itself, excess gas, abdominal grumbling, and recent increased frequency in bowel movements. A nurse told me it sound like inflammation of the intestines and the frequency has irritated my hemorrhoids/anal fissure, hence the blood. I am not fatigued (a little tired because my sleep patterns suck) but am not weak! I am able to jog 2 miles a day just fine. Needless to say, the anxiety of this issue is also spiking my blood pressure (not great, either).

I have searched the forums far and wide and the majority of cases similar to mine end up summoning a diagnosis of Colitis, IBS or internal hemorrhoids. I just figured this may interest some of you and a few of you may be able to shed some light on this issue I'm having.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
(female)

Maza HB User
Re: My bowel plight

Hi,
It does sound like you have an internal hemorroid or anal fissure.
With you straining to poo it has irritated the hemorroid/anal fissure causing it to bleed slightly. (Bright red blood is a classic symptom of that)
As long as you don't strain these problems can heal themselves eventually.
I am not too sure about your stomach issues, hopefully someone can help you out there.
Take care

Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
(male)

GodHand HB User

Well I haven't really been straining for quite some time, but I have noticed that with increased frequency, comes some bleeding. According to the internet, both constipation and increased frequency can cause the re-opening of an anal fissure or hemmorhoid...or some just open up for unknown reasons (maybe a tad of strain common in your average push?).

Anyways, my Gastroenterologist appointment isn't until February 9th. It's unfortunate it's at a time that I have a class, but I'm sure a 2 week notice will more than suffice for my absence.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I liked your complete story -- very informative. And, it does sound like you have an internal hemorrhoid or a fissure.

With blood in your stool regardless of how seldom it is -- it needs to be checkout by a Doctor.

BTW-- Colitis is not an inherited IBD but Crohn's disease is.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-28-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
(male)

GodHand HB User

Interesting you mention hemorrhoids. I went to see the doctor today, and he seemed more concerned about my magnesium intake than my rectal bleeding or symptoms.

He set me up for a colonoscopy, only because he always does when problems like this arise. He told me it was nothing to worry about and the chances of cancer are microscopically minute with my age, health, symptoms and no history of colon cancer in the family.

Anyways, the colonoscopy is set up for the 27th (2 1/2 weeks). He said the prep will be the worst (this is my 1st colonoscopy). He did note that my father had colitis (he wrote it down), and asked what kind, which I didn't know. I guess he found that pertinent.

I seem to have to perform a bowel movement within 10-20 minutes after eating. He asked about the color of the blood and if the stool was black (no). He didn't do any rectal exam or check anything aside from my abdomen for lumps or anything. It was definitely a laid back examination ,as I have heard stories of them going all out in having you put on a gown and doing thorough anal examinations prior to setting up a colonoscopy.

Not a bad experience, I just hope I can put my anxiety to rest the new few weeks until the official results come in.

**EDIT**

Harry, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on your comment that colitis is not hereditary. Both my GI and the nurse told me it is.

Last edited by GodHand; 02-11-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Edited comment.

Closed Thread