It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13
paolo2143 HB User
pain after hemorrhoid banding

Hi there wondering if anybody can help i had sigmoidoscopy 5 days ago and rubber band ligation of some hemorrhoids since then i have had quite a lot of abdominal discomfort,nausea and pain in testicles similar to epididymus.I went to A&E on monday and to be honest doctors there did not seem to know there was potentially serious complications of rubber banding of hemorrhoids as they kept going on about only risk being of perforation of bowel.

I had various blood tests done,chest and abdominal x -rays and urinaylsys and abdominal,rectal and testicular examination all tests came back looking relatively normal as did my BP,pulse and temperature.I am still in lot of pain and discomfort and feeling bit nauseated and seen my own gp today who gave me course of cipro in case i have epididymus which i have had few times in past and to go to A&E if my symptoms get worse.Wondering what i should do next has anybody else had testicular pain or felt bit unwell after banding as i keep on reading should be relatively pain free unless serious complications going on, any help much appreciated, paolo.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Maza HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

Hi,
How many hemorroids did you get banded at once?.
The recommendation for banding is 3 maximum at one time.
I had 3 hemorroids and the doctor banded one at a time with a gap of 4 weeks between banding.
My pain was a dull ache around my rectum immediate after banding lasting for about 10 hours and then absolutely no pain after that.
Now, here is a different story. My poor brother had 3 hemorroids banded in one session and he was in a lot of pain. (similar to you) He described the pain as if someone had kicked him hard between his legs This pain lasted for approx. a week with him
He was not initially happy with the procedure at all but he is fine now.
My experience was good but for obvious reasons.
My doctor said he prefers to band one at a time due to the pain after.
So hang in there take heaps of warm baths and you should be feeling better soon.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13
paolo2143 HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

thanks for your reply still in lot of pain due to go back to g.p on monday, wondering if anyone else had problems after banding procedure

 
Old 01-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Big Smoke
Posts: 94
hemmy HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

I had 3 bands applied at once and the pain was so bad i ended up in emerge an hour or so later begging for their removal or stronger pain meds.

They gave me percocet. I took that every 4 hours for 2 days and had lingering pain for at least a week. Imo, i wouldn't recommend anyone ever having more than one band done at a time.

 
Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
soundslike HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

Oh my lord! I had one small hemorrhoid banded yesterday and I can't even explain the pain! Sharp stabbing throbbing pain, The surgeon told me it's not reversible unless i have surgery and to just stick it out, now I'm on vicodin because it hurts so bad. I keep asking myself would I have done this again if I had to and I honestly don't know. The pain is so bad that my scrotum hurts and there is no position, sitting standing laying down that helps. I guess I will just have to continue taking vicodin until the pain is gone.

I read all over the internet that most people who do this procedure are fine and feel ok, but just to let you know there is a possibility of severe pain. I hope it's all worth it in a few days!

 
Old 02-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Maza HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

The pain that your are describing straight after banding could be a sign of improper placement of the band and it should be removed and replaced.
The above is a common complication with some banding.
So I am puzzled how your Doc. is letting you go through so much pain
When I had my 3 hems banded (separately over 3 months), the pain was just a managable dull ache which lasted a few hours.
I hope you are feeling better soon

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Maza For This Useful Post:
Spurs4ever (01-09-2012)
Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
soundslike HB User
Smile Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maza View Post
The pain that your are describing straight after banding could be a sign of improper placement of the band and it should be removed and replaced.
The above is a common complication with some banding.
So I am puzzled how your Doc. is letting you go through so much pain
When I had my 3 hems banded (separately over 3 months), the pain was just a managable dull ache which lasted a few hours.
I hope you are feeling better soon
well the doctor said that you cant just take the bands off and put it back on, he and a few other resources i found online said to take the rubberband off you actually have to do the surgery as they dont come off easily and its a difficult thing. So I guess I'll wait it out with my Vicodin unfortunately. Thanks for caring though

 
Old 03-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 184
Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

I had two large ones done, and woke up with severe cramping. The doctor cheerfully said "no pain, no gain"!
I've been taking a lot of Tylenol and missing a lot of work. I can't sit down for long, and my job involves lots of sitting.
If I'd known this would happen I would have scheduled my surgery at a different time of year, when work was slower!!

Last edited by Arggg; 03-28-2009 at 10:52 AM.

 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1
Bren6186 HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

I had the procedure done exactly a week ago from today and not a day has gone by where I didn't regret the procedure. I had hemorrhoids before but the pain was nothing compared to this. I had 3 bands put on for type 2 (I think medium sized) hemorrhoids. The day of the procedure was hell. I had so much pain and was nauseous the entire day, maybe due to the anesthesia. So the first day was full of multiple times of pooping and vomiting. So far it's been hurting a lot every time I have a bowel movement and I feel like I have to go constantly. The pain is better but definitely still instill fear everytime I feel like I have to go. According to my doctor that did the procedure, the banding is put lower, very close to the tissue, so it irritates the nerve easily causing this pain and should be gone. In addition, I have a lot of discomfort in the pelvic region, going down to the legs. Urination is also a bit different from usual. It just feels odd and less smooth as usual. I've read that 7-12 days is how long for the hemorrhoids to fall off. It's been 7 and I am praying for this to end. I would not recommend this to anyone whose hemorrhoid problems aren't so bad, nor would I wish it upon my enemies. Just an awful experience that I hope ends or at least lessens soon.

One thing I found that helps/ed me a lot is a warm shower. I can't take baths comfortably in my apartment, but the warm shower helps so much with the pain and discomfort. I assume a bath is equally effective. Good luck to everyone that is experiencing complications and regrets.

 
Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 213
kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

After years of medical progress we still have a procedure that is medieval in its barbarity. I have hemorrhoids and I will never ever agree to this procedure. Some of the medics who do this can never have experienced the pain they inflict on other people otherwise they might think twice about doing it. Lambs are castrated using this technique and the poor blighters hop about for ages in agony.

Think I'll keep my hems until they come up with a new method. I can live with the odd flare up rather than go through what you have described on this thread.

Last edited by kennyboy; 04-09-2009 at 01:57 PM.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to kennyboy:
Alanajeff5 (01-29-2012)
Old 04-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Maza HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

It is sad to hear about your painful experience with the banding.
Why doctors band 3 at once is beyond me.
My doctor was a colon/rectal doctor in his seventies, and he was great.
A month after I had my first one banded, i said to him why don't you just band the final two at the same time and he looked at me puzzled and said because of the pain you would experience.
(I thought he did them separate because he wanted more money of me

After 5 years of bleeding internal hemms and 2 blood transfusions, the banding cured me instantly

I certainlay would recommend banding for internal hemms, ONLY as long as your doctor does them ONE at a time with approx. 3/4 week gap between banding.

 
Old 04-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #12
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
soundslike HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

I feel for you Bren! I thought it was going to be a simple procedure when I had it done and I had to take vicodin for almost a week. You definitely should be taking stool softeners so that when you do have to go it doesn't hurt so much because it's soft.
Go get some fiber too and make sure to take atleast 20 grams of fiber a day besides whatever fiber foods you eat. This will help so that the bowel movements aren't so scary. You should be feeling better soon!

 
Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: buffalo N.Y.
Posts: 107
jlb1191 HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren6186 View Post
I had the procedure done exactly a week ago from today and not a day has gone by where I didn't regret the procedure. I had hemorrhoids before but the pain was nothing compared to this. I had 3 bands put on for type 2 (I think medium sized) hemorrhoids. The day of the procedure was hell. I had so much pain and was nauseous the entire day, maybe due to the anesthesia. So the first day was full of multiple times of pooping and vomiting. So far it's been hurting a lot every time I have a bowel movement and I feel like I have to go constantly. The pain is better but definitely still instill fear everytime I feel like I have to go. According to my doctor that did the procedure, the banding is put lower, very close to the tissue, so it irritates the nerve easily causing this pain and should be gone. In addition, I have a lot of discomfort in the pelvic region, going down to the legs. Urination is also a bit different from usual. It just feels odd and less smooth as usual. I've read that 7-12 days is how long for the hemorrhoids to fall off. It's been 7 and I am praying for this to end. I would not recommend this to anyone whose hemorrhoid problems aren't so bad, nor would I wish it upon my enemies. Just an awful experience that I hope ends or at least lessens soon.

One thing I found that helps/ed me a lot is a warm shower. I can't take baths comfortably in my apartment, but the warm shower helps so much with the pain and discomfort. I assume a bath is equally effective. Good luck to everyone that is experiencing complications and regrets.
Hello, I had my first banding on Tuesday--it's Sat. and I cannot believe the pain I have gone through. I have been to the emergency room with no help--call the surgeon who said come see me Monday and currently on Tramadol for pain( from another problem, doc gave me nothing )--which numbs everything but the hemorrhoid. I believe the rubber bands fell off too soon and now it is thrombus. I will never do this again and don't appreciate the doctor doing the procedure with out asking me first. Yes, he just did it and told me while he was doing it. I had to drive myself home which was difficult and have someone get my kids out of school--totally not prepared for this. I am in the tub every 20 minutes for some relief. I can't find any position that is comfortable. All of you out there are not alone--after giving birth to 4 children and many years of this problem--never have I had such pain!!! Hang in there and I hope Monday comes quickly!!

 
Old 06-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: alabama
Posts: 48
scarlett1958 HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

I feel your pain; I had 1 large one banded on Monday. Felt great till I had bm's on Tuesday, painful...each day the bm's are like fire. I am use to going 3 times in the a.m. but I am having a hard time going b/c of the burning pain. Is this normal...how long will it last? I bled some today but couldn't tell if the band came off or it's bleeding hemroids. I would appreciate any comments/experiences.

jlb1191- keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by scarlett1958; 06-13-2009 at 08:15 PM.

 
Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: alabama
Posts: 48
scarlett1958 HB User
Re: pain after hemorrhoid banding

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett1958 View Post
I feel your pain; I had 1 large one banded on Monday. Felt great till I had bm's on Tuesday, painful...each day the bm's are like fire. I am use to going 3 times in the a.m. but I am having a hard time going b/c of the burning pain. Is this normal...how long will it last? I bled some today but couldn't tell if the band came off or it's bleeding hemroids. I would appreciate any comments/experiences.

jlb1191- keep us posted on your progress.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Hemorrhoid Banding on Friday (8/7) I will update throughout recovery. iTAPout Bowel Disorders 11 01-18-2010 12:14 PM
hemorrhoid banding handyman1355 Bowel Disorders 2 02-18-2007 07:23 PM
Fissure/Hemmhroid Pain? karen32 Bowel Disorders 42 05-26-2006 07:42 AM
Hemorrhoid banding, when does this pain stop? greenmyst Bowel Disorders 5 01-14-2005 12:53 PM
External Hemorrhoid Options FireWoman Bowel Disorders 2 01-01-2005 07:13 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!