It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

saadoyle HB User
Question Scared Mom Please Help!

Hi,

I am posting this hoping someone might have some experience with my situation. I am not very happy with the doctors right now. I have a 4.5 month old daughter. She was born full term, and has never been anything but the picture of health....until a few weeks ago. I started her on rice cereal January 5, 2009. She loved it, and had no issues eating it. I started to notice right away that she seemed gassier than usual, and that it smelled really bad. I figured (having had 2 other babies) that this was normal with the introduction of solids. After about 2 days, she stopped having bowel movements. After 7 days, I stopped the rice cereal. She is breastfed, so she would usually have a BM a few times a day. Well not anymore. From Jan. 5, she had one BM and one "smear" in her diaper, and we are now Jan. 28. I took her to the doctor, who sent me to the hospital yesterday. I have done everything I can think of to help her. Warm baths, tummy massage, bicycle legs, rectal temperature, prune and apple juice. Nothing works. The doctor at the hospital did an anal probe with her pinky, and said she felt no hard stool, just loose stool. When she took her finger out, less than half a cup of watery stool came out. They did an x-ray, and said that there was no physical blockage, but her bowels were filled with air. She does pass gas, but it sounds like a big fart coming out of a tiny hole, and has caused her pain. They said there is a neurological situation (pseudo blockage), but that it is so rare, they were not considering it, and that it would have been present from birth. Their solution was to send me home, and tell me to stick a suppository in her every second day that she does not have a BM, and give her prune juice. Her tummy is distended, but she doesn't seem bothered by it most of the time (she has her moments). She is still eating well, and not vomiting. It just seems to me that we are past the "regular" constipation timeframe. I mean, one watery bowel movement in over 3 weeks???? Any help would be soooo appreciated! I have this feeling like something is going on.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: Scared Mom Please Help!

4.5 months seems a bit early to be starting solids and could have caused a reaction. However if she is getting breast fed she is on the best food possible so don't worry unduly. My grandson had constipation when he started on solids and my daughter tried a little olive oil in his food which did the trick. Make sure it is the best oil you can find i.e. cold pressed extra virgin. Introduce it slowly and a little at a time, don't over-do with a baby of her age. Olive oil is so easy to digest and harmless unlike some of the laxatives you can get that she should have no problems with it. Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

Closed Thread