It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
(male)

dkm HB User
Severe constipation help asap

I have never had this bad of constipation before, it was awful. I'm so relieved it's over from 1 hour of pure hell!
For the past week I've eaten quite good, mainly fruits, vegies, wholemeal breads, dairy and fish. And I also drink alot of water each day, but for the last 2-3 days my constipation has been getting worse and today I tried to go 3 times with no release, it simply would not come out. 4th time I was in the bathroom a long time and was not having a good time I can tell you that., but finally passed.

Question, what foods should I strickly stop from my diet to relieve my constipation? I'm going to be drinking lots and lots of water too and I cannot go through this again.
Thanks guys,

Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Severe constipation help asap

There is a post in the "Information Archive" thread at the top of this page -- post 8 page 2 that tells about the foods needed to have normal BMs.
I suggest you read it. It is not complete but should give you a start!!

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

You seem to be eating the right things and drinking lots of water too so I can only guess that your stools are bulking up and hardening because the water you are drinking is being used by your body in general maintenance and is not doing the stool softening job you want it to. Perhaps it's because you are not taking fiber (you don't mention it). Fiber is important because it acts like a sponge in your gut and keeps everything moist. I had the same problem as you and kept drinking more and more water until I was leaking like a watering can every ten minutes. It did the job to a degree but I came to the conclusion that drinking so much water was not a practical option when you are out or at work. So I decided to try and create an emulsion in my gut rather than a wet sponge (if you get my drift). I did this by taking olive oil with my food as well as the water which I was able to cut down a bit and stop the constant need to be near a loo. It worked a treat and I very rarely have problems now. You need to sort it out because you could tear your sphincter muscle and create an anal fissure which is very painful and hard to treat successfully.
One thing I have learnt from reading about bowel problems is that everybody is different and what works for one person doesn't for another. You have to become an bowel 'artist' (ha ha) and treat yourself like a blank canvas or a rough rock and paint or chisel your own 'work of art'. It's not easy and you may need to become a 'colon Michelangelo' or a 'sphincter Leonardo da Vinci'. Having said that I might enter my arse for the tuner prize next year, they go for that sort of thing.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
(male)

dkm HB User

I've had about 50-60% fibre intake everyday so I do get more fibre than I usually did before on my old diet. Even then I had no problems with constipation.
I should aslo mention I've been exercising everyday on the bike for an hour too which could be a cause too or not?

Today was slightly better as I had bucket loads of water, but last night I had pain/cramps through the night, and has been going on throughout the day non stop. I feel it in my abdominal and as I slightly press them, I feel a slight pain.
How long would this cramping feel last?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

Doesn't sound like straight forward constipation to me if you are getting abdominal pain. I'd get yourself checked over by a doctor to make sure there is no other reason for your discomfort. Let us know the outcome and good luck.
In the meantime reading some of Mary Enig's stuff might give you some insight on why lipids are important for good bowel health. Find her on Amazon under 'Nourishing traditions' or 'Eat fat lose fat'.

Closed Thread