It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
(female)

linlin2 HB User
Abdominal surgery

My son had massive abdominal surgery two weeks ago. He's now out of hospital. While in hospital - I can't remember which day - he was weighed and found to be 152 lbs. I weighed him two days ago and he's down to 131 lbs. He had diarrhea before leaving hospital - very liquid, and although it became less liquid on the 2nd and 3rd days, it has not improved since.

He's still uncomfortable with his wound but has additional discomfort from what he describes as soreness or pulled muscles on his sides - upper abdominal area.

We were not told by the hospital to expect such drastic weight loss and were told he could eat what he liked.

Can anyone give reassurance that this is normal?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Abdominal surgery

Hi.....

You don't mention what type of surgery but, if it involved his colon in some way, his bm's will be funky for a while. His appetite is probably not the greatest at this point.....a combination of the surgery itself and narcotic pain relievers, which suppress the appetite.

Still, for some peace of mind, call the surgeon's office and express your concerns. Have him eat lots of protein, which helps healing. I lost weight immediately after my colon surgery but my appetite came back full force....and am now on a diet to lose some of the extra pounds!

He's still very early in his recovery after a very major surgery, and will feel all sorts of twinges and discomfort in various areas. Each week gets better!

Good luck to him,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread