It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
(male)

Earl Grey HB User
Hemorrhoids & small hard stools, difficult to pass despite good diet with fibre?

Hello all.

I am a 25 year old male and been having this problem on and off for a couple of years. Now it has gotten worse and I am at a loss as to what to do.

My stool is always hard, small lumps which I strain to pass. This used to happen occasionally, then became a more regular occurence and now it is all the time I have a BM. Recently I have drastically tried to improve my diet - I'm eating loads of fibre (All Bran for breakfast, healthy salad for lunch, a minimum of 3 litres of water a day, no coffee, eat lots of beans, wholegrain bread, fruits, wholewheat pasta etc.) I am even taking a fibre supplement now. I exercise every second day by jogging 4km. The only thing I can think of which could contribute to my constipation is a moderate amount of stress I suffer daily at work. It is really moderate though, and given all the other positives I am doing (ie lots of fibre, exercise etc.) I don't think this can be the reason.

Also, I seem to have two hemmorhoids right at the anal opening - they are entirely painless, there is no blood and I can push them back inside easily. They are normally inside except when I hunch down or if I am straining to have a BM. If I were to describe them when they protrude, I would say they are like two inflated cushions at the anal opening. I have had them for a few years. I used a cream when I got them first but it didn't seem to do anything, and as they were painless I just left them. How can I get rid of these? I feel that my constant state of constipation is not helping. Even though they are painless I would very much like them gone.

Any advice you guys could give me is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Earl Grey; 01-29-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User
Re: Hemmorhoids & small hard stools, difficult to pass despite good diet with fibre?

Hello

Maybe you should try cutting back on some of your fiber intake (there might be way too much bulk going thru your digestive track) although you are drinking an adequate amount of water daily, the extra fiber is soaking it all up.....and by all means, STOP STRAINING....YOU DON'T WANT TO DEVELOPE A HERNIA ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE.

I speak from wayy too much experience on this, but I also understand that sometimes straining is unavoidable when its right there and "stuck" and you just want to get it out!

Also, have you been to a Gastroenterologist?? He/she can run some tests to give you a more accurate cause for the problem.

Just a suggestion Take Care!!

Last edited by trying2staycalm; 01-29-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Hemmorhoids & small hard stools, difficult to pass despite good diet with fibre?

You will want to add an over the counter stool softener to your daily routine. Buy some Miralax(you can find it pretty much anywhere they sell laxatives) and follow directions. Miralax is a new/better way to soften up the stool) You want to to soften up the stool before it gets to the other end. Those little cushion pads are hemorrhoids that many people get from straining. The only way to get rid of them is to have them removed but people often just live with them if they are not too painful. Some over the counter Preparation H or some witch Hazel can help soothe them when they are swollen with blood. Sometimes they rupture and freak people out with blood everywhere but don't panic it will stop...generally there is just little blood every now and then. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

You need oil as well as water in your system to create an emulsified stool. Read my other posts, as I can't keep repeating myself. I feel like a record stuck in a groove.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
(male)

Earl Grey HB User

Thanks for your comments guys.

Kennyboy - I went back and read your posts and am glad that I did. I have began to increase my intake of extra virgin olive oil now and am hoping it will make a real difference. For the first time in god knows how long I actually had a soft and well-formed BM a day ago. I hope this will continue, I'm being very strict with my diet and aiming for a 30g intake of fibre every day, in addition to 3 litres of water, exercise and now the olive oil too. Thanks for the advice, and I will keep you posted on my progress. I presume all is well now with you, and you won't be undergoing surgery this month?

Also, AnnD - thanks for your comments. Has anyone had any experience of these little hemmorhoid "cushions" going away by themselves and not requiring some form of removal surgery? I would like to think that if I can improve my stools and entirely banish straining from my BM's then the "cushions" would go away. Is this just wishful thinking on my part? As I said, they're entirely painless, but I just wish they were gone.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
(male)

Hello mate. Glad to hear you are having some success with the olive oil. As I have said in another post, everybody is different and getting your diet right can be a work of art once you have had serious bowel problems. At your age you should be back into good health quite quickly but it's useful to know how important lipids are for a healthy bowel, for future reference if necessary.

I would recommend you read Mary Enig. She has contributed to a number of books on food nutrition and you can find her books on Amazon. Type in 'Nourishing traditions' or 'Eat fat lose fat' and it should take you straight to her. She is very knowledgeable and will give you lots of ideas to try because as well as olive oil there are good results to be had with coconut oil. Some people hate the taste of olive oil so it's good to know that there are alternatives. Understanding how your body needs fatty acids is essential in keeping yourself healthy down below in my opinion and the benefits are that your brain and heart also benefit too!

Now that you have achieved a healthy stool in your intestines you need to think about maintaining a balance between the important fatty acids. In other words don't forget to also take oil that gives you a good supply of omega 3 fatty acids. Cod liver oil is the most easy to come by but I also take a teaspoon of flax oil to increase my omega 3 consumption.

Thanks for your enquiry re my own health. My anal fissure is well under control now and any hemorrhoids I have tend to be minor irritations rather than major problems. I'm very active and tend to strain when I exert myself (which is a sure fire way to bring on hemorrhoid problems) so I have to be mindful of a hemorrhoid flare up. When that happens I usually syringe some neat olive oil into the back passage and it lubricates everything where it is really needed and they go away in a few days, sometimes hours. For that I will use a cheaper brand of oil that my wife uses for cooking but for consumption I go for the best I can find in the shop and it MUST be in dark light-proof bottles as then you know that the fatty acids have not gone rancid with the effect of daylight. Once you have a hemorrhoid problem you usually have to live with it and deal with it (on and off) for the rest of your life (bit like a hernia) so that is where the idea of a 'work of art in progress' comes in. My wife thinks I'm a bum artist. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Hemorrhoids & small hard stools, difficult to pass despite good diet with fibre?

One matter that does not always get a lot of attention is that there are two types of fiber - soluble and insoluble. We need both. It looks like you are getting plenty of insoluble with the whole grains (personally I find that a lot of wheat fiber irritates my system). Legumes would be providing some soluble fiber; veggies are another source.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #8
(male)

Re: Hemorrhoids & small hard stools, difficult to pass despite good diet with fibre?

Right ho Don, can you give me a link for evidence that olive oil is bad for your heart please or some rationale upon which you base your view. I'd be interested to read it as all the evidence I have read does not mention it. Cretans and Greeks consume up to 31 litres a year and they are the healthiest people in Europe in cardiovascular issues. So much so that the Mediterranean diet is highly respected and is often recommended for its health. Are you relating this somehow to the Atkins diet?

Closed Thread