It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

Katliz HB User
Wink Temporary colostomy bag coming soon!!! Need tips for i fear the unknown. Help anyone!

I read the post by katherine 74. I was in tears while i kept thinking that god does not give us more then we can bear in our lives. You have been through so much that it shames me to feel the way i have been feeling about this upcoming surgery. I went yesterday for my pre op apts and to be marked for the stoma site(s). I read your post a couple of days ago and was able to ask the stoma nurse multiple questions because of your insight. I am not afraid of the surgery, this will be my my second in a months time. The overlapping sphincteroplasty i believed was going to gain me my freedom. Too bad the muscle is 90% gone. Next i will have my rectum rebuilt with muscle taken from my leg. My dr cannot do this surgery until i heal from the sphincter repair. Anyway, i have no control over my bowels and live my life in the shower!!! He asked me if i would be willing to have a temporary bag so that i can heal enough to make it possible for him to rebuild the rectum. As you know at the time i would have agreed for him to stick a cork up there if it meant relief!!! Stoma nurse injected tatoo ink on both sides of the belly button after fitting a bag size and placement. I was given a dvd on caring for the stoma and so on. I guess what i am trying to say is that i don't know if i am ready to see it hanging on my side like that. I know it must seem like i am vain and a bit mental but the way my life is today leaves me no quality and extreme bouts of drepression. My family and friends are wonderful and as for my husband there are no words to describe him. No matter how bad the situation is at the moment he always has a way of looking at the good side of the situation even though i only can see the mess at hand!! I was put on antidepressants awhile back. You know what i am saying because you have lived that life also. Any tips that you can share with me, i would love to hear back about your life before, during and after your colostomy bag. What foods do you have to avoid? I never heard about the drops for the odor . Mentioned it to the stoma nurse and she said that after the surgery she will teach me all i need to know. I know it will be more error than trial i suspect , but the knowledge i gain from special people like yourself makes it seem all worth it. I hope i can do the same for someone else down the line someday. Thanks, katliz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Temporary colostomy bag coming soon!!! Need tips for i fear the unknown. Help any

Katliz, You are not being vain at all! I woke up with a temporary colostomy after emergency surgery so had no time to think about it (probably better that way). I was shocked, horrified, terrified, disgusted . . . you name it. I would never have believed it, but you will have the hang of it in no time. It becomes habit like anything else in life. You will probably be self-conscious when you first go out, but soon it will hardly hinder you at all. (I don't know how they will equip you since it is temporary, but, for example, swimming might not be possible, and perhaps a few other activities, because of surgery more than the colostomy though.)

You will want to avoid anything that causes you to have gas. That's really about it.

Closed Thread