It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Mystery diagnosis? acute abdominal pain.

Long story.
I'm writing this in hope that maybe someone has had a similar experience so I know what's going on.

went to the ER room two years ago with pain that started gradually lower abdominal, pelvic area that worstened as the day progressed. I had been Christmas shopping that day and thought that the walking aggrivated it.
sat down to a beautiful lunch which I never wound up eating because the pain migrated to my back, which sent me to the ER.

they performed a Cat Scan that showed right hydronephrosis of kidney and right hydrorouter. (tube that leads from kidney to bladder) but no sign of a stone. they recommended that I follow up with a specialtist. I never did because I had no insurance at the time.

Wound up in the ER again about a year ago. Sudden, sharp pain in abdomen that radiated to my entire back when palpated. they thought I had a stone.
CT scan showed that I was blocked up to my chest with stool. I was constipated. I used to have chronic constipation for reasons unknown.

four years ago my gastro dr had my stool checked for fat in it, which meant i had malabsorption problem. I had lost ALOT of weight for no reason. so he had me do that test which showed trace amounts of fat. he put me on enzyme pills, I never got better until I had a total hysterectomy.

I've had multiple abdominal surgeries due to woman problems. laparoscopies and a laparotomy in the past. almost died from having a common tubal ligation which wound me up in the hospital for two weeks and in the ICU unit.
ever since then is when my problems with constipation started.
they moved my bowels to see where the bleeding was coming from internally. this was after the initial surgery. they were going to send me home after the surgery, thank God they didn't.

my constipation is no longer chronic due to elimination of certain foods and on a high ph diet. I used to eat healthy before so that wasn't the problem.

I no longer have the malabsorption as far as I know.

since I've had a total hysterectomy, I no longer have anything to give me feelings like I'm going to get my period. I have it every day, a gnawing, aching pain where my appendix is. I woke up one morning suddenly at five a.m. with sharp right sided pain where my waist is. I relieved myself of water, (pee'd) and sudden pain started as if something inside deflated.

through out the day, it continued to get worst. hurt more by laying down in bed. got worst at 3 pm to the point where I felt like a knife was stabbbing me all inside my body. especially upper middle part of abdomen. standing hurt, walking hurt, sitting hurt, nothing I did would stop the acute pain. I thought maybe it was gas and sent my significant other out to get me over the counter medicine for gas. it didn't work. so before I pulled my hair out of my head from the horrible debiliating pain that I simply could not stand another minute, I went to the ER.
I had to wait a little while to be seen.
I was asked questions, then put into a room after they found one to put me in since they were so busy.
you're not going to believe what happened at that point.... the pain finally subsided. out of the clear blue sky, which leads me to believe maybe it was gas???? maybe the pill I took finally kicked in?

Can abdominal gas feel so horrible like you're ripping apart into two for hours? It was cyclical at first so I could at least catch my breathe for the next attack of what ever it was causing such horrific pain. then from cyclic to constant pain that would not subside for anything.
the ride in the car from my house to the ER is only about 7-10 minutes.
the entire ride was the ride from Hell. I was pounding my fist on the car door which felt good to help relieve the torture I was living.

So to sum it up, I've been in the ER for strange, un-diagnosed, acute abdominal pain 3 times so far. I do NOT want to get another attack and I finally have insurance so I can see a gastro dr.
My primary dr. saw me last week and palpated my entire abdomen.
It hurts mostly where the appendix lays, especially if he makes me lift my right leg towards my body when laying on the table.

he told me it could be adhesions and is suggesting that I see a gastro first and that I may have to see a surgeon to do exploratory to see what's going on inside.

I forgot to also mention that I had a partial small bowel obstruction back in 2005 after my hysterectomy upon recovery at home. I became constipated due to laying down in bed a lot and not drinking enough water and taking pain pills.
the pain I just had was very similar, but I had no vomiting this time like I did with the partial bowel obstruction.

Has anyone here gone through these bouts of acute sharp pains and if so, what diagnosis were you given?

I have to make an apptn. with this new gastro dr. and I'm not looking forward to have to go over my history so am delaying making the apptn.

I thought that since I am a member of this health board, it might benefit me to tell my story of what's going on with this mystery diagnosis.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread