It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

maplea HB User
post op resection diet

I have read a lot of posts about resection, but have come across none that had a low fibre diet, afterwards. My dad just had resection 10 days ago, and just out of hospital. He is on a low fibre/low residue diet. Is any one else on this type of diet? The doctor said it would be a lifelong thing, since there was less bowel to deal with fibre. Does this sound right?
My dad is having a hard time eating anything and is throwing up food now. He is supposed to gain some weight to be in shape for some chemo for a lymphoma. He weighs less now than before surgery.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: post op resection diet

So sorry to hear about your dad's plight. I can understand the reluctance to allow fiber if the intestine has been shortened, in which case you need to find a quick way to give him nutrients that he can digest easily.

I suggest that you try coconut oil with everything he eats (about two tablespoons per meal). Coconut oil is a saturated fat and is solid at room temperature so you will have to microwave it for two minutes before you pour it on any food he eats. Don't believe any of the rubbish you might read that it isn't good for you because it is saturated fat. Health food shops usually stock it so that must tell you something. It's usually organic and comes from a first cold pressing and is sold in bottles. Daylight doesn't affect it so you can buy it in clear bottles without any worries that the fatty acids might have gone rancid. If you can't get hold of any try creamed coconut milk which is readily available from supermarkets in tins. Coconut oil is brilliant to cook with because it will take high temperatures without degrading. It contains medium chain fatty acids and is therefore very easy to digest as your bile salts are not required to break it down for digestion. It should give him energy and if you give him good doses of olive oil (see my other posts) he might even be able to gain a bit of weight if he can keep down some carbohydrates like mashed potatoes too.

None of this is my own work by the way. It is based on the work of Mary Enig, an American food nutritionist who is very knowledgeable in her field of study. I suggest you read her because your Dad is going to need a very careful diet of whole foods from now on for the rest of his life and she includes some great recipes for those in need of recovery. In the meantime avoid processed foods like the plague, including margarine.

Let me know how he gets on and good luck, Cheers, kennyboy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

maplea,

One usually loses weight after surgery, so there is nothing to be alarmed about on that count. Work with what your father can keep down. Is it some particular food or type of food that leads to vomitting? Take it slow! After surgery, I start mostly with vegetable soups working up to cooked vegetables with eggs and ricotta cheese for protein and worked from there.

What was the reason for the resection? And do you know approximately how much colon was removed? Frankly, something does sound funny about the recommendation that he will be on a low residue diet for the rest of his life BUT, BUT, BUT, I am an amateur and do not know his diagnosis and his health particulars. Usually one follows a low fiber diet after surgery but then starts to work in more fiber. (I'm most familiar with diverticulitis.)

Blessings!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
(female)

maplea HB User

thank you for the advice. Every little bit of extra info helps me out. I am trying to get more info out of the surgeon who did the surgery, but he is so busy. \
The last coupld of days my dad has been eating smaller meals and this seems to help. He even got up in the middle of night to get a snack. From reading everyone's posts, I know it will be quite a while to recovery because it is a traumatic event, surgery like that.
\thanks again for the help.
I will continue reading these forum posts, as they are all informative.
Maplea

Closed Thread