It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
(female)

Cheryl Martin HB User
Wind problem

I have a terrible wind problem. As I'm sitting in meetings practically all day, that is a very difficult and potentially embarrassing problem. My question: Is it more likely to be a nervous disorder (I'm quite a hyper sort of person), or is it diet-related. I'm already skipping breakfast, would it help to skip dinner too? Any answers welcome, as I find it increasingly difficult to cope.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User
Re: Wind problem

I have the same problem. I have been diagnosed as having IBS, the wind comes and goes. I don't eat anything if I know I'm going to be in a closed room with other people. I take a fibre supplement, eat yogurt and avoid wind causing foods like baked beans etc. I've tried all sorts of prescription and over the counter meds, the only one that helps me is charcoal tablets. You can buy them here (Oz) over the counter at the Chemist. I know how embarrassing it can be, when mine plays up I become a prisoner in my own home. I hope I have helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

Hello, if we think about this logically it might give you some clues.

Flatulence is caused by incomplete digestion of food. It is the effect of the bacteria and yeast in your gut fermenting the food that you have eaten so that you can absorb its nutrients. The obvious thing is to find out what foods give you problems and avoid them for breakfast and dinner. Save them for the evening meal when you can fart your head off in comfort.

Eating nothing is not really a healthy option and it could lead to fatigue and a below normal level of performance at work, you don't want that. Being a woman is doubly embarrassing as you are not programmed to fart publicly at an early age whereas us boys have done it and smiled for years.

I did go to a lecture once where the lecturer accidentally farted during his lecture and achieved cult status because of it. Don't know what your job is or whether just saying 'excuse me while I let rip' is an option. You could become a legend in your time. Always look on the bright side of life. Good luck. Cheers, kennyboy

Last edited by kennyboy; 02-02-2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: product promotion

Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

Good post kennyboy, you made me laugh. I don't think my husband would agree with me farting all night especially in bed. Cheryl, Kenny's comment about diet reminded me of what my GI said about wind. He said it can be caused by a food intolerance often lactose. Maybe it would be worth modifying your diet.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
(female)

Cheryl Martin HB User

That is such a funny reply! At least you made me laugh - still, the problem is serious, and I'm really grateful for all advice.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
(female)

Cheryl Martin HB User

Yes, you did! Thank you so much, I will try the charcoal. In fact I've tried lots of things but if anything it's getting slightly worse. But I'm sure I will get there in the end!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

The irony is that when we decide to get with it and eat lots of fibre and vegetables, etc, it does temporarily make us very windy until the gut gets into the rhythm of it all. This can discourage us from persisting, but it does settle down.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
(male)

I know the problem is serious for you Cheryl and I had no intention of having a laugh at your expense. I thought there was some advice in there as well.

But continuing in that lighthearted vein.....did you know that a Frenchman used to be able to fart a tune by altering the tension of his sphincter muscle? He became a fart performer and was even asked to give a performance before the king which he did successfully. Not sure of the tune but it could have been 'God save the King'. (Oh my god!)

Also the gas you send out into the world is a very highly inflammable methane. There was also a performer who used to lie on his back and ignite his farts so that he became a human fire thrower. True I swear. (But practice at home first).

Now if you can't solve the problem at least there are a couple of freelance jobs you could try to supplement your income.

Alternatively you could insist on all the windows being open at work (because you have developed asthma or sommat) and just let them out silently so that nobody knew it was you.

Or just let them out silently and then just look accusingly at everybody else.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

It is true that not everybody has hangups around the expulsion of wind. There is a charming end-of-party trick in Oz, called the blue-flame special. It involves beer and peanuts in large quantities, and a match. I will leave the rest to your imagination. Truthfully, tho, why is this the mechanism of getting rid of internal gases when we are not allowed to do it when we have to? It seems a bit pointless. (Not that it would be that wonderful in an elevator or anywhere confined). I always think of that epitaph:
"O'er land or sea
Let your wind go free
Holding it in
Were the death of me"

Sera

Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
(female)

Cheryl Martin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
The irony is that when we decide to get with it and eat lots of fibre and vegetables, etc, it does temporarily make us very windy until the gut gets into the rhythm of it all. This can discourage us from persisting, but it does settle down.
I wonder if anybody has experienced the problem due to nervousness. Would it help for example to take some mild tranquilisers? I haven't tried this yet and don't know whether it's at all a good idea. But when you're desperate, you'll give anything a chance.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
(male)

OK lets get serious (sorry about my frivolity) as I realise this is an unpleasant problem for you.

Going back to my original point i.e. that flatulence is caused by fermentation of food in the gut you have to start from basic principles and understand what causes fermentation.

Starches require an alkaline medium for digestion and proteins an acidic one so it is obvious that eating both foods together causes an imbalance to your digestive system and the way your system tries to achieve equilibrium again is to ferment the two quickly, which causes gas.

Most people get away with these conflicting compounds because they have strong digestive juices which are only mildly affected by the protein/starch mix in their gut.

Other unfortunates like yourself, prone to wind, have a weaker digestive constitution particularly if the food is not chewed properly because then your stomach has to work even harder to ferment and process the contents for digestion.

The upshot of this is that as you have a very sensitive stomach you should avoid these gas producing mixtures i.e. donít combine high sugar foods with proteins.

It follows from this that you should avoid the wrong combinations of food.

Starch, fat, green leafy vegetables and sugar can be consumed together for one meal, but proteins, fats and green leafy vegetables should be consumed for the following meal.

You may have to experiment a little to fine-tune the combinations you can get away with but the correct combinations will reduce your flatulence and make your life a bit more bearable.

There now. I knew I could be serious.

Tips for a sensitive stomach:

As a rule, meals should be as simple as possible. For people with a sensitive stomach, it is important to eat small portions of food at regular intervals, rather than indulge in large meals consisting of many food groups at one time.

Eat fruits alone and not with meals. Make oranges, bananas, and potatoes a mini-meal in themselves.

Do not combine proteins and carbohydrates at the same time. The right combination is to have cooked animal proteins and vegetables (other than potatoes) or cooked starches with vegetables.

Do not combine starch and proteins as together, they inhibit metabolism.

Fruits and vegetables are not compatible in the same meal.

Drinking right after meals or up to two hours later dilutes the digestive juices and can impair digestion, causing stomach pains and heartburns. If at all you have to drink between meals, opt for soup or milk, as they are the least troublesome beverages.

Eat high biological value proteins like milk and milk products, eggs, fish, chicken, soyabean etc.

Give a gap of about three hours between two meals.

Good luck, kennyboy

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
(female)

NoRelief HB User

I have the same problem and found I had fructose malabsorption. I am having breath tests for lactose, sucrose and glucose (this one detects bacterial overgrowth) in the next few weeks.

Psyllium husks (fibre supplement) are also a problem but no other type of fibre supplement achieves the desired result.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
(female)

BoldBowels HB User
Thumbs up Re: Wind problem and candida diets

Hi.
I am 31 and have had this problem for years with no help from any doctor.
IBS was diagnosed by doctors but was told I would just have to live with it or go on anti depressants. Its is ruining my life and I currently have no social life and have been forced to live by myself as I would get upset with symptoms and as it is so embarrassing could not explain to people what was up with me when I would have to leave room/office/car. Its quite disgusting and have had friends who have turned their nose up at me etctecetcetc

I have finally diagnosed myself with a yeast infection or candida overgrowth in my intestines and have researched this online for the last few weeks.Its is the only thing that makes since to me and you can find many threads on this website explaining symptoms and the path to cure.

My symptoms (daily basis without break in the last year no exaggerration) have included excessive gas with all food, a feeling of not evacuating bowel and constipation, stomach pains and yes spasms sometimes also. I have bad short term memory and due to a viciouos cycle have depression and drunk feeling and waves of lethargy. I have rarely had thrush which is the main reason women mainly start an anti candida diet.

I recently startes the anti candida diet similar to atkins which means I have eliminated all fruit/juice sugar, most wheat and all gluten. I have one coffee a day where before I would have at least 5-10 cups tea or cofee a day with sugar and milk. Off dairy except butter eggs, low fat sugar free yogurt and some cotage cheese.LOW CARB DIETS HAVE ALSO WORKED FOR MANY IBS SUFFERS.

I am taking anti fungals pro biotics loads of garlic and have started enemas to help relieve symptoms for now.I am hoping that I am in the die off phase as my gas has got worse today and I am feeling flu symptoms. I am really hopeful this is going to work and will follow the diet for as long as needed as this illness has been ruining my life.I will let you know if it works and I hope you research anti candida diets yourself as if someone had suggested this to me sooner maybe I would have saved myself a lot of stress pain and embarrassment.

One other thing I did a york blood test and it indicated that I had a yeast intolerance (all yeast and products are also banned) which at the time I ignored as the list of avoid food were so numerous.I am also blood type O-blood type diet suggests my blood type should stay away from yeast, sugar and all grains.

I refuse to accept that this is a simple case of IBS and there can be no help. No one should have to live like this and people may laugh but it has a huge effect on self esteem and generally my life.

Best of luck and thanks for reading!

Closed Thread