It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
(male)

jstar07 HB User
IBS or more?

Hey all,

Sorry this is long, but anyone with IBS / Crohns / Gastro stories might be interested, and thank you for your help!

I've been having lower abdominal cramps (below the belly button, equal on both sides) for many years. I also have frequent, small bowel movements rarely containing mucus. I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. My bowel movements change from constipation to very mild loose stools (but almost never watery or diarrhea-like). Recently, I've been under alot of stress (house buying, economy, work responsibilities etc.), and I've been having more abdominal pains than usual. As a result, I had a bunch of tests done, which include blood tests, urine samples and stool samples -- all which came back normal. I haven't had any fever, no watery or bloody diarrhea, no waking up to have a bowel movement, no anemia and no abdominal tenderness. When I had the increase in abdominal pains, I ate very little for a few days, hoping it would reduce the cramping.. but it didn't help, and I ended up losing about 4 pounds over the course of 3 or 4 weeks. I have returned to my normal diet, and I haven't been losing any more weight, but haven't gained it back (not that I want to anyway). I went to a Gastro yesterday (I'm feeling a little better now), and the Gastro recommended a slew of new tests, including colonoscopy, barium x-rays and more blood work and stool samples. It is stressful, since I don't have the time to do all these tests now.. but I can't imagine needing to do most of these tests, all my previous blood work and my stool sample was fine -- the only other possibility that I know of is Crohns disease, but I never had a fever, tenderness, significant diarrhea or blood in my stool. The Gastro didn't give much credit to my stress / IBS explanation.

Anyway, bottom line is, I don't really want do more tests (at least not now), because I'm personally convinced it is IBS... am I wrong? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
(male)

Vikingjeff HB User
Re: IBS or more?

Do the tests, you won't be sorry if they are negative, you will be relieved. If you don't, you will be guessing every time you have a problem.

Closed Thread