It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
(male)

davidjoshua HB User
Thrombosed external hemerrhoid removed - what to expect?

This last Monday, an external hemerrhoid formed really fast, and was thrombosed by the end of the day. The pain was so unbearable, regardless of my body's position, that I went to the urgent care clinic and they did a little procedure. I think he just "drained" the hemerrhoid, and removed some of the clots. That procedure was probably the most painful thing I've ever endured in my life, not to mention humiliating. I mean I'm glad I was on the other side and didn't have to see all of that go down, but I screamed and cursed a few times, definitely went into the surgery thinking I'd be graceful but it just wasn't happening. The doctor even told me afterwards how many places do you go where they wipe your *** for you? I thought that was kind of funny.

Anyways, so it's the next morning. I was able to sleep, but it hurts to sit down still. Is this just because of the open wound I have on my ***? I've gone through four pairs of boxers since yesterday, cuz they get kind of bloody. I wouldn't say the area is bleeding, but when you touch it or when I do a sitz theres some blood.

I've been prescribed some corticosteroid and other stuff to put on my *** to reduce swelling and pain. But I'm just curious as to what kind of results should I be expecting each day? I mean it's clear that there's still an external hemerrhoid there, not the pingpong ball that it was before the surgery though. Is this normal and will it go away? My doctor said that if it "came back" I'll probably have to have another procedure. I can only take so many needles and thumbs in my ***, so I'm hopin he meant like the "thrombosis". From here on out, should I be treating this like a regular, not-so-painful external hemerrhoid, in that it'll go back into hiding eventually?

I'm doing sitz baths, applying lidocaine several times a day and a corticosteroid 2x a day. I'm not in severe pain, but still a bit uncomfortable. I haven't had the fun experience of having a bowel movement yet either, but as it was an external hemerrhoid it wasn't really hurting before either. I have an appointment next week, but if anybody has any advice, or familiarity with this I'd be very thankful. Searching the net for stuff on hemerrhoids is pretty useless, as I'm sure you've all come to find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
(male)

gearup727 HB User
Re: Thrombosed external hemerrhoid removed - what to expect?

I had the same procedure you are talking about. The doctor made an incision along the vein and reached in and took out the clot. The incision was left open which is common for this. The incision was kind of unnerving to look at. I took care of it by cutting a piece of non stick gauze that came from Wall mart in-between my but cheeks to absorb any drainage. After having a bowl movement I carefully wiped and hopped right into the shower and cleaned the area and up in my rectum by soaping up the are and using my middle finger to clean out my rectal cannel. I had a bottle of Iodine (Betadine to kill the bacteria) that I would squirt in to a 4x4 piece of gauze and place between my but cheeks and uses to clean the area as much as possible. I would leave it there while I took the rest of my shower. After finishing my shower and rinsing off I dried the area with some toilet paper and replace the gauze with a new piece.
It took a while for the incision to heal up. I would say around three weeks for it to totally close up. It heals from the bottom to the surface. It stopped draining more and more each day and had stopped by 1 1/2 weeks. The proper way to fix what you had is to go to a colorectal surgeon and have them make an incision and remove the vein/hemorrhoid. They make the same type of incision but pull hemorrhoid out and tie it off with a suture. The suture may be anchored to the under side of your skin and then clip off the thrombossed vein. I eventually had this done and took care of the incision as I described above. When they do the procedure you had, the hemorrhoid will continue to give you problems if it was like mine. Good luck! Hang in there, next time it happens go to a Colorectal Doctor and get it removed. It only took the doctor who did me around 12 minutes and now I don't have any problems to speak of with that dam hemorrhoid.

The Following User Says Thank You to gearup727 For This Useful Post:
jackforce1 (07-05-2011)
Closed Thread