It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
(male)

drgkn210 HB User
New member and my problem. Your input is appreciated

Hi,

I am a 27 year old male. I remember having this problem since I was 17.

I take the probiotic Align daily, along with fish oil capsules(1 1200 mg capsule daily) and Metamucil(6 capsules, 3x daily). I am very regular and my daily cycle goes as follows. Within an hour of waking, I will have my first movement but can't get everything out. I feel backed up and become bloated. This movement consists of fairly solid stools. About an hour or two later, I will have to go again and at the end, I still feel that I didn't get everything out. This movement is usually alot looser, like diarrhea. This may be the last movement of the day or I may go once or twice more within a short period of time. After the last movement, I am bloated for the remainder of day. The cycle repeats the next morning.

Before I started taking the supplements, I was irregular and during a movement, it was like my muscles would contract while passing a stool and cut it off before it was fully out, leaving half the stool still in without me being able to pass it. With the supplements, I at least will pass a whole "piece."

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed what I thought was blood in my stool, which lasted everyday for more than a week. (bright red patches in the stool, didn't seem like liquid in the water) I couldn't narrow any foods down that may have colored it. I went to see a GP who referred me to a GI doc. I saw him today and he has ordered a colonoscopy.

The colonoscopy should reveal some answers, but in the meantime, any advice on what I might be able to do to fully "evacuate" during a BM so I don't feel backed up and bloated all day?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
Re: New member and my problem. Your input is appreciated

What is your current diet like? Composition of every meal, please?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
(male)

drgkn210 HB User

For breakfast: either a bowel of honey bunches of oats or egg whites with a piece of fruit (apple, pear, raspberries, strawberries, or grapes occasionally).

Lunch and dinner mostly grilled or baked chicken with more fruit or a salad with no dressing or tomatoes. Sometimes steaks with grilled mushrooms and corn on the cob. Sometimes grilled fish.

I do work in a restaurant and sometimes eat the random extras that are prepared in the kitchen (fries, fried shrimp, onion rings, etc.).

Snacks are fruit, mixed nuts, beef jerky.

I usually drink alcohol a couple nights a week. I haven't been able to sense much of a change on nights I don't drink versus nights that I do.

I drink an energy drink or two a day and sometimes a cup of coffee.

This had been my basic diet since september when I started exercising. Before that I would eat anything. I think i started taking the probiotic around this time.

Other information that I forgot to post that may be helpful:

I gained a couple of pounds when I first started lifting weights, but have leveled off. My weight has been pretty consistent for years.

I don't smoke.

There is a lot of stress in my life.

If I miss one day of taking the Metamucil, the next couple of days become very difficult for me.

If I'm not home during my normal time to go, I usually won't have to go, but will become irregular and making a BM becomes very difficult. I've noticed this specifically on two different occasions would I would fly out of town. I would miss my normal time to go and the next 3-4 days were hell. Basically reverting back to how I was before taking the supplements.

Part of the reason I think I have difficulty fully evacuating is because my muscles clinch up after passing a stool and I'll lose the urge to go while still feeling that there's more left. I think I read magnessium helps with this. Do you think it is something I should try?

btw, in my first post, does that sound like blood to you? I assumed it was and told the doc that it was. Not that "I thought" it was.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Metamucil is a water soluble type fiber that bulks up your stool-- psyllium seed husk. When taking it in capsule form, you need to make sure that you drink enough water so the fiber can absorb fluid -- 6 to 8 glasses daily. I like and use psyllium but I like the power form best because I know it is well dispersed with water and the glass of water following a dose.

You also need insoluble fiber to cause your intestine muscles to contract and move digested food through your digestive tract.

A person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for normal BMs but it needs to be a combination of both types of fiber. All fruits and all veggies are insoluble along with the outer parts all grains (bran), beans & peas including nuts and seeds.

Foods that contain Soluble Fiber includes the inner part of grains, beans, peas. And, the root veggies like potatoes, carrots, beets and turnips. Of course the fibers like Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber and Fiber Choice. FiberCon is an insoluble fiber.

All meats, seafood and dairy products contain NO fiber.

It sound like you are not drinking enough water daily or eating enough insoluble fiber daily.
I am sure you get adequate exercise in your line of work!!

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 02-11-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
(male)

drgkn210 HB User

Thanks for the response!

I believe that I drink plenty of water, but am probably lacking insoluble fiber. I'll try Fibercon.

My other concern is what I thought to be blood in the stool. The stool had bright red spots or patches in it for a week or so every day. It was part of the stool and not a liquid discharge clouding the water in the toilet. Does this sound like it was blood and something to worry about? I'd hate to have to go through a colonoscopy if I had mistaken the coloration for something else. I can't think of anything I could have eaten that would have colored it.

Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

That was ok. That wasn't too long a post, anyway, lol.

Well, if you'd care to try, I would propose the following meal plan, in contrast to what you are eating nowadays.

Breakfast: toast (wholemeal, if it is ok for you; if not, then white toast) + one or two eggs (whole) + a cup of coffee or tea.

Lunch (12 am - 1 pm) and dinner (7 - 8 pm): a starch (potatoes or rice or noodles) + raw salad (without tomatoes - tomatoes are fruit!) + meat (chicken, red meat or fish) + a piece of apple pie or some dark chocolate (optional) + half a glass of water.

Afternoon snack (5 pm): some raw fruit (except nuts, dried fruits or bananas)

Don't mix raw fruits with carbs and protein. Eat your fruit always alone (no other food). Don't eat between meals, no leftovers, please. No snacks, except a fruit snack around 5 pm, if possible and if hungry. Choose just one kind of fruit (grapes, cherries, apple, pear, peach, orange, whatever).

Start the day with a full glass of lukewarm water (on a empty stomach). Avoid dairy. Chew your food slowly and well. Don't eat in a rush. Rest a while after eating if possible.

Do abdominal exercises. Sleep as much as possible. Try to reduce the stress in your life. Slow down. Do the possible. Leave the impossible for the Superman.

I can't answer about your suspicion if that was blood or not in the stools. But I know that too hard stools can make the rectum bleed.

What kind of alcohol do you drink? A glass of red wine at dinner is ok, or maybe some light beer. But don't do it every day.

Last edited by pendulum; 02-12-2009 at 02:45 AM.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

Hello mate. I'll bet any money you like that your rectal bleeding has been brought on by your weight lifting because it has given you a dose of internal piles which tend to bleed when you pass hard stools or strain when trying to pass. The only solution is to keep your stools soft. You have been told to drink a lot of water by previous posters which is absolutely necessary but I would add that you also need to consume oil (olive oil) in greater doses than you could possibly consume over-the-counter stool softeners which are pretty useless in my experience. The oil mixes with the water and food in your gut and creates an emulsified stool that is soft enough to pass without causing stress to the rectal passage. (See my other posts)

Unfortunately once you have caused a piles problem through weight lifting you will have a weakness in that area and will have to deal with it now (on and off) for the rest of your life. I know because I've got the t shirt. However I don't mean to scare you because it's not a major problem and is manageable with a sensible diet and the things already mentioned above. Try stopping your weight lifting and you will find the blood will go. Take it up again and the blood will return. That's why you now have to develop a strategy that will cut down the problem to a bare minimum. Oil, water, fiber and a sensible diet. Good luck and let us know how you get on, so many people don't. Cheers, kennyboy.

Closed Thread