It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
(male)

Vince Tomkovicz HB User
Angry Hemorrhoid Surgery

I had both internal and I guess mild external hemorrhoids. They were there for several years. I finally had enough of the extra tissue on the exterior and the effort it took to stay clean. I had surgery 14 days ago. The doctor removed several large internal and the external ones.

Once the anesthetic wore off I got the idea of the kind of pain that would be present. I had anticipated the worse and I was not disappointed! I am allergic to codeine so had to settle for Darvocet which I was taking 3 at a time every few hours for almost two weeks.

The first bowel movement was horrible. Blood everywhere and the pain almost made me faint. Once I laid down the dizziness went away.

Then I was unable to urinate after the third day so off to the urologist to get a catheter which was in for three more days. Once removed I was able to urinate on my own but still a weak flow at times.

Bm's are just horrible, period!

I went to the surgeon for my first follow up today. He said things looked good and told me to take tylenol as I had had enough of the heavier stuff.

I had some good days following the surgery but also very bad times. Lots of pain that you really can't describe.

Your body tells you you have to go and I sat there trying (being told not to strain) but your body also says "Hey this is gonna hurt so much I'm just not gonna let you go." So you spend a lot of time waiting to go in pain the whole time.

Today 2 weeks later I have had a bm 3 or 4 times and finally it only burns during then afterwards it goes away pretty fast. I hope there is no return to yesterday!

Lots of time in the bath tub with hot water helps. Now I spray shower instead of using toilet paper.

Off work 1.5 weeks and in the second week can only take 1/2 days.

Knowing what I know now I would not do it again but it is just to fresh in my mind and I am tired and feel like I've still been through the war. The surgery, drugs, urologist, more drugs, mineral oils, stool softeners (the last two are a must) etc. have me exhausted.

Once healed I am sure the result will be worth it and the doctor told me that if I did not have it done now in a few years there would have been bigger problems. He said I'd probably never have a problem with them again.

Advice: (free so take it for what it is worth) There is cause for anxiety about the pain and recovery. Get lots of pain meds and follow all the directions. Still, take each post op day and time period as one step closer to being healed and try to stop asking yourself, "What the h--l did I ever do this for?"

Hope this helps, it is no picnic and don't let anyone tell you differently. There are other complications that I did not have. You can read about them online.

Take good care of yourself post op and don't be alone especially until things start moving again.

Hope this helps someone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
(female)

c4tforever HB User
Re: Hemorrhoid Surgery

Hii, yes thanx a lot for that msg! i too had the serugery done a week back. BM has been awful and like u the first when i passed stools..oh man! i almost fainted too.i was almost crying!! like giving birth to a baby! geez. later it was ok..but smarts like nothing.
i was told that if my stich wont dissolve they wil ahve to take it off ina fw days time. so far its been trips to the doc daily! for injection and dressing. injection was to prevent infectin in that area. i cant sit for long too..or stand for long. but im eating ok. unlike b4 more water/fruits and veg. for my surgery they used cooks-shortshot. it did hurt but... i was told i wont hav eto wrry for the next 20 yrs!! but im worried thinking if my bowels get hard again , will i get hemds, back?
how are you feeling now? can u do ur normal work now? what abt lo9ng walks/running?>
how llng will it take to get back to normal state and duz the stools get hard or are they everyday soft?
hoep ur recvering fine! take good care and thanx for encouraing msg there.

cheers,

Cyndi

Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

c4tforever HB User
Thumbs up Re: Hemorrhoid Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Tomkovicz View Post
I had both internal and I guess mild external hemorrhoids. They were there for several years. I finally had enough of the extra tissue on the exterior and the effort it took to stay clean. I had surgery 14 days ago. The doctor removed several large internal and the external ones.

Once the anesthetic wore off I got the idea of the kind of pain that would be present. I had anticipated the worse and I was not disappointed! I am allergic to codeine so had to settle for Darvocet which I was taking 3 at a time every few hours for almost two weeks.

The first bowel movement was horrible. Blood everywhere and the pain almost made me faint. Once I laid down the dizziness went away.

Then I was unable to urinate after the third day so off to the urologist to get a catheter which was in for three more days. Once removed I was able to urinate on my own but still a weak flow at times.

Bm's are just horrible, period!

I went to the surgeon for my first follow up today. He said things looked good and told me to take tylenol as I had had enough of the heavier stuff.

I had some good days following the surgery but also very bad times. Lots of pain that you really can't describe.

Your body tells you you have to go and I sat there trying (being told not to strain) but your body also says "Hey this is gonna hurt so much I'm just not gonna let you go." So you spend a lot of time waiting to go in pain the whole time.

Today 2 weeks later I have had a bm 3 or 4 times and finally it only burns during then afterwards it goes away pretty fast. I hope there is no return to yesterday!

Lots of time in the bath tub with hot water helps. Now I spray shower instead of using toilet paper.

Off work 1.5 weeks and in the second week can only take 1/2 days.

Knowing what I know now I would not do it again but it is just to fresh in my mind and I am tired and feel like I've still been through the war. The surgery, drugs, urologist, more drugs, mineral oils, stool softeners (the last two are a must) etc. have me exhausted.

Once healed I am sure the result will be worth it and the doctor told me that if I did not have it done now in a few years there would have been bigger problems. He said I'd probably never have a problem with them again.

Advice: (free so take it for what it is worth) There is cause for anxiety about the pain and recovery. Get lots of pain meds and follow all the directions. Still, take each post op day and time period as one step closer to being healed and try to stop asking yourself, "What the h--l did I ever do this for?"

Hope this helps, it is no picnic and don't let anyone tell you differently. There are other complications that I did not have. You can read about them online.

Take good care of yourself post op and don't be alone especially until things start moving again.

Hope this helps someone!
Hii, yes thanx a lot for that msg! i too had the serugery done a week back. BM has been awful and like u the first when i passed stools..oh man! i almost fainted too.i was almost crying!! like giving birth to a baby! geez. later it was ok..but smarts like nothing.
i was told that if my stich wont dissolve they wil ahve to take it off ina fw days time. so far its been trips to the doc daily! for injection and dressing. injection was to prevent infectin in that area. i cant sit for long too..or stand for long. but im eating ok. unlike b4 more water/fruits and veg. for my surgery they used cooks-shortshot. it did hurt but... i was told i wont hav eto wrry for the next 20 yrs!! but im worried thinking if my bowels get hard again , will i get hemds, back?
how are you feeling now? can u do ur normal work now? what abt lo9ng walks/running?>
how llng will it take to get back to normal state and duz the stools get hard or are they everyday soft?
hoep ur recvering fine! take good care and thanx for encouraing msg there.

cheers,

Cyndi

Closed Thread