It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
(female)

EmilyR HB User
Foods I can eat after colon resection

Hi,

Nine days ago I underwent surgery where they removed 6 inches of tissue from my sigmoid colon. My doctor's been very vague about foods I can eat and can not, and I hope I didn't seriously screw up today. He put me on a soft food diet. For the past week, for breakfast lunch and dinner, I've had the same boring rice soup that they've been giving me in the hospital. It's not bad, but it's not my idea of something I want every day, and I'm not convinced I'm getting enough nutrients from it. Today I had a fruit smoothie, some eggs, and clear soup for lunch...with bits of tofu in it. I didn't finish the eggs because they seemed too greasy. I don't think there'd be any problems with those, but I'm worried now.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: Foods I can eat after colon resection

Hello Emily, I woudn't worry too much about the greasy eggs as they are not going to scour your intestine as they pass through so no physical damage will occur, but you might be wise not to consume too much at one meal as you don't want a large volume of waste matter to pass through and possibly stretch things. Anything with roughage like nuts and stuff like that doesn't sound like a good idea as they can be quite abrasive. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

I spent a week in the hospital after my re-section and, at discharge, was told to eat soft foods for another 2 weeks....creamed soups, puddings, mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes, etc. Then, I could introduce all foods slowly. So....at 3 weeks post-surgery, I ate pizza! I could eat just about anything I wanted...altho I avoided salads for a while. I ate a lot of chicken and fish...as red meat is hard to digest. You shouldn't be consuming lots of fiber initially. Lots of healing going on inside at this point.....

The eggs shouldn't be a problem. Get some Boost or Ensure if you feel you're not getting enough nutrients. Most surgeon's discharge their patients with a diet they should follow. I'm surprised yours didn't.

Before you know it, you'll be eating anything and everything!
Good luck,
Linda

Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
(female)

babyface27320 HB User
Wink Re: Foods I can eat after colon resection

I had right side colon resection done on 01/09/09. The doctors didn't tell me foods that I couldn't eat. I was also told to be on soft bland diet for a couple of weeks. I had 2 attacks of diverticulitis in less than 1 year and I'm only 39 years old. A year ago I had my gallbladder removed and hernia repaired. I've been in pain on my right side for a while and found out it was the foods I've been eating. I am currently on a liquid and soft food like baby food diet right now and seem to be doing better. I go see my GI on Tuesday. I must have really irradiated my sutures inside because I've have constant pain and it feels like a pulled muscle. It's only been 2 days since I've eaten baby food. I feel hungry about an hour after I ate it. I've been really scared that I hurt myself inside. I just pray that everything is okay. I went back to work last week but only four hours a day and it was really tough. I wish you the best and hopefully you will find some foods that will work for you.

Mary

Old 02-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
(female)

EmilyR HB User

Thanks for the advice. It really helps. My situation is weird. I'm a loooong way from home and am staying at a hotel near the hospital. Unfortunately, I'm limited to takeout and what the hotel serves. It REALLY makes things more complicated. If I were home, I'd fry up some french toast, make some oatmeal, and some fish and I'd be set. So, not only am I on a restricted diet, I have a small selection to begin with...and it's mostly asain food...okay...it's ALL asian food...mostly Thai. I don't think curry is going to do me a lot of good right now.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
(female)

schoolgirl47 HB User

I also had colon resection surgery. It was on the 4th of this month.The dr. took out 2 1/2 to 3 ft. of my colon.There were polops on there. The dr. told me I could eat anything I wanted (I was surprised). My bowels have gradually gotten past the diarrhea and I was doing good, however during the night I had a lot of gas and a little diarrhea this a.m. I just wonder if I should really be on a soft food diet.After reading these post I wonder if I need to really watch my food intake. Thanks

Closed Thread