It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
(male)

fiddlerget HB User
can someone help diagnose my symptoms?

I'm trying to figure out if I have an anal fissure or hemorrhoids, or both.

i've looked in the mirror, but didn't see any blue-ish or red bulbs like I've seen in hemorrhoid photos on the net. I didn't see any cut either, but it's difficult if not impossible to do a good self exam in that area. are hemorrhoids definitly going to ba a different color than the surrounding skin color in that area?

When I wake up I don't have any pain or discomfort. I can sit, walk, whatever, no problem. but, if I go for a drive just after waking I have some discomfort, but not really bad pain.

When I go #2 I have a sharp pain in one spot. The pain subsides quickly even while I'm still deficating, but then within ten minutes my whole anus hurts. The pain lasts sometimes for a few hours, and other times the whole day through.
When I drive after my first #2 of the day, I'm in bad pain, can't sit still, it's miserable, I can hardly concentrate on traffic.

I thought I had a small cut and thought it would heal within a day or two, but it's been over three weeks now and the pain is not as bad as it was at first, it's still bad enough to keep me from fully functioning.

I've applied prep-h, but that seemed to make it hurt more and it felt swollen until the prep-h wore off. Is that common with hemorrhoids? does prep-h and hydrocortisone creams make it hurt more? and possibly swell?

I've read about the common treatments for both hemorrhoids and fissures and the treatments are almost the same. But I think I would handle one a little different than the other, so I'm trying to figure out which one is the cause of my pain.

it all started one morning when I had trouble passing stool. I'd had to go #2 the night before but fell asleep before I went. The next morning I passed a hard dried stool. I had to strain pretty good to get it out. It felt like it cut it's way through, which is why I thought i just had a cut, but since i strained so much I'm wondering if I caused a hemorrhoid also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: can someone help diagnose my symptoms?

You cannot see an anal fissure as it is located internally. You also cannot see internal hemorrhoids. The only external evidence is the possible development if a skin tag which is like a small lump on the edge of your anus usually facing the front and that is a clear indication that you have a fissure. You can feel the lump with your finger when you bath (about the size of a small pea). The sharp pain you feel when you have a crap is the fissure splitting open when you pass a hard stool and the irritation it causes can last for hours. The vibration of the car's motion is generated through the seat and causes the fissure to move slightly which causes the irritation and discomfort. The sphincter muscle goes into spasm and feels swollen as you describe.

The pain experienced with hemorrhoids is felt in various places within the anus and not in the one spot that denotes that it is a fissure giving you the trouble. You could in fact have both. The only way to tell for sure is to get an internal examination from your doctor who may insert a finger and ask you if you feel pain where the fissure is usually located because he won't be able to see it either without special equipment. He can usually see hemorrhoids though but may overlook the fissure. My doctor didn’t see my fissure. The skin tag is usually the clue.

Both hemorrhoids and a fissure bleed so blood in your stools is not a clear diagnosis one way or the other. You didn't mention blood but it's probably that you didn't notice it. Small fissures can heal themselves without taking curative action but what you have described is the start of a chronic condition which needs you to take curative measures.

Obtaining soft stools through diet is a must to alleviate the worst symptoms. You can cure a fissure with discipline and the correct diet. Otherwise it could lead to necessary surgery and then to all the other possible complications that you read on these boards. Get it diagnosed quickly so that you can begin a self cure. I was going to say 'a stitch in time saves nine' but you really want to avoid that.

There is enough good advice from various posters to support you on these boards. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Cheers, kennyboy.

Last edited by kennyboy; 02-23-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
(male)

fiddlerget HB User

Thanks for your input kenny.
yeah, I have a skin tag. I did notice blood the day after I got the injury, but I haven't noticed any since then.
I've started a high fiber diet with lots of psyllium, and I'm eating less and drinking more water also. I went and got some epsom salts for soaking, and some medicated witch-hazel pads with glycerin last night. I'm trying to stay away from the creams because they all burn so much.

I'll return to let the board know how it all goes. I hope it'll help someone.

Last edited by fiddlerget; 02-24-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
(male)

I don't get a lot of irritation now since I started to seriously watch my diet but sometime ago when I was ignorant of what I was suffering from I was in absolute agony whilst on holiday and a friend suggested using Vaseline.

I was sceptical at first but gave it a go and was amazed at how soothing it was. It doesn't cure anything but lubricates everything and stops that annoying friction you get through the car seat when driving or even walking. I haven't tried glycerine but imagine it would be good because like Vaseline it is a pretty innert slippery substance. Let us know how you get on with that for future reference. Good luck mate.

Oh... and don't have any hot curries while you're raw...the spices go right through and burn like hell.

Last edited by kennyboy; 02-24-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have the anal fissure too guys. I am in complete misery right now. I can barely sit. I could barely function at work. I am afraid I can't make it through work tomorrow. These things take awhile to heal. I had one a year and a half ago. Now it's back. I get them with bout of diarrhea. I am on some antibiotics that made me have an upset stomach and it upsets my intestines and results in violent diahrrea. So now here I am....trying to deal with this.

Do you have bleeding as the cut it irritated during a bowel movement? Mine is bright red when I wipe there. Drops of blood fall into the toilet too. I have had my doctor look up in there. She confirmed it. I do take medicated suppositories that help. It's hard to keep them up in there sometimes. My sphinctor muscles spasms all the time. It hurts and drives me crazy. It makes me feel like I need to go the bathroom again. I can just feel it spasm.

Please...share any idea's for a cure or a remedy. Thanks guys! Good luck! I hope you feel better too!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
(male)

Hello Tedds, try the Vaseline I think you will be surprised at how soothing it can be to the outer parts of your anus particularly when your sphincter has gone into spasm.

Also an inflatable cushion with a hole in it (like a huge polo mint) will keep the pressure off your tender spot. I hate suppositories as it always feels like an obstruction before is dissipates. If I need to apply a cream I'll use an applicator which squirts it where you want it.

I found that to heal a fissure it's important to keep the fissure as clean as you can as any remaining feces is going to hinder the process. I did that by regular douching and then a squirt of neat olive oil with a syringe as you can't get Vaseline right inside.

In my experience the only lengthy 'cure' is correct diet and soft stools. All the creams and lotions might sound good but it's basically a physiological problem that you just have to avoid stressing with difficult defecation. Not easy I know, but it is possible with self discipline. Good luck.

Last edited by kennyboy; 02-25-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
(male)

fiddlerget HB User

I've placed a large soft pillow in my seat for driving and it really quiets the vibrations from the car so driving isn't as bad, it really helps me. it's just a plain regular size sleeping pillow.
soaking in warm water with epsom salts helps me with the spasm. I only had pain yesterday for about an hour of my morning, but the rest of the day any pain wasn't more than discomfort. discomfort is better than excruciating pain. i don't know if the salts help or if it's just the warm soak that does it.

Closed Thread