It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

nancymosemen HB User
Exclamation Please help... sick for 4.5 months!

Greetings! I am about to lose my mind - any advice would be great!

It started about 4.5 months ago - HORRIBLE gas that smells very bad but only happens at night. I also experience diarrhea 1-3 times per week (always in the AM). Bowel movements every two days or so otherwise. Eat plenty of fiber.

Then it progressed to pain in the right side of my abdomen, nausea after eatting meals, still have gas, and just an overall feeling of illness. I literally just don't feel well - at all. I feel "sick" almost every single day. Now when I exercise, I have pain in my abdomen which does not allow me to jog, bike, etc.

I feel bloated frequently and when I do have a bowel movement, it typically feels as though there is still something there as if I need to go more but I cannot.

I went to the doctors in Jan. they did the following tests:

-Liver function
-Pancrease fluids
-Other "belly" tests
-Chrons
-Celiac
-Cholesterol
-Sugar
-Antibody levels
- Preggo test (urine) which came back negative

... All came back normal. The only thing off SLIGHTLY was my potassium level which was 3.4 instead of 3.5.

The doctor is sending me for an ultrasound and xray to rule out my gall bladder however the earliest they could get me in is still 2.5 weeks away!

I took it upon myself to get to a GI appointment an hour away from my home which I go on Monday as by the time the doc put in the request for a GI, the waiting list was 4 months long. My doctor seems to think that this could just all be stress however I feel horrible - everyday - and he really doesn't seem concerned.

I have had some blood in stool, not just on toilet paper, and often have the chills.

Any ideas?... I am seriously starting to worry that there is something VERY wrong and my doc is just sitting back...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: Please help... sick for 4.5 months!

Hello Nancy. I am surprised that your doctor did not suggest a colonoscopy. That would at least put your mind at rest that there is no physical obstruction or abnormality. It doesn't sound like stress to me but then I'm no expert. You don't say which country you are from so I don't know how much pressure you can put on your doctor to speed things up.

The fact that the problem occurs at night is not really significant to me and just suggests that your spincter muscle has relaxed in your sleep and the gas build-up is leaking.

Blood in stools is not a clear indication that it is one particular thing as he's probably already informed you, but feeling 'chilly' points towards an infection somewhere...... to me anyway but if you have an infection your temperature should be erratic, is it?

It doesn't sound like a fissure because the pain from these is localised near your anus, and boy do you know when you've got one! Hemorrhoids is a remote possibilty and a colonoscopy will definitely pick that up.

Good to know that you are fit in every other way. Keep us informed and good luck.

PS. As an afterthought your symptoms are similar to sufferers of coeliac desease which is probably why you have not been recommended for a colonoscopy but an x ray instead. It would also explain the foul smelling gas. It tends to run in families I have read. Any history of something similar with relatives?
However it is a manageable disease because it basically is a gluten intolerance that does not allow your intestine to function normally. If you cut out gluten from your diet while you are waiting for the next medical step it might prove the point and it wouldn't harm you. Cheers.

Last edited by kennyboy; 02-26-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
(female)

nancymosemen HB User

Thank you for responding!

My lovely doctor, who only insists on seeing me once month, told me on Feb 16th that now he thought it was ok to refer me to a GI to see if they wanted to do a colonoscopy. He said that he is an expert in general med and he will let someone else be the expert to determine if I need a scope done. At that point, the waiting list was 4 months long which is why I took it upon myself to find another GI that could get me in sooner and it is an hour from my home. I go on this Tuesday.

They also did a stool culture which came back normal and did a blood cell count which he said showed no infection. It is all just so bizarre.... wouldn't you say?

I love in the U.S., have not been on antibiotics, nor have I traveled outside the country. These seem to be questions that many have when they hear about my symptoms.

Any help would be great... I am just really worried that it is something serious and all the Doc is doing is pushing me prescription anti-diarreha pills to take 4x's a day but he said it may cause constipation so I have not taken them.. ugh.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
(male)

Well you don't mention any pain at all and if your stools are 'normal' (apart from the diarrhea) then irritable bowel syndrome looks like a prime suspect. Some people with IBS have found a probiotic called VSL3 to be very helpful. Wouldn't do you any harm to try it and see if it makes a difference. It's a case of trying certain strategies until you (or your doctor) hit on the solution.

You could have a gall stone or and appendix problem....there are loads of possibilities that are not life threatening I'm happy to add. Do you smoke as that can sometimes play havoc with your digestion?
Good luck and keep us informed how things go.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
(female)

nancymosemen HB User

Greetings!!

Went to the GI and they are sending me for a colonoscopy on March 20th. I am VERY nervous and not sure what to expect.

Why do so many people on here say that it is painful? I thought they knock you out for the procedure?? Any advice would be helpful!

Thank you!

Old 03-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
(male)

They don't actually knock you out because I think they need your cooperation a bit but what they do is give you a drug that sedates you so that you relax and you are not supposed to remember anything about it afterwards.

I think you can ask not to be sedated if you don't want it. I didn't realise I had the choice until I read these boards and I might ask not to be sedated next time because I was really sick with the sedative afterwards and had to lie in bed for a few hours intermittently vomiting.

One woman who had hers done at the same time (with sedative) just pulled on her drawers and walked straight out without any after effects at all. Different people react differently. Even with the sedative I remember wincing a bit with the pain but it wasn't unbearable.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-07-2009 at 03:50 AM.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
(female)

nancymosemen HB User

Thank you for all your advice!

The doc called me this week to let me know that he was going out of town and that we had to push back the colonoscopy until March 27th.

I go for an Ultrasound tomorrow morning as well as a KUB (not sure that that is) x-ray.

Let's hope this is all well & fine...

Old 03-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
(female)

seajay HB User

Not that I have any idea what your diagnosis is because I certainly don't, but I'll ask you the same thing my doctor asked me. Have you had many laparoscopic procedures? Female surgeries? If so, scar tissue may be an issue. My doctor believes that I may have scar tissue connected to my intestine causing a restriction of my BMs. I have not been diagnosed and am scheduled for an ultrasound. I don't know if anything will show up on it as scar tissue may not show on an ultrasound, but again, I'm not an expert and am currently seeking a diagnosis.

My pain is intense when I push, having BMs. Sometimes I stop because it is so severe. Constant pain in one area has become a new issue, not just when my bowels are full as before, but it's 24/7 now. If it truly is the case, I'm glad my doctor was right on it.

Please keep us posted and this same thing may be a consideration for you.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
(male)

I would guess that the ultrasound x ray is to make sure you don't have diverticulitis because a colon scope could perforate your colon if you have any infection due to that ailment. If that is clear (but not diagnostic) they then might do the scope for a closer look. Keep us informed and best of luck.

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-09-2009 at 02:37 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
(female)

nancymosemen HB User

Greetings!

I went for the utlra sound which showed all is well for the most part. They are mainly focusing on my gall bladder however the ultra sound showed that I don't have gall stones.

I went back to the doc's and today they sent me for a HIDA Scan. Not so pleasant (I am HORRIBLE with needles). The CCK injection made me sick to my stomach and I didn't feel all that well for a few hours later. I would say when they injected the CCK, that was worse than laying on the table under the xray machine for almost two hours!

I am supposed to call the doc's for my results over the next few days and then if they came back normal - they want me to go for the colonoscopy next week and run more blood tests. If it comes back abnormal, they want to schedule gall bladder surgery.

In my heart, I don't think it is my gall bladder however I am hoping it is so that I can just end all of this sickness!!

Any thoughts?....

Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
(female)

nancymosemen HB User

Doctor called today! HIDA scan showed my gall bladder is functioning at less than 1%!! Still have to go for colonoscopy... good times (not so much...)

Less than 1% function sounds pretty bad....

Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
(female)

seajay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
I would guess that the ultrasound x ray is to make sure you don't have diverticulitis because a colon scope could perforate your colon if you have any infection due to that ailment. If that is clear (but not diagnostic) they then might do the scope for a closer look. Keep us informed and best of luck.
Ultrasound shows prominent spleen. My Doctor had his nurse call today and she said it was extensive and that the doctor wants to do bloodwork and a follow up CT Scan of my abdomen as soon as possible. I'm thinking that he felt it originally when he first ordered the ultrasound because they did some investigating of my liver and as I understand it, the spleen and liver usually enlarge together. He was on vacation last week so the word didn't come in until today.

Closed Thread