It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
(female)

gemini123 HB User
5 year old with diarrhoea and formed stools

Hi i am wondering if anyone knows why my daughter has diarrhea mixed with some solid stools?

As a baby she would get extreemly constipated it was awful trying to see her going to the toilet, she would even tear and was in such distress.She would also have bouts of very soft stools. Took her to the doctors and he said she would grow out of it.

So we kept giving her some fig juice etc to try and ease it, this went on for a long time and then we didnt really think of it again, she had recurring episodes but has been jolly in herself.

She has been complaining of mild stomach ache and she is quite windy and has always had a pot belly, but she has been like this for a long time. I have asked her to tell me when she has been to the toilet and she seems to have diarrhoea but also some formed stool?????

I am going to ring the doctors on monday but any thoughts would be good

I was anaemic when pregnant and breast feeding could this have had any effect on her??

Old 02-28-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: 5 year old with diarrhoea and formed stools

Hello, I know the worry you feel as my daughter felt the same way when my grandson had constipation. I am a great believer in oil as a stool softener and suggested she try it with him and bingo! He was as right as rain within a very short period. She now gives him a very small dose of olive oil with his food and he hasn't suffered since I'm happy to say.

The unevenness in her stools is probably due to the fact that she is not regular in her movements so softer waste matter tends to build up behind the blockage of the harder stools and then it all comes out uneven which is puzzling. The fig juice would just contribute to the unevenness because it wouldn't have much effect on the hard stool ready to be evacuated but would have an effect on what was behind it.

If you mix the olive oil with everything she takes it should stop that from happening. She will also need a good diet to include plenty of fiber and a tasty soluble fiber drink that is good for anybody is 'Fybogel', (orange flavour) available from chemists. It contains no nasty chemicals and pregnant women can take it without worry. Water is important too but I know that kids don't drink it naturally if they haven’t been trained to so the orange flavour should make it attractive to her. Not sure about the dosages for children under 6 years so ask your doctor when you see him. He may think she is getting adequate fiber in plenty of fruit and vegetables as it is and won't need the Fybogel.

The olive oil, water and fiber should stop her from tearing herself which is important because a lot of adult problems can be traced back to when they were kids.

Breast feeding has only had a beneficial effect on her believe me and has nothing whatsoever to do with her current problems.

Let us know what the doctor says and good luck, and give her a kiss from me.
X

Last edited by kennyboy; 02-28-2009 at 05:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
(female)

gemini123 HB User
Re: 5 year old with diarrhoea and formed stools

Thanks KennyBoy what a lovely reply

and dood advice thankyou

Closed Thread