It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
(male)

leutnant HB User
A bunch of symptoms and no strong diagnosis

I don't know what exactly is wrong with me even though I have been given a diagnosis, however weak it seems. I have described my symptoms to my doctors and have had many tests done, but still, only one test has shown anything. I had a defecography done and it showed that with repeated straining I had recto-rectal intussusception.

I'm going to Johns Hopkins to get treated and my GI there has told me that he doesn't recommend that I get a surgery done to correct this problem. Also, he's having me get another defecography done to confirm the recto-rectal intuss. diagnosis.

Here are my symptoms:

-I have to strain HARD every time I need to have a bowel movement. This is because, most of the times, my stools are like small pellets, which are hard to pass. When I have bulkier and well formed stools, then it's the complete opposite- when I feel an urge to defecate, I have to go PRONTO! I can't hold it in. I consider myself fortunate that I don't have incontinence because at least I can hold back my stools long enough to go to the bathroom.

-Hours before I actually have a bowel movement, I know that I will have one because of this "heavy" feeling I get. During this time, I can strain as hard as I can, but the stool WILL NOT come out.

This is when my most distressing symptom manifests: the odor of my stool leaks out. This doesn't happen through flatulence but rather, it works like those car air fresheners- the odor just wafts out of me.

-Urinal dripping. This one started a few months ago. Every time I'm done peeing and put on my boxers, a drop or two leaks out. This is annoying.

-Although it's extremely rare, sometimes when I hold back the stools, I get this shooting/stabbing pain in my anus. It last anywhere from 3-8 seconds.

-Whenever I consume anything with fructose in it (snacks and soda), my anus gapes opens up by itself and a low-pressure gas seeps out. I don't consider this flatulence because this can last for hours on end. I have been diagnosed with fructose malabsorbtion.

-I don't experience satisfaction after a bowel movement. Before all of this started, I can remember that as soon as the last bit of stool left, my anus/the muscles surrounding it would contract immediately, leaving me with a feeling of satisfaction. Now this feeling never occurs.

After passing particularly bulky stools, while wiping, I notice that my anus gapes open and doesn't close up.

-"Something" pushes against my anus whether I'm standing our sitting. It makes sitting on soft surfaces, like couches, extremely uncomfortable. If I sit long enough, I can feel my anus gaping open like it would if someone were to spread apart my buttocks.

If I contract my external anal sphincters, this "something" stops pushing against my anus; as soon as I stop contracting, "it" drops down and starts pushing on my anus again.

I don't know what this "something" is.

-Although these are extremely rare, I have found blood and mucus on my stools and on the toilet paper.

I don't know what is wrong with me, but I suspect it has something to do with my anus.

Please, any help?

Last edited by leutnant; 03-01-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: A bunch of symptoms and no strong diagnosis

Oh mate I feel really sorry for you but from what you describe your medic is right. From what I have read about intussusceptions (there was somebody else with this on these boards a few weeks ago) your large intestine is trying to expel part of itself because it thinks it is a stool ready to be evacuated when what has happened is that it has folded in on itself and is getting confused messages. If you imagine a folding telescope the bit of your intestine that has 'folded' is giving the rest of your intestine the message that there is something there that needs to be expelled.

The telescoped bit must be quite near to your anus as it is causing your sphincter muscle to open voluntarily and leak gas and wont allow it to shut itself properly after passing a stool either.

The good news is that your medics don't feel the need to operate but treatment for something like this cannot be delayed as the folded part of the bowel can die without an adequate blood supply so don't avoid treatment for any reason.

Good luck and I'd be very interested for some further news from you after you are a new man as I'm curious to know how they will rectify the problem. But don't worry unduly. Medical science can do amazing stuff these days.

The only thing they can't seem to cure is simple internal hemorrhoids which you have not got and I have, ironic really.

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-01-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
(male)

leutnant HB User

^^^ Thank you man! I have been going through this problem for at least 5 years now and I've never been able to describe it as eloquently as you just put it. Thanks

Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
(male)

leutnant HB User

Any other suggestions? anyone?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User

Leutnant - I have a rectal intussusception and had surgery for it 7 weeks ago. I hope you see this and reply becuase I am very keen to know how you got on and how it was treated and what your condition is now please?

Closed Thread