It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

Japes035 HB User
Upper right abdominal discomfort. Friend has colon cancer so now i'm scared.

I have had this discomfort for about 18 months. I have another doctors appt at the end of march. Two days ago, my best friend of 24 years--who is like my brother and is 6 weeks younger than me, 37 years old--called and told me he has colon cancer. So now I am bugging out a little. He just found out so doesn't know what stage.

Pressure, bloating, discomfort in the upper right abdomen just under my last rib. Almost on my side. about 3 inches outboard of my nipple but lower. I have lower back pain which I have had for 20 years so that may or may not be related. Occasionally I will get some sharp pain up the back right of my neck. Again, that may be back pain related or related to this discomfort.

I had an ultrasound last year and was told everything looks all right but I had a lot of gas. I often feel like I have not emptied after having a bowel movement. Sometimes I strain. Sometimes I will have 3-5 movements in a couple hours. I never feel like i can get clean after bm. Just started dribbling after urinating (about 3-4 weeks ago). After eating something fatty I will have diarhea after which I feel unbloated, back pain feels diminished, and the pressure/discomfort is gone. I have given myself enemas several times and once after the enema i felt absolutely NO back pain or discomfort--first time in 20 years. It came back a couple days later but for 2 days I felt like superman. Exercise makes me feel better.

Mother has biliary cirrosis and just had her gallbladder out.

After learning about my friend I am VERY, VERY concerned about this feeling as well about him. Something is not right here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Upper right abdominal discomfort. Friend has colon cancer so now i'm scared.

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I would not jump to conclusions about you having the same thing, but I would get yourself checked out because 18 months of pain is too much!

Pain in that particular area could be the gall bladder, pancreas, or liver. The colon is situated low in your abdomen.

Let us know how things come out...Good luck

Old 03-02-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
(male)

GodHand HB User
Re: Upper right abdominal discomfort. Friend has colon cancer so now i'm scared.

There are a lot of reasons for your symptoms. Don't consider cancer until you get a diagnosis. I was convinced I had cancer, and ended up having mild colitis instead.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

Hello, if excercise is relieving the pain it sounds like an intussusception to me. It could be that your movement is stretching the part of your intestine that has folded making you feel better for short periods. If your intestine was not folded when the scan was done it wouldn't have shown anything, giving your medics the impression that there was no problem. It isn't life threatening and might explain your back pain and other sharp pain you have suffered intermittently over a long period but it certainly needs sorting out if that is what it is because of all the other symptoms it may be causing. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
(male)

Japes035 HB User
Thanks

I am a very level headed person it's just that this news of my friend and the unknown about myself had me worried. I doubt very much it is cancer. I just figure I should get back to my doctor and try to figure out what it is. I felt a little dismissed last time as they never went any further.

Closed Thread