It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
(female)

joesgirlmillie HB User
Has anyone else had left colon removed or illestomy bag?

Hi all, After 10 operations on my bowel these are the two options I am left with, i would love to hear from anyone who has had either operations done to know how it affected them, Ive been through hell last 3 half years and am bedrridden most of the time at 34 yrs old. Any advice is greatly received, ive been through so much to be out of pain would be so nice. x

Last edited by moderator2; 03-05-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Has anyone else had left colon removed or illestomy bag?

There is an ostomy association that you can search out. If you do not get responses here, you might try colo-rectal cancer boards - where you will find discussions about dealing with ostomies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

Cat Az HB User

I had my ileostomy for 10 months. During this time I was going thru chemo and radiation and then 6 more months of chemo. I had an easy time with my stoma and ostomy. I found a good appliance and bags to use. The Ostomy Book is good to read on this, and is very helpful. My reversal went well. No one prepared me for after though. Right after the reversal the frequency issues started. BM's as many as 19 times a day. Then the soreness. I can control this now with lomotil. Also I have to be careful what I eat and how much I eat every day or I will have soreness. At least now I can travel some and with the meds I can go for about 6 hours and not be in the bathroom. With the bag I could eat most anything and go anywhere and not worry. I seriously thought I had made a mistake by having my reversal. I hope you find a DR that can help with your issues, my surgeon wasn't much help. The sites for ostomates helped me alot. God bless.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed because of chronic diverticular bleeding. It was an open type of surgery and done 3/4/02. It was from the rectum and took all of the sigmoid colon plus part that was thinning.

After recovery, I have had basically no problems.

Harry

Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
(female)

Calgary Flames HB User

I have had crohnes for 20 yrs now. I had my large intestine completley removed around 19 yrs ago. It's not so bad once your body adjusts to the fact it has only one intestine to deal with. But living with a small intestine only is not bad at all. You do go to the bathroom almost after every meal as there is not alot of staorage area anymore. Deal with more diareahea or if you take remicade then your bowel movements are once per day.

I should also add that I was reconnected and don't have an ililostomy. I refused to go through surgery and would rather have died then have an iliostomy so they the doc struck a deal with me that he would reconnect me with no iliostomy...best choice I have ever made. Even though things were not all that great after surgery I was still having alot of issues with crohnes. (doctors worse case as he put it). Then about 7 yrs ago I started on remicade best thing they come uo with. I have been in resmission for 7 yrs now. But dealing with other auto immune disease so It seems like I'm never out of the woods.

So to sum up living without your large intestine is no issue. It may take your body a few yrs to adjust but non the less it will and life can and will be back to normal been 19 yrs for me. So go ahead and have the surgery maybe the best choice you can make as well.

Good luck and keep me posted

Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
(female)

joesgirlmillie HB User

It is now decided I am having a hemicolectomy in 4 weeks, I know il have urgency, he is taking my sigmoid colon and left side, and also some of right if its damaged. Dreading it but I really need some quality of life, cuz at present I have none. Thank you all for replying, it def has helped me, i can read books etc but its always better to hear from people who have been there. Il let you know how my surgery goes on 1st May.xx

Closed Thread