It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
(female)

ErinSunshine7 HB User
Need Help---Bacterial Infection

Hello everyone. I know this is a Message Board about our MMB's. However I figured I would vent about me and see if anyone here has experienced this themselves or has any advice. Normally I am posting about Cody but right now I just need a friend-someone to vent to about me. I'm sorry to use this board about my own issues, I'm just a SAHM who really doesn't have alot of close friends around me.

I am a 25 y.o. Female who is normally healthy. Last Tuesday, I woke up with some stomach pain and naseaua. Started running a fever a couple hours later and chills. Then came the diarrhea. The worst in my life. I went about 50 times on Tuesday, 50 times on Wednesday, and 50 times on Thursday. I was going about 5-6 times an hour. My stomach gurggled constantly and I had extreme painful gas which made me unable to walk at times. I ended up in the hospital Thursday for dehydration. They said it was a stomach bug. They did do an ultrasound of my kidneys, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, and appendix. All came back normal. They also did blood work which came back normal. They did a rectal exam to make sure that I did not have any blood. That came back negative. So they sent me home and said give it a few more days. Well Friday and Saturday the same thing continued. I thought I was going to die. On Saturday I called the on call doctor at my PCP office and he called me in Cipro and Flagyl thinking it was bacterial. I also started taking Acidolphilus pills (Pro-Biotics) like yogurt 3 times a day when I started the anti-biotics. Sunday I was still about the same, however on Monday I started to feel even better. I went to the doctor yesterday (Tuesday)---a week after this all started---and told him even though I am feeling so much better I am still having a little diarrhea about once or twice a day. He told me that was normal and may last a few more days and that I could start eating a regular diet again. I was so sick of living off of Gatorade and Crackers for a week! Well last night I did eat a nice sized small dinner and this morning now day 10 of all this crap, I still did have a little diarreah this morning. Will this ever get back to normal? I am starting to think that I will never have a normal stool again and am getting very depressed. It leaves me very anxious knowing that I have to leave the house some days and am afraid to. I am really getting sad about this. Can anyone give me any suggestions/advice? I also noticed that I am not urinating nowhere near as much as I used to. I am drinking plenty of water though. Do you think it could be because I lost so much last week when I was really sick and my body is replenishing it? I really don't know what to think at this point. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: Need Help---Bacterial Infection

Hello, sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. Is sounds like a severe case of food poisoning to me. Alternatively are you sure that your drinking water is uncontaminated? Do you drink from a tap or a well?

The extra liquid you are drinking has been expelled in your diarrhea which is why you don't seem to urinate as much as you used to. As you have dehydrated yourself your body is adjusting itself to obtain its equilibrium.

Don't worry unduly as you seem to be over the worst and on the mend. But if you cannot pin your problems down to something you have eaten do check your drinking water for purity.
Good luck.

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-05-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

ErinSunshine7 HB User

Hello, yes I agree with you about the urination. It seems the as my diarrhea is starting to slow down, I am starting to urinate more. I drink strictly bottled water as we are on well water and I don't trust it. Thanks for the encourgaging words-makes me feel I will be back to normal soon I hope!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
(male)

I wonder if you have managed to ingest well water in something and you have not been aware of it. Maybe washed some salad with it or something? Have your well water tested and if it contains the clostridium difficile bacteria you will know that the main suspect for your bacterial infection is the water. I'd be interested to know. Cheers.

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-05-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
(female)

ErinSunshine7 HB User

I was thinking the same thing. However, my husband drinks this water all of the time and has no problem with it whatsoever, so I guess we will have to see.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
(male)

Well the two antibiotics he has prescribed are used against Crohns and C-diff so he is thinking along the same lines. Are you feeling any better today?

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-06-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
(female)

ErinSunshine7 HB User

Yes I am thank you!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
(male)

So the finger points at salmonella then.
Glad to hear you are over the worst and on the mend.
Good luck for the future.

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-07-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Closed Thread