It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
(male)

nelco HB User
Question Colon Cleansing doubter....help

Ok, I hate to believe everything I hear, especially if it's on an info-mercial. But my close friends have recently done a colon cleansing treatment using a series of shakes, bars and whatever else was in the "kit" they bought. It was done at home and the initial treatment was called a "fast" because all you can eat and drink is what's included in the kit and 64oz. of water... daily. It was 5 days in duration.

They swear by it! They say they now have more energy, regular B.M.'s, decreased sweet cravings and better quality sleep. Could this be possible? They claim that this treatment physically cleans your intestines, colon, rectum or whatever. I find this hard to believe. At best I would say that it helped with mild constipation only because it was a high fiber/low protien diet accompanied by lots of water.

I guess my question is... are these cleansing treatments effective? If I could visit a proctologist and have a full scope of my insides before and after a colon cleanse I would be more of a believer, but for now I'm calling B.S.

Can someone give me some feedback please?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Colon Cleansing doubter....help

I agree with you. Your friends feel a little better because they are eating healthy and enjoying a tasty placebo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: Colon Cleansing doubter....help

Colon cleansing cleans EVERYTHING out including the "good" bacteria essential to proper digestion.

I currently take a probiotic supplement which encourages the growth of these "good" bacteria. They then outnumber the "bad" bacteria and aid in so-called "slow digestion" (food hanging out in your intestines for days and days).

I don't think a colon cleanse is a good idea, but I know some people swear by them. I've had enough digestive issues not to want to take that chance.

Closed Thread