It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

holdingon HB User
Sneak Attack Hemorrhoid Banding

I really just need to vent. I am having delayed reaction ****** off-ness.

I went to a colorectal surgeon for a consult about a fissure. He took a look with an anoscope. He said I had a fissure between two hemorrhoids. I heard him ask the nurse for a band. I didn't know what he was talking about...I thought it was an instrument or something. Next thing I know...PAIN! He put a rubber band on one! I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand up straight and I was sweating. They had to get me a cold towel and some water. He said he could apply more anesthetic and I resisted at first...I was already outside of the exam room... but I couldn't think straight so I put my butt up in the air one more time, had the anoscope put in again and I think he put a band on the other one before applying more anesthetic! I was so out of it that I don't know. I know this sounds weird that I was so unaware but the pain was bad and the damage was already done. He gave me a script for percocet and no other instructions. I don't know if I would have chosen this procedure...maybe so, but it would have been nice to have an option. I'm coming off of a surgery that had a six week recovery time and I don't have medical leave. This is a procedure you need to plan for. Pain in the backside is nothing you want to have to sit at work with. When will this pain go away???

Last edited by holdingon; 03-09-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: Sneak Attack Hemorroid Banding

Jeezus that is a rotten thing to do to somebody without even asking them first. Particularly as you have a fissure to deal with as well and they are murder just on their own. I don't know how you have managed to continue to work to be honest.

I have never experienced rubber banding but I have seen lambs castrated by the method and what happens is after a while numbness sets in and then their testicles eventually drop off because everything on the outside of the band dies. It usually takes a few weeks to happen but the numbness must kick in pretty quick (after a few hours) because they stop hoping about then.

I used to have a fissure but still have hemorrhoids now and again but you have convinced me never to go for that procedure, ever.

A junior stand-in consultant tried to convince me to have that procedure done in his room without any preparation and no anesthetic. At the time I thought he was joking or had never experienced himself the rawness and tenderness when you have a fissure and hemorrhoids together. Needless to say I refused.

Much of your pain is probably down to the fact that you were swollen and raw to begin with so not only have you got the banding to contend with you also have the swelling of an ordinary attack of hemorrhoids to deal with as well and that is on top of your fissure. Lord above! I'm surprised you even let him take a look under those conditions. I know I couldn't.

Hemorrhoids usually have a knack of returning so I'll keep the ones I've got already thank you very much.

I hope you feel better soon. You have my sympathies.

Last edited by kennyboy; 03-10-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

I recently had banding done. The pain is awful.

I had a colonoscopy done because I'm turning 50. I told him I had hemorrhoids and asked him to remove them. He said he had several methods and said he would use the one that was most appropropriate for the size an type of hemorrhoid. What he did NOT tell me about was the pain - until afterward. I said it HURTS and could I please have some medication. They said oh, we really don't offer medication, so I said could you grab my purse and give me some of my own Tylenol. She cheerfully said "sure"! but as you know Tylenol doesn't work very well. I can't take Motrin or Aleve because of lethal allergies to it. It's been several days and I still can't sit down for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Sorry to hear about your "sneak attack" - you could sue him for that, I'm pretty sure.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
(female)

jlb1191 HB User
Re: Sneak Attack Hemorrhoid Banding

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
I really just need to vent. I am having delayed reaction ****** off-ness.

I went to a colorectal surgeon for a consult about a fissure. He took a look with an anoscope. He said I had a fissure between two hemorrhoids. I heard him ask the nurse for a band. I didn't know what he was talking about...I thought it was an instrument or something. Next thing I know...PAIN! He put a rubber band on one! I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand up straight and I was sweating. They had to get me a cold towel and some water. He said he could apply more anesthetic and I resisted at first...I was already outside of the exam room... but I couldn't think straight so I put my butt up in the air one more time, had the anoscope put in again and I think he put a band on the other one before applying more anesthetic! I was so out of it that I don't know. I know this sounds weird that I was so unaware but the pain was bad and the damage was already done. He gave me a script for percocet and no other instructions. I don't know if I would have chosen this procedure...maybe so, but it would have been nice to have an option. I'm coming off of a surgery that had a six week recovery time and I don't have medical leave. This is a procedure you need to plan for. Pain in the backside is nothing you want to have to sit at work with. When will this pain go away???
hello, experienced the same thing--no consent, no warning--and I have contacted an attorney--wonder how you are doing. I am on day 14 post banding and now have grade 4 thrombus prolapsed hemm's that are necrotic. Having surgery but not sure which one yet--feel free to read my other post and how this happened and if you are still suffering--get into a doc.. good luck!!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
(male)

majorpayne HB User

I had a banding done yesterday. I ended up in the ER a couple of hours later because the pain was unbearable. The doctor never prepared me for the pain I was in store for, no pain medication offered, nothing. I'm doing a bit better today, but of course, I'm taking a steady dose of percocet (got it after 3 hours in the ER). Reading some of the other threads on this topic, it seems that this can be an extraordinarily painful procedure. It's amazing that this can be done without pain pills offered or a talk about what to expect. I had no anesthetic used during the procedure. I'm hoping it will get better soon. I wish you the very best.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
I had a banding done yesterday. I ended up in the ER a couple of hours later because the pain was unbearable. The doctor never prepared me for the pain I was in store for, no pain medication offered, nothing. I'm doing a bit better today, but of course, I'm taking a steady dose of percocet (got it after 3 hours in the ER). Reading some of the other threads on this topic, it seems that this can be an extraordinarily painful procedure. It's amazing that this can be done without pain pills offered or a talk about what to expect. I had no anesthetic used during the procedure. I'm hoping it will get better soon. I wish you the very best.
Just to let all know--spoke with attorney today about details and not only do I have a case but he plans on getting him for malpractice, breech of informed consent and battery. Please stop these doctors from doing this to more people!!!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

I work for an insurance company and I hate to see people sue doctors, but I'm glad in this case. Your story is a perfect example of what can go wrong with the medical profession- how arrogant of him to do that procedure during what you thought was "a consult" without telling you about it and explaining the limitations you'd have till you recovered fully. (I can see from the other stories on this Board that hemorrhoid banding is a Big Deal.)
Good luck, and I hope you're sitting comfortably soon.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Thank you and I hope you both heal quickly!!! This is a major procedure which people are not aware of. These doctors have no right to do any procedure on you without permission and even with, you need more information on the recovery. I am on 18 days and still feel only about 75% back to normal. I have lost 3 weeks with my kids and suffered tremendously!!! I have stopped the pain meds today--today (18 days later)!!!!! Just crazy!! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!! No one should have to suffer like this!!!!!

Closed Thread