It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

mich423 HB User
Question Paste like stools hard to pass! Help!

Hi! Well I had my anal manometry and everything showed normal except the nurse told me I have A sensitivity at one point of my lower bowel sphincter more than most people. But I'm worried! She gave me a diet regimen and I am following it except I am taking Metamucil instead of Citrucel. Years ago I used Metamucil and it worked good, but now all it is giving me are pastey stools which are hard to pass, not formed stools like it used to. I have to use fleet enemas and warm water to help them pass, along with my finger to sort of pull them out. Then I get terrible cramps, like I'm not emptied out. What am I doing wrong?? Does anyone else have this problem? Should I stick it out with the Metamucil?

I also should add I have been using Milk of Magnesia for about 9 months and it was working great up until recently, so I decided I had better follow the diet the nurse gave me. I know this is bad because the stools weren't formed at all! But it feels worse now! I need advice.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
(female)

mich423 HB User
Angry Re: Paste like stools hard to pass! Help!

Why hasn't at least one person replied? Does no one else have this problem? I am hurting and I need some advice. Please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: Paste like stools hard to pass! Help!

My advise is to stop taking the laxatives and use a natural stool softener like olive oil. The trouble with these laxatives is that they are alright up to a point and then when your body ajusts to them they start to give you more problems than they are worth.

Olive oil is the natural way to keep your movement soft and regular (with a correct diet of course).

Old 03-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
(female)

suzyljank HB User

Increase your fluid intake. Not enough fluid with metamucil can cause constipation. I myself use miralax and benefiber daily. I didn't care for metamucil because it made the stool too large and I recently had surgery for a fissure so the last thing I want to do is pass a large stool. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I agree-- You need to intake more water. At least 6 to 8 glasses daily.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

mich423 HB User

Thank you all for your advice! I just have a few questions:

I don't think I need a stool softener because I am trying to bulk up my stools, and they are already so soft I can't get them out easily. I have to use my finger and if that sounds crazy, believe me I have waited for it to come down by itself and it just seems to sit there, so I strain so hard, but little to nothing unless I help it along.

I would like to ask suzyijank about what time do you take the miralax and the benefiber? I was taking milk of magnesia for about 9 months but recently the doctor told me if I don't bulk up my stools they will always be hard to pass. The MOM was waking me up very early and it was like diahrea. But at least I wasn't in pain! Does the Miralx give you sudden urges(rushing to the bathroom) and how long does it last? I am scheduled for a defecography and I am hurting so badly I'm hoping they will be able to do it! Perhaps I should go back on the mom until the test is over. What does everyone think?

Thanks again!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
(female)

suzyljank HB User

Hi, you almost sound like you have a rectocele have you ever been checked for one.
I take my miralax before I go to bed. I usually take a little more than the capful that is recommended and it's very gentle, no cramps no sudden urges. You'll have to adjust according to your needs and that takes a little. When I first started to use it I would go more often in the morning but after a while it slows up some. I take benefber a double dose 2 to three times a day. Usually with tea in the morning and juice in the afternoon or evening and if things are a little slow I'll take a little more at night. With the benefiber start out slowly. If you try to take too much too fast you'll get gassy. I know I tried that. Once you get used to it there shouldn't be a problem. I got my anal fissure because I had a hard time passing the stool. I had to strain so much and it wasn't that I was constipated so much as it was just hard to get out. I start my day with spoon sized shredded wheat and I eat other things with fiber throughout the day and it's helped. The hardest part for me is to just sit down and relax on the toilet and not push so much. If I feel I have to strain I increase the miralax a little. I wish you good health and no more pain. Suzy.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
(female)

NoRelief HB User

Make sure you take the Metamucil straight after a meal, so it does not go through by itself. As said earlier, drink a lot of water at the same time.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
(female)

nura HB User

hi!!!!
i knw it has been long since u have posted this but i wanted to check did u appen to get ne improvement in the condition. i am facing the similar problem for years now. sticky paste like stool and need to have tea and lots and lots of water create little pressure and to pass even if it is and the end of rectum. was diagnosed for chronic gastritis and deodinitis and prescriped pentop HP for 15 days with few colon anti spasm meds.. felt good for a month, good bowel movement without pressure. but then again it was same,, bloating,pain in left side and ya frequent uriniation after bowel movement as i have to spend atleast 30 min to feel little emptiness... plz help.. if ne1 can

Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
(female)

J72264 HB User

I have the same problem. I eat a lot of fiber and drink plenty of water but they never work. I've developed a dependence on enemas and laxative which are the only things that help me past stools. I'm trying to get off them and I'm hoping you've found something that helps you.

Closed Thread