It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
(male)

leutnant HB User
considering rectal intussusception surgery

I am considering surgery for rectal intussusception.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-26-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User
Re: rectal intussusception surgery

Hi Leutnant, I just posted a reply to your other thread on this subject. I had surgery for this condition 7 weeks ago. I won't go into details now because I suspect you have now been sorted as this thread started many months ago. I hope you see this as I would be keen to know how you go on and indeed anyone else who had/has this condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
(male)

leutnant HB User

Wow, I had forgotten I had ever posted this thread.

I still haven't gotten surgery for my condition: I have a recto-rectal intussusception. I do not have any symptoms of constipation or pain. What I do have is the fact that my anus gapes open. The intussusception has "intussuscepted" to the level of the opening of my anus. What this has done is that it has stretched the opening of my anus to the point that I release odors from there without knowing; however, I do not have fecal incontinence.

I can't sit (especially on soft surfaces like sofas/couches) for any significant amount of time before my anus starts to feel loose.

I have found a (very) temporary fix to this problem. If I take a gloved finger and thrust it into the edge of the opening of my anus, the intussusception recedes back and my anal sphincter muscles contract, closing the anus. This gives me relief for a few minutes to an hour, and then as the intussuception "intussuscepts" back into the level of the opening of my anus, the symptoms return.

All I really need from a surgery is to have the intussusception not "intussuscept" into the opening of my anus. Is this really too hard?

Last edited by Administrator; 02-26-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
(male)

Leutnant - I am intrigued to ask what is stopping you from having the surgery?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
(male)

leutnant HB User

My surgeon asked me a few months ago if I wanted to get a surgery done. I had had 2 video defecographies by that point, and they both proved my condition. I still felt that I did not have enough evidence to go through with the surgery so I wanted to have an open MR defecography done- a test which is relatively new and I couldn't find anyone in the U.S. who could do it.

My gastroenterologist (GI) has strongly told me that he does not support me getting a surgery done; he has told me that if I were his brother, he would not support my choice.

It's a difficult decision to make. I could forgo this surgery and learn to live with this condition- which I really don't want to do- or I could go ahead and get it done but it might mess me up because it's a risky procedure. hmmm.....

btw, the name of the surgery is: laparoscopic rectopexy with colon resection.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
(male)

leutnant HB User

Thank for responding Idkwia. It's nice to be able to talk to someone who has gone through something similar like me. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what were the symptoms that you were experiencing prior to the surgery? Are you experiencing them now?

Last edited by Administrator; 01-05-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
(male)

Leutnant - thanks for the response.
The symptoms I had before surgery were that I very often felt as though I had a golf ball stuck in my rectum. I no longer feel that and I am generally able to defecate better. The surgeons I saw all said that they couldn't make me as I was when I was 21 again but they could improve the situation markedly, which is what happened. People who have this condition will have various symptoms depending on exactly where the prolapse is and how large it is. As you know some people will suffer a full prolapse where the colon will come out through the anus. These people have to have surgery. It is suggested that an internal prolapse will eventually lead to a full prolapse but I believe this has not been proven. If you want to ask any more questions then please feel free. Good luck.

Last edited by idkwia; 12-04-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
(male)

leutnant HB User

I'm going to post back when/if I get an appointment with my doctor. Until then, I hope things go alright with you and that your surgery will prove to be a success, by the will of god.

Last edited by leutnant; 12-08-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
(male)

Leutnant - ok, good luck and don't forget to post back to keep up informed.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-26-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
(male)

leutnant HB User

I finally got the surgery scheduled, thanks be to God! Here is what my surgeon plans to do:

Quote:
Laparoscopic sigmoid colon resection, posterior rectopexy,
mobilization of splenic flexure, colorectal anastomosis, intraoperative
rigid proctoscopy, incidental appendectomy, possible use of daVinci
surgical robot.
I've told him that I do not want to have my appendix removed, so please ignore the "incidental appendectomy."

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
(male)

leutnant HB User

I got the surgery and I think it's been about 3 weeks now. Things are getting better, thanks be to God; though I think that having that intussusception for so long weakened my pelvic muscles (anal sphincters, etc.) muscles. I'm currently trying to follow a robust (imo) kegel exercise regimen and have been trying to eat a moderate amount of protein to aid in the process of strengthening the muscles.

The laparoscopic procedure went well. My belly button used to be an "innie" but now it's an "outie," and I have 3 incision scars.

Btw, my surgeon used sutures to tie down my intestines to my tail bone; he didn't use the mesh.

I pray to God that this solves my problem forever. Ameen. Funny how this problem caused me to turn to my religion and brought me closer to God.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
(female)

didal HB User

Hi Leutnant
I am really pleased you have had a successful surgery, may I ask how long you had the intussusception for & any ways you found of dealing with releiving the painful symtoms caused by it. What is a kegel exercise regime & how does that help this condition, ohh how I wish I had found this link before my surgery, with all the help everyone is giving me now things MAY have been different. I hope things continue to go well with your recovery, all the best, take care, & thank you
Didal x

Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #13
(male)

Leutnant - how are you getting on now, did the operation work?

Closed Thread