I am posting, hoping someone here may have a suggestion. I have been sick since Feb 10th. (this bout). I am usually admitted to the hospital when I get diverticulitis because I was taken off of Cipro years ago due to itching (doctor assumed it was an allergic reaction) and put on Augmentin plus Clindamicin for the next few years for diverticulitis. But soon this cocktail started to fail me. Soooo, I end up in the hospital on IV antibiotics everytime I get sick. For the past couple of years, Zosyn was my miracle drug. I would feel 100% better in just a couple of days once I started taking it. Soon I was being released and would finish my IV therapy at home. My attacks have gone from 4 or 5 a year to being sick every 6 weeks to 2 months. Last summer, Zosyn stopped working! I was admitted to the hospital and placed on Primaxin which worked right away! I was sent home to finish my IV therapy of Primaxin at home. This soon became my miracle drug, but I have had at least 8 attacks since last summer, and the last time I did home therapy with Primaxin, it failed me! I landed in the hospital again but was told this time, 2 weeks ago, that they had no clue what to put me on next, as I have been on the top two IV antibiotics. I have never been afraid where this disease is concerned until they told me this. I had already scheduled surgery to remove my entire decending colon and possibly more, for March 25th, but I have landed in the ER in terrible pain and they send me home after a shot of Toradol, and tell me to call my surgeon and see if he can move up my date. The problem is, my surgeon went out of town for over a week and has just now gotten back. His office told me he has nothing available before my surgery date, and to just hang in there. My last trip to the ER showed my white cell count to be 13,000. But they sent me home sick, saying there was nothing they could do for me and that surgery is my only answer. I was so sick and frustrated so I left that ER and drove to yet another ER. They gave me a prescription for Cipro and Flagyl. I was very reluctant to take the Cipro as I was taken off of it about 5 years ago due to itching. I was never able to take Flagyl due to flu like symtoms (body aches, fever and chills) so I start the Cipro. Within a couple of days I start to feel better. So this whole week I have been on the Cipro and took my last dose tonight. The problem though, is I started running a fever again today while still on the Cipro and am back to having pain again! I only have 10 days left before my surgery, but I can't seem to get well! My family practice doctor prescribed Avelox and Ampicillin because a pharmacist friend of mine said that combination may work. I have done some research online and I don't show these two drugs used in combination. I just took a dose of the Avelox tonight. I know it's in the same drug class as Cipro so I am thinking that if I am getting sick again now, while on the Cipro, how will Avelox work? Has anyone else out there experienced anything like what I have described? Drug resistant diverticulitis, and if so what should I do? Is there an antibiotic that they are missing? I am trying desperately to get well before my surgery as I fear having this infection spread during surgery. Also I don't want to end up with a two part surgery due to having to have a colostomy bag. Sorry for the length of this but trust me it's the very condensed version of what I have been going through. I am so hoping that someone can relate to my situation or can offer a suggestion...Help!
Last edited by 1longcoolwoman; 03-14-2009 at 11:09 PM.
First of all, I'm sorry you've been going thru so much. However, shame on your doctors for not suggesting surgery a long time ago. My understanding is that surgical intervention is indicated after 2-3 episodes of Diverticulitis. Given your history, I can't understand why surgery has been delayed.
Too bad you can't handle the Flagyl, as it's specific to intestinal bacteria.
IMO, you should bug the surgeon to move up your date. I understand you wanting to feel better going into surgery but, after reading all of the drugs you've taken, I can't imagine what combination would work. When my abcess was discovered, I spent 5 days hooked up to IV Cipro and Flagyl and then sent home with 2 weeks worth of same (oral). My surgeon wanted to wait for the inflammation to decrease before he went in to remove the diseased colon. Luckily, I felt great at the time of my surgery...better than I had in a long time.
You're feeling lousy anyway...so maybe give the Flagyl a chance? It may buy you the time you need.
wow, you are going through a lot....i am having surgery this wednesday,sep 9th....and i am almost looking forward to it in a way....make all the frequent pain stop.....i am to worried about something in a next episode rupturing , so i wanted a quick date....i so hope you can get well soon , and have them help you , by taking the bad part out!blessings , katja