It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

don NC HB User
Wink PPH Hemorroid Surgery My Experience

Hi, I'm 40 and had a problem with internal hemorrhoids that were bleeding alot with my BM. After many visits to the Colon doctor, Colon/Rectul surgean recommended PPH. I had the surgery Friday morning a 9:00. I was put to sleep and was layed on my stomach. I woke up about an hour later. Besides being out of it a little, I felt pretty good. A little discomfort in the rectul area but not much. I was num in the mid section for about 4 hours then it went away. I was able to urinate fine. I am on Toridal, one every six hours, and percocet one or two every four hours. I do not feel much pain. I am kinda gasey. I am eating pretty normal, trying to do more fiber. I have taken two warm bathes, but I don't think I needed to. I slept alot the first day and sat around alot on day two. It does not hurt me that bad to sit around. I am just a little loopy from the pain meds. Maybe I am hurting and just don't know it because of the pain meds. It is Sunday now and I still feel the same. I have not had a BM yet. I took some Milk of Magnesa this morning. I don't feel like I need to go. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. I will keep you posted.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
(female)

Sunny1157 HB User
Re: PPH Hemorroid Surgery My Experience

How are you feeling now? I'm have a colonoscopy done Monday. Had one a 2-1/2 years ago and showed large internal and external hemorrhoids. I had two banded over a year ago. Now I've been having painless bleeding (bright red) with bowel movements pretty consistently. The doctor is pretty sure it's the hemorrhoids and mentioned I may need a hemorroidectomy. But just to be safe is giving the colonoscopy. You're experience doesn't sound too bad, but some of them out on the internet are really scarey. If you don't mind my asking, how much/often did you bleed? Mine is getting more frequent. Out of the last 4 days, I bleed 3 them.

I hope you're feeling better and on the road to a speedy recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
(male)

don NC HB User

My bleeding was consistant for three months. I chose PPH because it seemed to be the middle of the road, between banding and the traditional cutting procedures. On day three and four I took a down turn, I got really nauseaus and sick to my stomach. The next two BM were painful. One I cryed. But after those two days everything started getting better. I have stopped taking the drugs on day 6 and the pain is at about a 1 or 2 on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst. Some of the stories scared me too. Surgery is surgery and pain will be involved. Your body has to get through that. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
(female)

Sunny1157 HB User

Glad to hear you're feeling better and hope you continue to improve. Did you ever try the banding? If he feels it worthwhile. my doctor is going to do this when I'm out getting the colonoscopy. Like I mentioned in my previous message, I had this done to a couple of them last year by a protologist. Since my doctor already mentioned a hemorrhoidectomy, if the banding can't be done or won't work that will be my next step. I get the colonoscopy Tuesday, not Monday. Monday is the wonderful prep day so I have that day on the brain.

Thanks again for responding.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
(male)

don NC HB User

My surgen talked about banding, but it would of taken 3 to 4 visits, and it is not a 100% cure. I figure why not get it done in one shot. And what is good about PPH is they have not touched my hemorrhoids. I am still a little sore today. Still having to figure out my BM. A little sore after I have one. It is sort of a slow process but in the long run it will pay off. I would not do the traditional surgery unless you absolutly have too!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
(female)

Sunny1157 HB User

Hi again,

I did my colonoscopy prep today. This time my gasto. had me use go-lytely instead of the phospho soda. It was hard getting it all down, tasted terrible. Did you have to have a colonoscopy to check your hemorrhoids? I was also wondering if you had to "prep" before your hemorrhoid surgery.

How are you feeling now? Are you glad you had the surgery? Do you still have to rectal bleeding?

Take Care!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
(male)

don NC HB User

I did have a Colonoscopy to check for the cause of bleeding. They found a Polyp and removed it, but it did not cause all the bleeding. They did notice the internal Hemorrhoids though. The surgery has been a success. It has taken about ten days to get back to normal. Week one was somewhat painful. I have no more bleeding now. I did have to do two quick prep enemas the morning before the surgery. They were simple to do and go very quick. Within 20 minutes. It was not painful. It was a liquid which you insert in your rectum.

Last edited by don NC; 03-24-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
(male)

matt2401 HB User

I had PPH surgery about 10 months ago, and I feel fully recovered now. Here is the highlights of what I expierenced for anyone looking at it:
1) Woke up from surgery in pain. Well managed by PACU staff, needed dilaudid to be pain free.
2) First week SUCKED! I won't lie, it was miserable. I was discharged with Lortab 10s, it did NOT cover the pain. I would have done better with Percocet. Make sure your surgeon will listen to your pain issues before the surgery. Also, got horribly constipated with the narcs so it was lose/lose.
3) 2nd week found the miracle called Miralax. Buy a BIG bottle of it before your surgery. No diarrhea with it but makes the stool oh soooo soft. Only a hemorrhoid sufferer could smile when I proclaim that Miralax was a gift from the rectal gods.
4) Pain down to 1 or 2 by week 3, but still up to an 8 during difficult bowel movements. Using lidocaine and miralax like its going out of style.
5) Much better 2nd month. Back to work (I do alot of lifting at work, ICU nurse, so didn't want to push it). Pain free mostly except bowel movments. Occasional very painful BM, more just anxiety with it.
6) Month 3-5 pain from rectal fissure. Finally found relief when treated with nitro paste.
7) Month 6 to today: complete recovery, no pain period.

Was it worth it? Yes, I was getting unbearable pain before the surgery. Just recognize it is major surgery and it is going to take time to heal. The result was worth it as I no longer dread a hemorrhoid flaring that would keep me in pain for weeks at a time.

Closed Thread