It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
(female)

eileen11 HB User
passing gas with mucus

I am waiting on a colonoscopy, but recently have excessive mucus which comes out when passing gas, I can not pass gas without mucus coming out, only when lying down. I do have IBS and hemorrhoids and now have constipation and pressure when passing anything, mucus is usually tinged with blood and bowel movements have been more infrequent and irregulary shaped. My IBS used to be Diarrhea type, now it's constipation type. Could it be something other than IBS and hemorrhoids? I am a 47 year old female.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User
Re: passing gas with mucus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen11 View Post
I am waiting on a colonoscopy, but recently have excessive mucus which comes out when passing gas, I can not pass gas without mucus coming out, only when lying down. I do have IBS and hemorrhoids and now have constipation and pressure when passing anything, mucus is usually tinged with blood and bowel movements have been more infrequent and irregulary shaped. My IBS used to be Diarrhea type, now it's constipation type. Could it be something other than IBS and hemorrhoids? I am a 47 year old female.
HOW MUCH HAVE YOU READ ON IBS? DO YOU HAVE OTHER ISSUES THAT YOU DONT THINK ARE RELATED? SKIN PROBLEMS, ETC? MOST ANYONE WILL GET HEMORRHOIDS FROM CONSTANT CONSTIPATION. ITS GOOD YOU'RE GETTING A COLONOSCOPY. I WOULDNT DO ANYTHING TILL YOU GET THAT. BUT, MY DAUGHTER HAS IBS, SHE HAS THE CONSTIPATION/DIARREHA ISSUES ALL THE TIME. AFTER 30 YEARS OF ALL HER PROBLEMS...LOW AND BEHOLD....SHES GLUTEN INTOLERANT...GUESS HOW WE FOUND THAT OUT ( I DID) FROM THIS BOARD. I HAD NEVER HEARD OF " GLUTEN INTOLERANT" BUT SAW IT IN HERE...OFTEN. SO, ONE DAY I LOOKED IT UP. MY POOR DAUGHTER HAD 95% OF ALL THE SYMPTOMS...AND FACTORS. (HER DAD HAS COLITIS AND HER BROTHER(MY SON) HAS CROHNS. SHES GOT THE SKIN DISORDERS..IBS...CONSTANTLY ENEMIC..DEHYDRATED...AND...WHEN SHE WAS 6...SHE GOT THE WORST OF ALL....BUT, WE NEVER KNEW WHAT WAS CAUSING ANY OF IT...TILL I SAW THE DEFINTION FOR GLUTEN INTOLERANT. SHE ALSO HAS A PITUATARY TUMOR (PROLACTINOMA) ANOTHER SYMPTOM. SO, SHE HAD THE BLOOD WORK DONE. WE WERE IN SHOCK...SHES SUFFERED ALL THESE YEARS...WITH ALL THIS MESS....AND IT WAS THAT SIMPLE. SHE ALSO HAS CONSTANT MUCUS IN HER STOOL. ONE OF THE BIGGEST SIGNS OF CELIAC DISEASEa( CAUSED BY GLUTEN INTOLERANCE)

The following user gives a hug of support to BOBERS47:
heathermeibe (03-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
(male)

GodHand HB User

Passing gas with mucus and blood is a classic symptom of IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease). With me, it was Ulcerative Colitis.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhand View Post
passing gas with mucus and blood is a classic symptom of ibd (irritable bowel disease). With me, it was ulcerative colitis.
the thing is.....ulcerative colitis is caused by something. As i said before...if you have one or more symptoms...and you have a first level relative with one or more symptoms...as in my daughter...she has ibs...her father has ulcerative colitis...hes had it since he was 29 years old...hes 60 now...my son has crohns...but, my daughter has the skin problem..mucus in her bowel...pituatary tumor...etc...they are all symptoms of " gluten intolerance...or celiac disease. Rare that anyone has ulcerative colitis that it isnt (and ibs) without it being...celiac disease or gluten intolerant or both. Read up on it....i'll bet a buck...you have more than just ibs...or ulcerative colitis...by itself. They dont know the cause...(so doctors say) because they dont associate the two. But, anything you read...most likely will tell you 100% of the time...if you have these intestinal problems....you are gluten intolerant or celiac disease. It is only serious...if you let it go untreated. Its worth investigating.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen11 View Post
i am waiting on a colonoscopy, but recently have excessive mucus which comes out when passing gas, i can not pass gas without mucus coming out, only when lying down. I do have ibs and hemorrhoids and now have constipation and pressure when passing anything, mucus is usually tinged with blood and bowel movements have been more infrequent and irregulary shaped. My ibs used to be diarrhea type, now it's constipation type. Could it be something other than ibs and hemorrhoids? I am a 47 year old female.
i dont think i've heard anyone say..." diarreah type, or constipation type" they go hand in hand with ibs. Do yourself a favor....look up " gluten intolerant, or celiac disease...dont just look at one website...look at many...see if you fit .....bet ya do...

Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
(male)

GodHand HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBERS47 View Post
the thing is.....ulcerative colitis is caused by something. As i said before...if you have one or more symptoms...and you have a first level relative with one or more symptoms...as in my daughter...she has ibs...her father has ulcerative colitis...hes had it since he was 29 years old...hes 60 now...my son has crohns...but, my daughter has the skin problem..mucus in her bowel...pituatary tumor...etc...they are all symptoms of " gluten intolerance...or celiac disease. Rare that anyone has ulcerative colitis that it isnt (and ibs) without it being...celiac disease or gluten intolerant or both. Read up on it....i'll bet a buck...you have more than just ibs...or ulcerative colitis...by itself. They dont know the cause...(so doctors say) because they dont associate the two. But, anything you read...most likely will tell you 100% of the time...if you have these intestinal problems....you are gluten intolerant or celiac disease. It is only serious...if you let it go untreated. Its worth investigating.
Nah...I was tested for Celiac Disease during an endoscopy biopsy and I do not have that.

The doctor told me years of constipation can cause Ulcerative Colitis, and I've been constipated since I was like 15 years old. He said that very well could have caused my IBD.

Closed Thread