It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User
C diff

Has anyone had...or know anyone that has had c diff? Its a severe infected form of colitis...its contagious. Would like to hear about your expeirence. I know you can have it on many levels....you can even have it and not know it. If not for this forum....we would have never known my daughter is " gluten intolerant" it has caused her many issues...ibs, etc...most of her life. And just a month ago...i read on this board about gluten intolerance....and it fit her to a t. Low and behold...thats what she has. So, this board can be invaluable...for people suffering and can't get answers. But, to me...the key is detail. I had to look up gluten intolerance to see what it was...so, thru all the websites....we've been educated. Trouble on these boards...people use...abbreviations..and give little detail...which could mean anything. Me and my hubby are just getting thru c diff....on different levels. We had to find out the hard way....please...give details...one little thing...could be a key for someone suffering. Even if you dont think its related. I would have never guessed with my daughter...that....ibs, what the docs called exzema(it wasnt and the meds never worked) autoimmune disease, low iron in her blood, tired all the time. On and on...i would have never known from others stories...i just happen to see many mention " gluten intolerant" didnt know what it meant...so, i looked it up....and bam!!!!! It was like reading about my daughter. Same with this c diff. It has many forms...so, detail is important...even if you think it may not be related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
Re: C diff

From what I can recall without looking it up I thought C-Diff was a bacterial infection that you pick up through ingestion. I don't think it's contagious though it might seem like it because if a family all suffer from it they think they've caught it off each other when it probably means they have all ingested the bacteria from the same source. You are right in saying that people can have it in a mild form without knowing it and it can become a problem if you take selective antibiotics that allow it to thrive.

I hope you remembered to thank whoever put you onto the gluten intolerance, not because I think they need a pat on the back or anything but it is very helpful to know if a diagnosis has been correct (for future reference). Doctors don't necessarily suffer from the ailments they try to cure and sometimes somebody who has had personal experience with a problem can give you a more accurate diagnosis, but it is important for them to know that they were right I as it helps that person to build up a body of knowledge. So many people get good advice on these boards and then you never hear from them again so none of us readers know if the advice helped or not.

Well done for returning to let us know that your daughter found what the problem was.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User

C-Diff is a bacterial infection it is one of the Super Bugs. There are many ways you can contact it but mostly found in Hospitals, Nursing Homes and can be found in Day Care facilities. My Mother-in-Law had it in the past few months and almost died from it. It is resistent to almost all antibiotics. It took them over two months to finally remove any traces of the C-Diff.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
from what i can recall without looking it up i thought c-diff was a bacterial infection that you pick up through ingestion. I don't think it's contagious though it might seem like it because if a family all suffer from it they think they've caught it off each other when it probably means they have all ingested the bacteria from the same source. You are right in saying that people can have it in a mild form without knowing it and it can become a problem if you take selective antibiotics that allow it to thrive.

I hope you remembered to thank whoever put you onto the gluten intolerance, not because i think they need a pat on the back or anything but it is very helpful to know if a diagnosis has been correct (for future reference). Doctors don't necessarily suffer from the ailments they try to cure and sometimes somebody who has had personal experience with a problem can give you a more accurate diagnosis, but it is important for them to know that they were right i as it helps that person to build up a body of knowledge. So many people get good advice on these boards and then you never hear from them again so none of us readers know if the advice helped or not.

Well done for returning to let us know that your daughter found what the problem was.
c diff is very contagious...and yes...mosty contracted from taking antibiotics and your good flora has been killed from it...so the bad takes over...or from the hospital...employees passing it to everyone they touch if they dont follow the rules. There are only two, i believe antibiotics that kill off most of it. But c diff has spores...which cant be killed with antibiotics. Normally once you have it....it will return...because of the spores. I know there are levels you can have it...." from...not knowing you have the bad bacteria...too it can kill you" my husbands...was very severe. Mine was bad...but not as bad as his. From what i've read....most people carry c diff...but, something has to trigger it....like your immune system being down...etc. My husband had just had two surgerys....so, his immune system was low..plus...the hospital stays from the surgery....both are key factors. The bloat...(caused from inflamation) nausea, diarreah, possibly blood (i thought my husband was going to bleed to death, and it was bright red blood) i never had any blood. Just my whole gut..was in dispair like i've never known. It was the most **** awful feeling. My husband said..." i just had to pray to get thru each minute...till hours later in the emergency room they put him on morphine. But, like i said...it can happen on any level...we are using the best probiotic (after lots of study) we could find. To help repair and make well our intestines....this doesnt go away like the stomach flu....it drags forever....especially the extreme tired. God help anyone that gets it.....but, yes..it is extremely contagious and can be deadly and is on the rise....big time

Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
(male)

knipex HB User

C.diff is a bacterial infection that's pretty common in the environment.

People can carry C.diff and remain symptom free (estimates vary between 5% and 20% of the population carry C.diff) until something disturbs the natural balance of your gut.

Imagine your colon. Itís full of bacteria but 99% of them are harmless. Better than harmless as they provide many useful functions. Some are actually help full and aid digestion, etc but their main useful function is that control the growth of the 1% that can cause harm. There is only so much space and resources available for these bacteria and the fact that good or harmless bacteria are taking up 99% of this space this limits the scope for the "bad bacteria" or pathogens to grow and take hold.

The problem occurs when this natural balance is affected and the good bacteria are killed off leaving space for the "bad bacteria" to grow and take hold.

Many things can cause this, diarrhoea from food poisoning, compromised immune system or taking broad spectrum antibiotics for extended periods. Even colonic irrigation is a risk factor as it can flush away these "good bacteria".

C.diff is a particularly nasty pathogen as it is spore forming. What this means is that when threatened by antibiotics, disinfectants or even an environment that it does not like it grows as shell around its sell and goes into hibernation. This shell is pretty hard and makes it extremely difficult to kill. It also allows C.diff to lie dormant in the environment for months just waiting for conditions to change so that it can come out of hibernation and grow again.

The other issue is that itís in the colon and this is a particularly hard area to treat. Almost anything that is taken orally is killed off by the time it reaches the colon as it has to pass through the stomach and intestines which are pretty inhospitable places. (C.diff can survive in its spore form.) Antibiotics are no different and are also affected. So are probiotics so there is some debate as to their effectiveness. (In my mind they are not going to do you any harm, could quite possible be beneficial so why not try them).

How C.diff affects the body is a little strange. C.diff in its self does you no real harm but it releases two separate toxins and it is these which cause the problem. They aggravate the lining of the colon causing severe pain and chronic diarrhoea, in extreme cases the colon can rupture causing sepsis and death but this is rare. The vast majority of people affected are elderly and of those who do die the majority have other underlying conditions.

C.diff is spread in the environment and as I said earlier as it is spore forming itís a difficult one to get rid of. Alcohol based hand gels are useless against C.diff and have no effect. When someone is infected they become in effect a C.diff factory constantly manufacturing more and more bacteria and as they have chronic diarrhoea these are constantly being expelled from the body in faecal matter. Good hygiene is critical to prevent the spread and while it sounds pretty easy containing all faecal matter is not easy. Large gross contamination is easy to spot but not all faecal matter is visible. C.diff is infamous for its smell; any health-care worker who has ever dealt with an infected patient will tell you that. What may surprise you is that an odour is actually solid matter is when you smell C.diff you are actually inhaling faecal matter in the air. Don't panic the quantities are so minute that itís harmless but all this matter has to obey the laws of physics and eventually settle on a surface. It does not take long for the environment to become contaminated.

Once in the environment C.diff will remain there quite happily for months on end. Itís resistant to disinfectants. Ammonia compounds are useless, bleach has limited usefulness unless it mixed so strong that it becomes dangerous and alcohol is a waste of time.

Once on the environment itís very easily spread. Less than 5 seconds of contact with a hand is enough to contaminate them and then you touch your mouth or something that will touch your mouth and they are ingested infecting the next patient.

Treatment options vary. For many patients once they are taken off the antibiotic the natural gut flora will return on its own. Some people recommend crushed oats in the diet to help this, some people swear by probiotics. In other cases a specific antibiotic is used to treat the infection and these have some success.
New treatments are being suggested all the time some with good success some with none. One such treatment is a faecal transplant where a donor (normally a spouse or family member as itís important that they share as much of the day to day environment as possible.) gives some of his or her poop which is taken to a laboratory and treated. This is then transplanted into the colon of the infected patient where the flora from the donor poop recolonised the patientís colon restoring the natural balance. It sounds disgusting but it has had some interesting results.

Preventing its spread is key.

Hand hygiene is vital for the patient, visitors and staff. Soap and water people forget antibacterial hand scrubs as they have no effect and will only promote spore formation.

Environmental hygiene is also important. Disinfectants donít work so again soap and water to try and remove the contamination rather than kill it. Recent studies using Hydrogen Peroxide Vapour to decontamination the environment have shown that itís extremely effective and killing off environmental contamination and a study by Boyce showed a significant drop in infection rates after its implementation.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
(female)

cblpn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBERS47 View Post
Has anyone had...or know anyone that has had c diff? Its a severe infected form of colitis...its contagious. Would like to hear about your expeirence. I know you can have it on many levels....you can even have it and not know it. If not for this forum....we would have never known my daughter is " gluten intolerant" it has caused her many issues...ibs, etc...most of her life. And just a month ago...i read on this board about gluten intolerance....and it fit her to a t. Low and behold...thats what she has. So, this board can be invaluable...for people suffering and can't get answers. But, to me...the key is detail. I had to look up gluten intolerance to see what it was...so, thru all the websites....we've been educated. Trouble on these boards...people use...abbreviations..and give little detail...which could mean anything. Me and my hubby are just getting thru c diff....on different levels. We had to find out the hard way....please...give details...one little thing...could be a key for someone suffering. Even if you dont think its related. I would have never guessed with my daughter...that....ibs, what the docs called exzema(it wasnt and the meds never worked) autoimmune disease, low iron in her blood, tired all the time. On and on...i would have never known from others stories...i just happen to see many mention " gluten intolerant" didnt know what it meant...so, i looked it up....and bam!!!!! It was like reading about my daughter. Same with this c diff. It has many forms...so, detail is important...even if you think it may not be related.
I have had c-diff but didn't contract it the ways that are listed in this post. I had surgery to remove an ovary and the surgeon "nicked" my bowel. The next day while in the hospital I had over 30, green, watery stools. I was diagnosed with c-diff. Placed on IV antibiotics of Vancomycin for 7 days. Sent home on oral vancomycin and was never told this was contagious. At the time I had 3 small children at home. Ever since that bout of c-diff my bowels have never been the same. Alot of loose stools for years now. Been tested for numerous diseases and conditions, all the test come back within normal limits, funny thing is, my body is not normal now. Do you call having completly watery stools for years normal? I have seen all the local gastro doctors, now I have an appointment in 2 weeks with a University Hospital. Hope this helps someone.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
(female)

joesgirlmillie HB User

I had c diff after a bowel operation and had diaherroea badly uncontrollable for 3 weeks, it was horrible, i was so ill

Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

When I had Clostrdium difficile (C diff.) in 2005, I had it for several months without realizing what it was. It was when I went to my Gastro doctor for a colonoscopy that I was made aware of it. I contracted it from being on antibiotics for almost two years for other problems.

During the several months I had C. diff, I went through some very difficult periods. With me, I had several episodes of nocturnal diarrhea where I would wake up in the middle of the night and find I had soiled the bed and it meant getting in the shower while my poor wife put clean sheets on the bed at 2:00 AM. I also had two episodes where I had accidents in public places, once at work. Fortunately, both times I was in a position where no one realized what had happened and I was able to go home and change.

The two antibiotics they use against C. diff are Flagyl and Vancomycin. My doctor went right to Vancomycin because I had such a severe case. I went through four courses of the medication, which costs about $1,400 retail. When that didn't work, they did what they referred to as a Fecal Transfer on me with my wife being the donor. She gave a feces sample, which they took and poured normal saline over and collected the liquid to use in the transfer. They did it as a normal Colonoscopy, only every approximately 10 cm the doctor would insert this liquid in my bowel. It was not a pleasant experience to go through, as the liquid was room temperature and was painful as it was inserted in my bowel.

This procedure is done quite frequently in Europe, but here in the United States it is still done as experimental and has not been approved (as far as I know) by the FDA. The only thing I can say, is it worked and I was able to get through the C. diff. I still take Probiotics, 500 mg per day, but I seem to be fine today. I do know I will never again take antibiotics, unless I absolutely have to for a life saving situation. Also, I am always extremely careful being in a hospital situation and practice extremely good hygiene. My wife has been hospitalized six times for gastro (Colitis) problems and when she is there, I wash my hands several times and be very careful not to touch anything that could be contaminated.

To those who have this dreadful condition, good luck in getting rid of it. If anyone has a question I could possibly answer for you, please don't hesitate in writing. It can be a private message if you want.

Closed Thread